It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We May Be Pushing The Earth Into A New Ice Age!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
As many of us here on ATS know our sun has been in a deep solar minimum since 2008 which according to some maybe responsible for the current extreme cold we're experiencing.

According to University of Oklahoma geophysicist Daved Deming...

"By reducing our production of carbon dioxide, we risk hastening the advent of the next ice age. Even more foolhardy and dangerous is the Obama administration's announcement that they may try to cool the planet through geo-engineering. Such a move in the middle of a cooling trend could provoke the irreversible onset of an ice age."

www.newsweekly.com.au...

He added, "Earth's climate is controlled by the Sun. In comparison, every other factor is trivial. The coldest part of the Little Ice Age during the latter half of the seventeenth century was marked by the nearly complete absence of sunspots. And the Sun now appears to be entering a new period of quiescence.

It's bad enough that TPTB are using the global warming scare in an attempt to gain further control over our lives but now those arrogant ignorant idiots are risking killing us all, themselves included, by bringing on a new ice age!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
damn

thats pretty stupid of them but iv been saying all long that those peeps in our lovely governments are all stupid .

and with these temps that we re having , .

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

I'm afraid the ultimate agenda isn't being decided by anyone's government...it's in the hands of a few unimaginably wealthy and powerful individuals whose basic goal is to eventually have the earth as their own private playground.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Probably best to also think beyond what you've been experiencing:

Met Office

A big earth out there.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

Okay LST...land surface temperatures...I googoled it. It is the temperature of the first surface you encounter when entering from the atmosphere, whether it be a rooftop, snow, parking lot or whatever. It is not the ground temperature in other words. So please explain the significance of your chart.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
It's the temperature data from surface weather stations across the globe for 26/12 to 1/1.

It shows that as much as some places are pretty cool, other places are pretty hot. So whilst you and me are experiencing 'extreme cold' others are experiencing 'extreme hot'. And I'm sure what you experience is well-captured at the surface level.

If you want air temperature anomalies (ca. 1000m) that show a similar thing:

NSIDC

If Santa or his elves were forum members, then we might have them complaining of a relative 'heatwave'.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by melatonin]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

My house ! Nuff said!

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by melatonin
Probably best to also think beyond what you've been experiencing:

Met Office

A big earth out there.

Looking at rather colorful picture it would show that the southern hemisphere isn't having the extreme heat I have been hearing about.

But big color pictures can just give the illusion of extremes, make them all shades of blue and it would look pretty cold, make it shades of red and it would look like we live on the sun.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

I see a rainbow map and want it painted black
No colours anymore I want them to turn black

Paint it paint it paint it black.....

god thank you for that song and thank you for rock and roll....

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
Looking at rather colorful picture it would show that the southern hemisphere isn't having the extreme heat I have been hearing about.

Not currently what I would call extreme. Can't speak for others.

For Australia (who report pretty well), they actually had extreme heat in the latter part of last year (November). 2009 ended as the second warmest on record for australia. But if you want an indication of how the southern hemisphere is currently doing (in addition to the land surface data), the ENSO sea temp observations give some idea (shows evolution of El Nino from April to December - pretty cool):

But big color pictures can just give the illusion of extremes, make them all shades of blue and it would look pretty cold, make it shades of red and it would look like we live on the sun.

lol, that's sort of the point. We tend to associate cold with blue, and hot with red. Thus the anomalies are colour coded as thus - extreme cold is extreme blue (-10) and extreme hot is extreme red (+10).

So your point is that if we made the whole data colour coding blue it would look very cold (and vice versa). Errm, yeah. But that would be silly and not indicative of the actual facts. The anomalies show how temperatures relate to regional average for that period (i.e., hotter/colder than normal).

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
having worked with Environmental legislation and the bods that put those things together, at no point have I read anything that convinced me the evidence they have is no more than guestimation.

I agree the climate is changing, but I do not feel that they actually know which direction this is going in.. hence my concern that the projects I was delivering would cause more environmental problems than they resolve

[edit on 10/1/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MissSmartypants

One of the reasons that big interest uses propaganda along with our own governments on the people is because people has become illiterate when it comes to historical facts and records, children have no longer interest in history in our schools

The last "Little Ice Age" which occurred between the 14th and 19th Centuries. Basically, it was a period of cooling (perhaps only a few degrees) which scientists theorize may have been caused by changing warm/cold water currents in the Atlantic Ocean. This cooling, though hardly on par with a major ice age, had a profound effect on Europe

Our civil war in the US was fought during the last century of the mini ice age, we are due for a major climate change, and it has nothing to do with how we humans are using our resources, that is the scaremongering on big interest for the money grabbing scam they are wagging on us the people.

We are due for another ice age be a major ice age or just another mini one.

Plain and simple.

I wish people will educate themselves more on historical accounts and facts so they do not fall blindly on the scam of big interest for money profiting

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
--bull crap----the southern hemisphere is having record heat waves RIGHT now--the ocean is at its warmest ever RIGHT now--the chem trails [dimming] you ignorant people, are the reason you are freezing your butt in the south USA---HERE IN THE NORTH WOODS WE- ARE- HAVING- A MILD- WINTER--did ya hear????? --MILD WINTER. We are at least 10-15 degrees above normal this winter then we had when we were kids----Yesterday the chem planes still flew, even though its winter WHY PEOPLE???? --look up --get out of your house--I am 53--i have always seen cold blasts since i was a kid happen down south--YOU in the south US are having a normal winter --ignorance is conquered by science and NONE of you know the science if you deny it--THEY STARTED CHEM TRAILING here over 15 years ago since our winters were so warm and getting warmer--My uncle george is 89 and he knows the differance between what we live now compared to when he grew up===we have pics up here where there are tunnels going into busisness in ironwood michagan--WHY??? Cause the fricken snow was THAT DEEP---I REPEAT ANYBODY WHO doesent believe, is one ignorant person who denyies just to deny-ITS IGNORANCE-----just wait till we get a few solar flares -you will see like it or not--- LOOK UP PEOPLE AND WATCH THE CHEMPLANES SPRAY THE TRAILS THAT SPREAD OUT AND HAZE THE SKIES---I CANT BELIEVE YOU all are so ignorant since the science is there---OH YA --you all know more then people like JAMES LOVELOCK--AL GORE--JIM HANSON--ya you know how to spreed denying garbage spread by special interest groups---BUT do any of you look up at the planes spraying their hazing crap????-

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

love the pic--*SNIP* I WOULD CALL A PERSON WHO HAD THAT LITTLE DUSTING OF SNOW and complained----come to n wisconsin where we are used to geting 200 inches a year sometimes---snow standing at 4 ft on the ground---we have a foot and a half now---IF YA GREW UP HERE ya wouldnt wine about a little dusting---we had when i was a kid--35---50 degrees below for weeks JANUARY 1980 it never came above 0 the whole month--NOW 20'S AND 30'S---roads shut down for a week from Deep snow-----WE ARE 10 TO 15 DEGREES ABOVE NORMAL THIS WINTER ---YOU PEOPLE JUST DONT REMEMBER what a real winter is, since most of you were born after we really started to warm up----go talk to a old person --they will enlighten you--IGNORANCE--DONT LISTEN TO THE DENIERS PEOPLE --GO READ THE SCIENCE

mod edit: profanity

[edit on Mon Jan 11 2010 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

I just saw your friend on TV. Here's the YT vid

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalSubstance
I just saw your friend on TV. Here's the YT vid

Don't actually know the dude. But if the point you're making is that they messed up a long-term regional weather forecast, so what?

Does that somehow support the notion of an imminent ice age, lol. It's interesting how people label those understanding and accepting the science and its basis as 'alarmists', yet think we're falling into a mini ice-age because a few places are cold in winter.

Ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Okay, most of the temperature data collection equipment is in urban areas(cities) where it is unnaturally warmer than the rural areas and uninhabited areas which of course make up the bulk of our planet. So the figures themselves are not an accurate representation of our planet's actual temperature.

businessandmedia.org...

[edit on 1/10/2010 by MissSmartypants]

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
omg i just posted the same thing i havent seen the sun in days

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by shadow12

Well, we have plenty of sunshine where I am but we are in the midst of a cold spell with daytime highs being what would normally be our nightime lows for this time of year.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by MissSmartypants
Okay, most of the temperature data collection equipment is in urban areas(cities) where it is unnaturally warmer than the rural areas and uninhabited areas which of course make up the bulk of our planet. So the figures themselves are not an accurate representation of our planet's actual temperature.

And that also applies to the temperatures 1000m in the atmosphere? lol

The surface data is adjusted for UHI effects, and the measures used are anomalies rather than absolute temps.

Look, the point is simply that you might be experiencing a pretty cold temperature outside your door, however, the earth is a tad more extensive than your garden. Moreover, to extrapolate from a short-term regional weather event such as what we have now to long-term global climate trends is ridiculous. The last decade is the warmest on record and likely the warmest for 2000 years and more (2009 was top 5, and 2010 likely to be even warmer). Or does UHI also warm the arctic (where much of the warming of the last few decades is found)?

If we take the point that Deming is making: he is essentially saying we need to keep emitting to stop an ice-age that is predicted to be up to 50,000 years away. He then says that using geoengineering to mitigate our emissions in some cooling phase (which doesn't even exist at this time) might precipitate an ice-age. That's pretty stupid reasoning. I'm not a fan of some of the geo-engineering that has been proposed, so it depends on which he means (e.g., emitting sulphates is silly, pulling out CO2 not so bad). However, what is generally proposed is just reducing what we emit and moving to cleaner energy - trying to keep as low a CO2 level as possible.

Honestly, this...

By reducing our production of carbon dioxide, we risk hastening the advent of the next ice age

...is a pathetic comment. Ice ages only show variations of ca. 80ppm of CO2. We're already 100ppm above the interglacial level and rising and accelerating. And in 400,000 years of numerous ice-age cycles, CO2 barely risen much above 300ppm. Glad to see he sees the importance of CO2 for climate though.

Again, I like the notion that people accepting the science are 'alarmists', when we have such specious fearmongering emanating from deniers and delayers. The reasoning shown by Deming is similar to the handful of scientists who pushed aerosol-mediated global cooling in the 70s (and there were only a few).

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join