It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Woman Arrested In Dubai For Illegal Sex After Reporting Rape

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Within Sharia law, there are a group of "Haram" offenses which carry severe punishments. These include pre-marital sexual intercourse, sex by divorced persons, post-marital sex, adultery, false accusation of unlawful intercourse, drinking alcohol, theft, and highway robbery. Haram sexual offenses can carry a sentence of stoning to death or severe flogging.

Sharia Law: A Brief Intro

i traced the link in the OP and it seems that Huffington Post got their news article from The Telegraph, although i wonder if The Sun beat them to the story and all these news items we have from the big names of online news are nothing more than tabloid stuff along the lines of pravda and weekly world news.

regardless of the origins of this story, i think the law is in the side of the policemen, especially in a situation like this where the female is a practicing muslim. just because she's british and a tourist doesn't mean zip as their law considers it haram (an Arabic term meaning "forbidden". In Islam it is used to refer to anything that is prohibited by the faith) to consume alcohol and have premarital sexual intercourse. they would have been better off if they were kafir (in the Islamic doctrinal sense, the term refers to a person who does not recognize the one God (Allah) - which includes atheists and polytheists) or infidels.

Haram
Kafir

[edit on 1.10.10 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I would think that Dubai would let her go and pay her off to keep silent. Otherwise the new slogan for tourist will be "Go to Dubai to get raped and thrown in jail where the jailers will rape you again and again."

Maybe Chevy Chase can do his next Vacation film in Dubai where they all get raped and then work for slave wages while serving their sentence.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I think we need a global "Mind your own sexual business law".

It would simply state that what consenting adults do with their sexual parts is absolutely no one's business but theirs.

It would carry a death penalty for even proposing any law that violates that principle.

I'm not generally a death penalty fan, but anyone who is willing to muck up or end someone else's life over what is clearly none of their concern doesn't get either my sympathy or a pass: if they're willing to do this then they probably have other evil plans, too, so stop them in their tracks.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by apacheman]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Found myself starring almost every post in this thread, so it seems we're mostly of like mind over this issue

Thank you to the poster who took the time to find and post the official/legal angles re: 'harem' etc., explaining that the woman is Muslim and therefore more bound by Islamic 'law' than a non-Muslim would have been (if my understanding of the post is correct)

However, why is there no separation of Religion and State within Dubai ?

After all, don't Muslims who've migrated to Western nation INSIST there be a demonstrated separation of Religion and State within OUR societies ?

Isn't the Islamic INSISTENCE there be separation of Religion and State RESPONSIBLE for OUR politicians forbidding Christmas trees, Christmas pageants, Christmas greetings and ALL reference to Christ because they 'offend' Muslim migrants in OUR lands ?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
How about an "It's their country and they can do what they want law."? Funny how it always comes down to "There should be a law.". Last time I checked Iran and North Korea are violating international laws by trying to build nuclear weapons, but, the popular opinion here is that they should be able to do what they want. China is in violation of international laws on human rights, but, again the opinion is that they should be able to do what they want. As somebody here said "Ignorance of the law is no excuse.".

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is bad timing for Dubai to act like this, they are already in trouble with the cash! This reaction will only ensure less tourists are coming to Dubai for sure, especially from the UK. And I am one of the people that would think TWICE now..

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
DAMN!! Is that document witht he uy having his passport taken away for real?? man that is sick n rough! I wonder if he could or could have reported this to an embassy or i dont know washington DC or something? DOnt think theyde care really, but would be interesting too see what the negative response would have been.
Well the hell with Dubai* ALl that rich overspent wealth just to make slaves out of everyone. sounds just like corporate america* how they all made their money. slavery and genocide*

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
And here we see how its true..the woman was arrested, not only because she is a woman* , but thier simply trying to hide the rapist himself* one of the rich boys club, so to speak* daddys trowser stain of a grown up son is getting off scott free...kinda like Geithner and that stock scandal..nothing will become of it* wasghington wil make a hero out of him amongst themselves*

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Learn the laws of the land, and not simply just the laws but also the interpretation of those laws among the public/law makers. If you can't do such a simple thing don't travel to said country. It's the womans own fault and she should receive the penalty that any other indigenous woman would receive. And no it doesn't make it right by any means, but people who travel to such countries should have thought about that before going there.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
Dubai is a criminal slave state.

www.independent.co.uk...

Sahinal Monir, a slim 24-year-old from the deltas of Bangladesh. "To get you here, they tell you Dubai is heaven. Then you get here and realise it is hell," he says. Four years ago, an employment agent arrived in Sahinal's village in Southern Bangladesh. He told the men of the village that there was a place where they could earn 40,000 takka a month (£400) just for working nine-to-five on construction projects. It was a place where they would be given great accommodation, great food, and treated well. All they had to do was pay an up-front fee of 220,000 takka (£2,300) for the work visa – a fee they'd pay off in the first six months, easy. So Sahinal sold his family land, and took out a loan from the local lender, to head to this paradise.
As soon as he arrived at Dubai airport, his passport was taken from him by his construction company. He has not seen it since. He was told brusquely that from now on he would be working 14-hour days in the desert heat – where western tourists are advised not to stay outside for even five minutes in summer, when it hits 55 degrees – for 500 dirhams a month (£90), less than a quarter of the wage he was promised. If you don't like it, the company told him, go home. "But how can I go home? You have my passport, and I have no money for the ticket," he said. "Well, then you'd better get to work," they replied.

Pretty evil place if you ask me.

Well, this is certainly despicable, but I think it is fairly common practice! It even happens within "free" countries like the US! The story above reminded me of a story I've heard repeated many times here in Florida:

The "internship" that Disney World offers college kids!! I have had many friends fall for the Disney internship scam that goes on right here inside the US! We call them the Disney slaves, lol! They recruit people with theatre, music, and business majors, and when they get to Disney they wind up being fry cooks and janitors! They tell them all the wonderful job experience and resume building they will get, but once they arrive, they charge them for their meals and room and board, and there is very little money left over. (Company store!) Then they hold the threats of bad reviews, and blacklisting them from employment, or in some cases even getting them expelled from their University as incentive to work the entire semester basically for free doing menial work!

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

and who would we entrust to implement and enforce this law? the NWO?
tourism shouldn't mean that you're going to treat the place you're visiting like your own backyard, or else what's the whole point of going someplace if you're not willing to experience and immerse yourself in something different. ideally, tourists should consider their responsibilities as visitors to the place and behave accordingly because most host countries do try to accomodate their tourists to the extent that they're able to. as they say, "when in rome, do as the romans do".

then there's the religion aspect; if one is willing and able to tour another country, it is only common sense to familiarize one's self to the social mores and ethics of the country one wishes to visit. the more a visitor knows about the culture and the ways that people in the host country interact with one another, the greater the chances that the vacation will be both enjoyable and fulfilling.

but then again, the topic in the OP happened in Dubai. its a place where even expats who've worked there for decades can't even own the sand that their houses stand upon. a place whose majestic edifices were built by laborers who earn $160/month, a place of contradiction that's got one foot wishing to emulate the west and the other foot keeping it firmly tied down to eastern mysticism and superstition.

a few survival tips:
when in dubai, always keep your receipts for any alcohol you've bought and consumed in public. if you're not a muslim then you may get drunk provided nobody complains about you. too drunk to drive? call the cops, they'll drive you home in good cheer as long as you're not muslim. do your utmost to refrain from insulting their women. also, do not throw footwear at arabs, afro-muslims (egyptians, sudanis, etc), stanis (expats from -stan countries, e.g. kazakhstan, uzbekistan) and other islamists unless you want a fight on your hands and only if you're that desperate for accomodations at their local jail.

the above are just some of the unwritten stuff that a visitor should remember when in dubai, and there are lots of them. personally, i spent a year there and came back unscathed so either i must have been doing something right, or i failed miserably at doing something wrong.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by learningtofly
Shame on you people for making fun of this post.

This is not funny.

Her country should be saving her.

And how dare these people do this - let them have no entry into any decent country.

Thank you!!!!!
This woman was just violated in the worst way, raped and now she is being victimized and possibly harmed more. And I'm reading a page of laughing emoticoms, and statements, that she, truamatized by violence, and I know what that is and what it does to you, and just how profoundly immobilized you are, should have known better than to report it.

I don't think so, and her country better get her out of there ASAP.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

there can be no separation of church and state under sharia.

sharia - the code of law derived from the Koran and from the teachings and example of Mohammed; "sharia is only applicable to Muslims"; "under Islamic law there is no separation of church and state"

FreeDictionary

... calling the Sharia 'law' can be misleading, as Sharia extends beyond law. Sharia is the totality of religious, political, social, domestic and private life. Sharia is primarily meant for all Muslims, but applies to a certain extent also for people living inside a Muslim society. Muslims are not totally bound by the Sharia when they live or travel outside the Muslim world.

LexicOrient

note the above, "... not totally bound by Sharia when they live or travel outside the Muslim world."; but what happens when Muslims have spread out over the entire globe? do they implement Sharia by themselves, and impose their interpretation of their religion on other societies? which is what seems to be happening in quite a few number of cases in some countries. thing is, islam seems to treat everyone who is not muslim as someone who isn't quite up to their level on the evolutionary scale. lucky for them, they've been enlightened by their acceptance and submission to their diety. what about the rest of us? they consider us unbelievers, oath-breakers, eaters of children and pigs, just dirty, unclean masses of ordinary human. still, they go on to say that everyone is born a muslim, too bad that those of us who don't worship as they do are just too dumb to realize it yet.

Originally posted by ziggy1706
And here we see how its true..the woman was arrested, not only because she is a woman* , but thier simply trying to hide the rapist himself* one of the rich boys club, so to speak* daddys trowser stain of a grown up son is getting off scott free...kinda like Geithner and that stock scandal..nothing will become of it* wasghington wil make a hero out of him amongst themselves*

dear sir/madam, kindly disabuse yourself of the notion that the UAE allows its nationals (as opposed to residents who are expats with visas which are only valid for a specific number of years) to work in a blue-collar job.

... nationals of Dubai are entitled to state help. The extensive list of assistance includes health care benefits, maternity benefits, childcare benefits, pension benefits, unemployment benefits, disability benefits and more.

Associated Content: does Dubai have social security?

Dubai Police will boycott local and non-local companies that use the current economic crisis as a pretext to carry out mass layoffs of UAE nationals at short notice without giving them enough time to look for new jobs.

Arabian Business

the link above highlights the fact and the lengths that the UAE government will take to coddle its nationals.

RH0264.1: Benefits for UAE Nationals

EDIT: added video below

this is what happens when you cross a member of the UAE ruling family. (disclaimer: contains gruesome scenes not suitable for children with or without adult supervision)

if you think the OP was bad, then this is much worse. below is the link to the source article for those of you who would like to make a new thread based on the vid.

Source

[edit on 1.11.10 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

If we can't go to their countries, and expect our morals to be respected, then we shouldn't allow them to travel to our countries.

Since when does a woman sexually active with her fiancee become alright to rape?

This is an outrage.

We have morals in the US? When did this happen?
Seriously ,this incident is more than likely being sensationalized for more than it is. I do not believe that Dubai would want to have any negative international media over something as ludricous, even if it does violate one of their laws. Dubai is economically secrewed and they need to get those western tourists to come and do what they do best , spend like there is no tomorrow.

I have lived in a few different countries and one thing I seen alot was ex-pats complaining about how backwards such and such place is or how this is not how they do it in America. I have seen many many folks sent packing back to the US, Canada, Europe or wherever they came from because they simply cannot grasp that the majority of the world is NOT the same as the US, Canada, Europe etc.

I don't like the "if they don't accept our morals, then we should not allow them in our country" argument because it sounds like a kindergarten schoolyard argument.

The majority of foreigners that travel to my country abide by all the laws and if they do not are generally arrested and sent packing. The same should hold true for all countries, but we do not live in a perfect world. And who are we to say that our laws and morals are the correct ones?

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by nepafogo

Let me get this straight.

You are saying is it morally acceptable to rape a woman because she has been drinking and has sex with her fiancee?

As long as it is ok in the country where you happen to be, rape is morally acceptable according to you?

Is this what you are saying, cause it sure sound like what you saying.

She had it coming, is that what you think?

There is nothing school yard bullyish about not wanting men around who think it is ok to forcible rape a woman under certain circumstances.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
After Vanity Fair did the big article on Dubai a few years back, I really wanted to go. My nephew went....and started putting up pictures on photobucket for us. As I looked at them, (him, having fun) I noticed the absence of women, at the ski slopes, out and about and such. He said you see the Dubai women shopping, and that's about it.

He said the only women he saw out much were the prostitutes in the bars. They were from Thailand. I've heard others say the same. They are condoned in the very pricey bars where they work.

There is an ATS member, an American, who lives in Dubai, and posts at times. Maybe he'll show up. Can't remember his user name.

I had another female friend who visited, and she dressed up in male arabic clothing when she went out. She had fun, and wasn't bothered. !
But seriously. Who would want to do that? She did this because she wanted to go out at night.

But it is terrible what has happened to this woman. I agree, she needs to be gotten out of there asap.

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Let me get this straight.

You are saying is it morally acceptable to rape a woman because she has been drinking and has sex with her fiancee?

As long as it is ok in the country where you happen to be, rape is morally acceptable according to you?

Is this what you are saying, cause it sure sound like what you saying.

She had it coming, is that what you think?

There is nothing school yard bullyish about not wanting men around who think it is ok to forcible rape a woman under certain circumstances.

Good Gawd, is that what you concluded by my post??? I am not sure how you got to the conclusion that I think rape is morally acceptable?
She had it coming??? You think that is what I said?

PLease go re-ead my response once again because that is definitley not what I said. If you are going to come on here and accuse me of supporting rape FFS you should at least "quote" my post.

I was replying to your comment on a generalist vuew nothing to do with rape whatsoever. Never even mentioned that in my post, but you failed to notice that and instantly flamed me.

You said:
"If we can't go to their countries, and expect our morals to be respected, then we shouldn't allow them to travel to our countries."

My response was based only on that comment. Again go read it again please.
I basically said that we (westerner's") seem to think that the rest of the world should follow our laws and rules (morals if you like) and I think that people have this huge misconception that we can travel anywhere in the world and our laws and rights follow us. That is all I was stating.

And how much of this do we even know to be credible and true. I am not saying it isn't true what happened, but it does seem suspicious. In a country like Dubai at such a prestigious hotel I find it a bit hard to believe that one of the staff members would rape a guest of the hotel.

[edit on 11-1-2010 by nepafogo]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

what happened to this woman was unfortunate and is such a disgrace for everyone who considers themselves civilized. that such a thing can happen in this day and age is repugnant to the minds of many, yet we tolerate the implementation of a religion that espouses these abuses. if islam is a religion to be proud of, why does it condone the dastardly acts done in its name and that of its deity? or is it unfair to blame it all on the faith that these people practice? could it be that a strongly patriarchal society fosters a worldview that women are lesser than men, that they can be paid for and sold and gathered into harems like cattle. the incarceration of the woman in the OP as well as the prior abuse by the waiter and the subsequent disregard for her human rights by the police are par for the course in a society where one can stone a sister to death for falling in love with a guy from a separate branch of the same religion.

this is not confined to the UAE.
Iran
Iraq
Saudi Arabia
Yemen

Originally posted by nepafogo

And how much of this do we even know to be credible and true. I am not saying it isn't true what happened, but it does seem suspicious. In a country like Dubai at such a prestigious hotel I find it a bit hard to believe that one of the staff members would rape a guest of the hotel.

rest at ease, it did happen.

"All the necessary procedures were undertaken. Our rules are clear in the UAE; illegal drinking and sexual intercourse is considered an offence, so a case was filed against the couple as well. But we didn't ignore the rape report," he said without confirming or denying the forensic report on whether the woman was raped or not as the matter was with the public prosecution.

Gulf News

[edit on 1.11.10 by toreishi]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by toreishi

Unfortunately, rape happens all the time everywhere in the world. The reason this story is more newsworthy (to western audience) than the many others is the fact that it illustrates how a judicial system based on strict sharia(Islamic) law works.
While to us this may be a travesty, there was no miscarriage of justice by the police or courts in Dubai by their standards. Under Islamic law, rape can only be proven if the rapist confesses or if there are four male witnesses. Women who allege rape, without the benefit of the act having been witnessed by four men who subsequently develop a conscience, are actually confessing to having sex. If they or the accused happens to be married, then it is considered to be adultery, or in this case pre-marital sex. They can be thankful the UAE does not stone them to death(the Sharia prescribed punishment) as they would in other Islamic countries.
Sharia USUALLY applies only to Muslims, although non-muslims have been charged for similar offenses in these countries in the past. It also doesn't help this woman out considering she is a Pakistani/Briton Muslim in an Islamic country. I hope this blows over and she and her husband are released very soon

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

quick question:

in light of their islamic background, what are the chances that this woman's fiance would even marry her considering that she's a victim of rape?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join