It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why we are not alone in this part of the Galaxy

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ucalien
The "searching" for extraterrestrial intelligent lifeforms, it's a very expensive joke. Bogus programs as SETI have been spending zillions of US$ and NONE results come to public and I'm sure that they have lots of results.

SETI does not us U.S. Tax money -- it is privately funded (it's current main benefactor is billionaire Paul Allen, the co-founder of Microsoft). SETI was started in 1992 by tax dollars (not a lot) and the government operated it for only two years. It has been all private since 1995.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Great post. I agree completely that it is only a matter of time.

One of my personal thoughts on this matter is that we are already part of a galatic community. I don't mean to say that there is a conspiracy to cover it up (another topic, another post); I feel that we purposely are isolated from the rest of the galaxy and will remain so as long as we stay within our solar boundries. (I know that the Voyager's are nearing the threshold, but aside from thier reactors they are not armed or indeed even manned. Still, I would not be the slightest bit surprised if one day NASA discovered that both probes were on a return trajectory)

The first time we leave, or demonstrate the ability to leave, I think things will get very interesting indeed. My basis for this is simple...when a species gets to the point that they are capable of interstellar travel then they are also a threat to everyone else up there. If a species can build a FTL engine/system then they also have the ability to create some staggeringly powerful weapons as well.

There are rules that we are going to have to follow or else we simply won't be allowed to interact with the larger neighbourhood.

Back to the topic at hand though; by 2110 our understanding of both the galaxy and life's tenacity will be at a point that our current views will be a joke. There has been a lot of talk about Silicon; it binds like carbon and as such could form the basis of an entirely different blueprint for life capable of surviving in places we cannot conceive of being habitable now.

Necessity is the mother of all invention and humans have long justified doing something because it was simply there to do. WHEN we identify a planet capable of supporting life as we know it (TPF offers the best near term chance of that) how long until we try to go there? A goal as large and complex as a human colony on an extrasolar planet may be just what our species needs to get it's act together once and for all.

One thing that nags at me though when reviewing the outline of the Kepler mission (looking at stars like our own to find planets like Earth in an Earth-like orbit...look for what you know works). If we were looking at our own solar system we would have only one chance once a year to detect the planet. Kepler does look at 150000 stars simultaneously, but it's 3 year life span means we need to get really lucky in a short timeframe. Makes me wonder if the mission is to publically discover a planet that is already known to be out there.

Momentous times indeed!

[edit on 10-1-2010 by [davinci]]

[edit on 10-1-2010 by [davinci]]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
The only problem with red dwarves is that due their low heat, the lifezone is rather close to the star. This has 2 main implications for the potential life sustainable planets in it.

First one is a radiation problem. The star must be a "quiet" one. This is not necessarily uncommon though.

The second one is more of a problem: tidal lock. Just as the moon is locked tidally to the earth, or like Mercury is with the sun (in a 2/3 pattern), mostly all planets at that distance of a star would be tidally locked to it. So basically, one half of the planet is roasted while the other half is frozen... This is actually one of the reasons why Gliese 581 C might not be as good as we think...

That said, there are also many other stars that are "more sun like"

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:39 PM
link   
i think we should do some extensive research on saturn's moon titan to! not just the other 2 moons mentioned ecladeus or w/e and europa i think titan has just as god as chance as the latter to have a form of life...notice i said form!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   
what if we did get a reply but it wasnt the kind you thought you were looking for a far more intelligent species might not even be get our message for the simple fact that whatever radio frequency we sent they might be far beyond that and might not even get it or if they did and responded we might not have the technology to receive what they sent or understand a respnse when we got it to us it might sound like a bunch of solar interference or whatever and just assume it was nothing remember we have already sent out a satelite with a golden plate on it out of the solar system decades ago explaining what we are where we are from what we look like and a johnny b goode song on it i think it was one of the voyagers...but we already have visitors here they have a deal with the government! we already know were not alone were just waiting on the government or them to prove to the debunkers that there wrong and believed to much of the b/s they been fed all there life

[edit on 10-1-2010 by metalholic]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by [davinci]

Still, I would not be the slightest bit surprised if one day NASA discovered that both probes were on a return trajectory

That would just put us in our place perfectly , to have our probes sent back " return to sender"

I agree that we probably are in our present state considered by any race watching our development as dangerous , fortunately for them I doubt we will make it far enough to master interstellar travel , I hope I am wrong but the way we are going we will end up destroying the planet and ourselves way before we reach that level of technology .

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by gortex

We're going to be finding more and more planets in the near future. It will come as no surprise to me when we find something very similar to Earth. It's not a matter of 'if'... it's a matter of 'when'.

IRM

We already have, kinda. Check out Jupiter's moon Europa, they say it is similar to what earth would have been like long ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

Yeah I agree with the tidal lock problem but scientists have shown using atmospheric modeling that if a planet orbiting an M dwarf close in had a reasonably thick atmosphere, circulation would transfer the sun's heat around the planet and even out the temperature worldwide , the circulations can keep that atmosphere at a reasonable temperature and you can dissipate the heat from the star-facing side and bring it around to the farside. And, perhaps, end up with a habitable world.
Scientists have also learned that most of an M dwarf's hyperactivity occurs early in its life cycle, during the first billion years or so. After that, the star tends to settle down and burn quietly for many billions of years more.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
if i were looking for planets had the money had the capability as we do now i would hunt down them people that say they were abducted that say they have a star map of where there abducters were from and see what could be found not that you would believe them but you never know what you might find if you did find that they were right about a planet that might support life in that direction or location you might start to question whose insane the people that claim there is a god and were alone or the people that every views as loons that talk about aliens and what not!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
One of my favorite topics. I basically figure, the original supernova that created the nebula that our solar system was formed from, also formed the other nearby solar systems. Meaning that the fundamental elements that are the foundation for our world, would be similar if not nearly identical (save post formation rubble passing through) to our own. So logically it stands to reason that if life on other planets in the region started out the same, they may have culminated in humanoid lifeforms of sentience. We are the easiest form for the earth to create that does what we do, if we weren't, something else would have come before.

That being said, this may account for much of the speculation of alien life 'somehow' resembling our own, from tall blond Scandinavian types to little grey men. All with two arms and two legs a head, torso, etc. Anyway that's just how I picture things so that in my head it makes sense, i mean YES they could be humans from the future etc. This may explain why flying saucers supposedly aided Alexander the Great when conquering certain targets (he called them flying shields). I use this as an example as, if this phenomenon is human activity from the future, than that would explain their interest in our affairs and making sure continuity was upheld. Then again maybe the aliens just like #ing with our heads.

Alex the Great encounter where the UFO's themselves caused AtG's forces to be held up.
Link
he also had an encounter at Tyre where the shields blasted apart a wall. There is dispute over which event came first. There is a good discussion already going if you want to catch up here
Link 2
you can read both stories here but I put other links that weren't so suspect of leading the evidence. Just a disclaimer this link is to a heavily 'believer biased' source.
Link 3

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JunoJive

i dont think there human or futuristic humans i think there tools for either another advanced species or an intergalactic society here to over see our progress through evolution or just to study us!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JunoJive

I firmly believe that DNA has set instructions within its code that are only effected by the environment it finds itself in , so evolution on a planet such as our own would probably run along similar lines , not exactly the same but close enough as to be recognizable if we were to encounter it , there would be fish types in the oceans , quadrupeds and bipeds on land .

[edit on 10-1-2010 by gortex]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
i think the b-2 and the b-2 spirit bomber is enough evidence to prove were not alone! you may ask how, why...look them up and really look at the design and technology that went into them..but at first glance for example what does the b-2 bomber look like? my point exactly! thats part of the technology we received from the greys to keep them secret from the public..i dont know if anyone on here has seen that document i read about the majestic 12 the alien from roswell that lived at are 51 and the deal the government and the greys made but i think its to crazy not to be true! like someone said in another post...notice technology moves at an incredible pace but nasa's discoveries move at snails pace!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

SETI does not us U.S. Tax money -- it is privately funded

SETI-like programs can be privately-funded, but you can bet your *ss that they are submitted to authority of government agencies and military groups. Anyway, my point is that they cust a sea of money, wherever is the source, and don't present results to public. - "Oh, but a private investor has no obligation to disclose results to the public..." Right, but WHY someone would spend zillions of US$ keeping a program like that, if wasn't to provide the results for public benefit??? I can see two answers:

1 - The "private development" is complete under the control of govnmt and military agencies, as I said before;
2 - The program is a hoax submitted to the cover up agenda, the "investor" is a decoy and the fund isn't private, actually, but is necessary such propaganda to avoid the questioning of tax-payers.

Pick one!

[edit on 10-1-2010 by ucalien]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by unicorn1

boooooooo

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
reply to post by gortex

We're going to be finding more and more planets in the near future. It will come as no surprise to me when we find something very similar to Earth. It's not a matter of 'if'... it's a matter of 'when'.

IRM
Yeah I can't wait.. I will be in line to see how green the grass is on that side. Wonder if the corruption will be as bad.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by amyfriend
I also beleive we have neighbors close by as well.

Yes, on the Moon and Mars and in underground bases.
The people on the Moon look like albinos.
The people on Mars look like the Olmecs.

The people of the Moon don't like the people of Earth very much.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by unicorn1
The subject heading is misleading. It should be 'why we MIGHT NOT be alone' not 'why we ARE NOT alone'. Because the information put forward points to the possibility, not the proof.
Aside from that, we really need to get rid of our preconceptions that life has to be modelled on our own needs. Other forms of life may in fact require neither water nor solid ground even.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by unicorn1]

LOL

yep but you need to be stupid to not bet all your money that theres life in our galaxy besides here

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Some scientists have speculated it could be a mistake announcing "here we are" lest a predatory species gets the message....and is looking for an inferior planet to pillage....

Personally, I think it matters little that we are sending out signals. Any civilization that is capable of coming here would also have the technology like NASA's Terrestrial Planet Finder to find inhabitable planets from their own backyard.

They'd be more likely to see us than hear us!

IRM

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

OMG! Bluebelle!!! What happened to your head?

IRM

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join