It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Orders Within Freemasonry

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Circle

If a Grand Master ever dared to forbid a recognized "regular" Masonic Order, in his jurisdiction (I can't think why?), then he would be expelled from the wider global community.Grand Masters of the Scottish Rite or Royal Arch would have his balls cut off to put it politely.

Actually, there is a state where this sort of happens (I think it's West Virginia, but don't quote me on that). I just remember reading an article about the situation, where the GM issued an edict that one could not even discuss the "higher degrees" in the Blue Lodge or wear any such regalia (including tie tacks). Same thing for the auxiliary organizations.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Masonic Light

That's interesting! What ticked the GM off about the other Orders?

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

If a Grand Master ever dared to forbid a recognized "regular" Masonic Order, in his jurisdiction (I can't think why?), then he would be expelled from the wider global community.Grand Masters of the Scottish Rite or Royal Arch would have his balls cut off to put it politely.
Well, this happened a few years back...

The Grand Lodge of Arizona
Free and Accepted Masons
Edict No 2
WHEREAS The Grand Master is the Supreme Masonic Authority in Arizona; and

WHEREAS No organization within the State of Arizona whose requirement for membership includes that its members be Master Masons may fail to obey a direct order from the Grand Master of Masons in Arizona; and

WHEREAS The Potentate of El Zaribah Shrine has chosen to disobey a direct order given to him by the Grand Master of Masons in Arizona:

NOW THEREFORE, as Grand Master of Masons in Arizona, I hereby issue the following Edict No. 2:
EDICT No 2 2006-2007
Effective immediately no Mason may enter the El Zaribah Shrine Temple located at 552 North 40th Street, Phoenix Arizona 85008-6442 for any reason whatsoever unless he shall have obtained the written permission of the Grand Master of Masons in Arizona to do so, with the following exceptions:

1. Officers and/or Members of Thunderbird Lodge No. 15 for the sole purpose of obtaining the Lodge's mail and/or removing Lodge paraphernalia from the premises
2. Officers of the Grand Lodge of Arizona in the performance of their official duties.
Given under my hand this 28th day of April, AD. 2007 A.L. 2007
Rex R. Hutchens
Grand Master of Masons in Arizona
burningtaper.blogspot.com...
I have no reason to believe that M.W. Bro. Hutchens is missing any dangly bits.

posted on Jan, 12 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

Originally posted by JoshNorton
So a Grand Master, who might not be a 33° Scottish Rite Mason, can, at will, declare that Ron Seale is not a Mason.

Does the Louisiana Constitution actually say he can do it "at will"?

In most jurisdictions, trials are held for unmasonic conduct. The GM can reverse the decision temporarily, but must answer to the Grand Lodge, which can in turn overrule the GM's decision. I know of no Constitution to expel a member "at will", as there must be a serious reason for expulsion.
Perhaps not "at will" or "on sight". I may have exaggerated a bit. But ultimately, the GM does outrank the SGC.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

However, the Mason who is privy to the teachings and secrets of the Appendant Orders is obviously, more powerfully furnished with masonic knowledge, than the person who just stays within the Craft. That's just common sense.

Yes, but similarly, a Mason who has joined the Mark Side order will have much more masonic knowledge than a 33° Mason in that field of study.

This is exactly the point that we are trying to get across. The Scottish rite is a side degree for Masons who are interested in that particular aspect of Masonic Knowledge.

A 33° who joins the Mark, or the Cryptic degrees, or any other side order, would start at the very bottom in those degrees, and has no influence or power over any other Mason in those degrees.

In terms of Masonry globally, a high ranking master mason (third degree) in terms of office has more power that any 33° mason who does not hold office. In fact even within the Scottish order, a 4° degree Scottish Rite Mason who holds an office holds more power in the Scottish order than a 33° Mason who does not hold office.

An analogy:

It is like saying all Masons are Mathematicians.

A particular Mason decides to do post-grad studies in Linear Algebra (Scottish Rite). He does his honours (4°), Masters (18°) and Doctorate in Linear Algebra (33°).

Another Mason decides to do a post-Grad in Calculus. He does his doctorate in Calculus (Secret Monitor).

Now, they both join a university, and the head of department is a mathematician, with authority over both of them. Yes, they both hold specialized knowledge, but it would be totally incorrect to say that the Doctor of Linear algebra is higher in any way than a mathematician in any other field of study.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:03 AM
link   

[I have no reason to believe that M.W. Bro. Hutchens is missing any dangly bits.

Double check please.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Saurus

Excellent analogy, thanks for that.

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

[I have no reason to believe that M.W. Bro. Hutchens is missing any dangly bits.

Double check please.

Some things need to be taken on faith as to do otherwise would be........oh, how shall I put this?

Uncomfortable for all involved?

posted on Jan, 13 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   

reply to post by Masonic Light

That's interesting! What ticked the GM off about the other Orders?

I'm not really sure. I'll try to find the story, I think it was published in the Philalethes.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join