It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mona Lisa- A smile for the damned?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
How we going? Anyway I have always had a fascination with the great Leonardo Davinci and especially the conspiracies that seem to surround arguably his greatest work, The Mona Lisa.

The Mona Lisa

First let's break down the name-Mona Lisa. Mona itself aside from other meanings mean "moon" (our Moon), and Lisa itself means "oath to god" So Mona Lisa can literally be translated as "Oath to the moon God." We all know Leonardo had a fondness for cryptology and incorporated codes and hidden meanings in many of his works, why should what he claimed to be his greatest work be any different?

Next, it is often stated the the Mona Lisa is a hermaphrodite. Hmmm Hermaphroditic moon god?
The In-nin-sa-gur-ra says, ‘She (Ishtar) changes the right side (male) into the left side (female), she changes the left side into the right side, she turns a man into a woman, she turns a woman into a man, she adorns a man as a woman, she adorns a woman as a man. So judging from this it would seem Ishtar was in fact a hermaphrodite. Also we mustn't forget that Ishtar was the god/goddess of the moon.

So judging from the above points so far it could be that "the Mona Lisa" is actually the Hermaphroditic moon god "Ishtar."

Now I think we should examine the background of "The Mona Lisa". It seems to be drawn in detail as great as the subject of the picture itself and not just against a sky backdrop like so many other portraits. It is incredibly detailed, jagged peaks, red glowing stones and not a single living creature to be seen besides Ishtar herself. However despite the hellish bottom there does seem to be a tranquility about it, like it was ended abruptly and the top is such a lush scene...

Now the most famous legend of Ishtar is that of her descent and escape of the underworld, however it is never actually explained as to her motives for entering in the first place, Only speculations.

The Descent of Ishtar

In it, it speaks of the Ishtar removing a piece of clothing at every gate until she is completely naked, this immediately made me think of Gian Giacomo Caprotti da Oreno, one of Da Vinci's students and painter of "the Monna Vanna" sometimes called the naked Mona Lisa. Was the Monna Vanna a clue to the Ishtar factor of the original Mona Lisa? To me it certainly seems like it. In the legend it also speaks of Ereshkigal unleashing 60 diseases upon Ishtar, now when we look at experts opinions on the Mona Lisa we find that a large number generally conclude that "she" was sick, with a number of afflictions. Again more evidence relating to the legend of Ishtar.

Mona Lisa was sick

Hushbishag or Ereshkigal was at the time the Goddess of the underworld and known as "the lady of the book" in it were contained the time of death of all living things. Now look closely at the picture of the "Mona Lisa" gently protected under her hands and morphing into a chair we have what seems to be, a book? Is it possible Da Vinci believed Ishtar went to the Underworld and left with the closely guarded book???

Does the Mona Lisa depict the end of the world? There is Ishtar in all her hermaphroditic glory, at the end of humanity holding the book that prophesied it. Maybe that enigmatic smile is a knowing smile, one there because she knows when it all ends? Is the background representing the end of humans and then the re-birth of nature?

Now this is all really rough as I only started piecing this together an hour or so ago and I'm kind of in a rush (it's Saturday night and I got's to get my drink on
) but I thought I'd put it there to gage some responses and see what others opinions were on this, and if they have any ideas about what it's all about (if anything).

Anyways hope y'all keep safe, have a good one.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
[edit on 9-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I have also been working extending this a little bit, the lack of eyebrows and eyelashes could refer to how in the legend Ishtar ripped out all her hair. You may also notice that the Mona in fact looks bald with a wig.

Was Da Vinci a pagan? He was a vegetarian, and a very principled man, often stating how he refused to actually build some of his ides as man would use them for war. He always talked about nature and how man was detrimental to it. He had a great love for the mysteries of the moon and every animal on Earth he rated on a higher scale then mankind.

I am currently reading through all Leonardo's notebooks and quickly finding that DaVinci did not see the world as any human I've ever heard of before. He wondered about everything, he didn't just see the world he looked at everything in it. He broke down everything he could see to it's raw materials with his mind and examined it in full. He had no preconceptions on anything and went out and studied everything for himself.

I am currently working on some other things but I do not think I should write these down here so for now I'll keep those to myself.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 05:50 PM
link   
ANOTHER LINK BETWEEN DAVINCI AND ISHTAR!!!

I was looking through past threads on ATS and found mentioned about his love of dragons and how he would often sketch them alongside lions, horses and bulls. One comment in particular caught me eye, it talked about how he's pictures were similar to the ISHTAR GATE.

The Ishtar gate was the eighth gate to the inner city of Babylon and dedicated to goddess Ishtar. It is adourned with images of aurochs(bulls or close enough) and lions and dragons. It was always a mystery why Leonardo had such a fascination with lions and dragons and bulls and why he would draw them constantly but now I believe the ISHTAR gate is the answer.
Da Vinci's Dragon
Now the Ishtar Gate dragon.
farm1.static.flickr.com...
They do seem to be very similiar.

Why is there so many seeming links between The great Da Vinci and the God Ishtar? I do no understand his motives but am somewhat determined to find out, please any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll give you candy if you do?

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
LOL, Time to refresh again.

Let's look at it as Dan Brown did in his book, from a purely Christian conspiracy angle. Ishtar had a consort name Tammuz, the Sheppard God. It might be said that Tammuz was the original Jesus and Ishtar was the original Mary Magdalene(She was a whore goddess) perhaps a Christian conspiracy isn't so inconceivable, DaVinci wasn't exactly a big fan of the church, maybe he had the knowledge to shut Christianity and did hide it in his artworks so as not to alert the Christians, because lets face it they weren't the forgiving sort.

Tammuz was know as the rebirth god he would often die and come back to life, a little like a certain Jew I know... Ishtar is also mentioned in the epic of Gilgamesh:

"Listen to me while I tell the tale of your lovers. There was Tammuz, the lover of your youth, for him you decreed wailing, year after year. You loved the many-coloured roller, but still you struck and broke his wing [...] You have loved the lion tremendous in strength: seven pits you dug for him, and seven. You have loved the stallion magnificent in battle, and for him you decreed the whip and spur and a thong [...] You have loved the shepherd of the flock; he made meal-cake for you day after day, he killed kids for your sake. You struck and turned him into a wolf; now his own herd-boys chase him away, his own hounds worry his flanks."

Again there are references to lions and horses. Perhaps even the stripping of wings refers to the wingless dragons on the Ishtar gate and the sketchings of Davinci, as mentioned before he did have a huge passion for horses and lions too, so here we would seem to have another possible link, they do keep adding up. Perhaps he's worship or interest Ishtar led him to this fascination.

Sources are scattered and lost thanks to time and good old fashioned book burnings from every other major religion that followed so it is hard to follow, I would implore others to do their own research and tell me what they think.

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
IMHO it sounds too convoluted. Interesting bit of speculation though. Also Babylon was long gone and mostly forgotten by his time and I'm not sure but I think the Ishtar Gate was only rediscovered relatively recently.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 10 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

Yes, the gate wasn't discovered, but the legends of Babylon were there. The animals were sacred in the religions that spawned off them. Yes, it is all speculation and purely a personal opinion but there does actually seem to be many facts supporting it, or at least making it seem more worthwhile for me to investigate, and his letters prove he had at least some interest in Babylon, even writing one addressed to the lieutenant of the sacred sultan of Babylon although he is referring to Cairo-babylon he does mention it is not the REAL Babylon. But yes again all speculation and I'm not the strongest author so it is hard to translate wsomethings I'm trying to get across but Thank you for the honest opinion it is much appreciated here.

[edit on 10-1-2010 by Occy Anonymous]

top topics

join