It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's Colder In America, Than At Both Poles!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   
It's snowing at my house in Ponte Vedra/Jacksonville, Florida! It is awsome.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeathShield
Good thing global warming made snow and cold winters things of the past.

No . . . global warming (aka climate change) causes cold winters as well.

Didn't you get the memo?

No matter what happens, it is because of global warming/climate change).

Win/win scenario there!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
okay, so I've run some of these funny American temperatures into Celsius.. I live in rural Canada, and you are all SERIOUSLY in need of a reality check when you talk about the cold.

I love Americans, our nation relies on you immensely, and yours on us, but when you start talking cold, -48 C with an 80 kph wind.. you got nothin on Saskatchewan.

Thats -55 F and 50 mile an hour winds, for my American friends; exposed flesh will freeze in under a minute..

/has spit and seen it bounce cause it was frozen, and seen diesel fuel turn to gel

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Here in Iraq the temperature has been in the 60's high and 50's low during the day, but it does seem to be getting colder each day.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr_skepticc

Tell me about it.

I'm sitting in a nice house with central heat, a pair of long johns on (top and bottom), sweat pants, sweat shirt, long fuzzy robe, thick hunting socks and my fuzzy red slippers that match my long fuzzy robe.

From where I am sitting, it's sub zero outside, absolutely friggin freezing.

My dog doesn't even want to go out, even when I offer to put his coat on.

Haven't seen sunshine in days.

I don't have room in the frig for our left over pizza so it's in the Barbq grill, frozen.

Global warming...........not where I'm at.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by gingerbastard

For our honeymoon we tent camped through Canada during July - and we went to bed like most honeymoon couple, not wearing much.

We went through Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta coming back down again through Montana.

Woke up at 2 am and had to get my down comforter and long johns.

Canada is brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr cold even in July.

Beautiful beautiful country, very friendly people - but cold.

I just don't like cold, I like steamy muggy hot hot hot.

Here in the Midwestern section of America it is colder than usual VERY COLD!

But your right, where you are at is much colder. How do you survive?

Now that would be a good thread for you to start.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DeathShield

If only we were warm enough to realize it!

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
TS forgot to include the wind chill factor in both North and South Pole. Including the wind chill, both Poles will still be colder than any place in America (perhaps except Alaska).

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

50F 60F I could handle, no wine, wearing a ugly black veil and the rest of it, (Woman's rights suck over there) as cold as I am I am grateful I'm over here in America.

Stay safe.

(If that is you in your avatar, the machine gun spooks me out).

[edit on 9-1-2010 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Uh, one thing that might account for the fact that the South Pole is warmer than the North Pole and even the USA is because WE ARE IN SUMMER NOW

That might have something to do with it...

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

Originally posted by expat2368
Global Warming was a load of BS... there is no global warming..

The climate does not even know people are on the planet..we have nothing to do with the weather. We just pollute with chemicals and trash.

We are headed into another mini (or maybe maxi) ice age. Get ready, because either this year or next there will be no summer, crops will fail and there will be a global food panic. Millions will starve to death.

Anger will break out at the idiots that diverted attention from the real problem with their global warming plot to make money off "carbon credits" and Al Gore and his pack of "warmists" will be attacked.

Wanna bet? I'd give you good odds on every one of your, ahem, predictions.....

Best,
Skunknuts

I'll take some of that action as well......Good opportunity to skin some of the skeptics ha ha.

[edit on 9/1/10 by malcr]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by downisreallyup

You are correct, a quick google shows this tempreture is not unusual, it is wiki but I feel this topic should have accurate info:

The lowest temperature ever recorded in nature on Earth was −89.2°C (−128.6°F) recorded on Thursday, July 21, 1983 at Vostok Station. For comparison, this is 11 C° colder than subliming dry ice. The highest temperature ever recorded in Antarctica was 14.6°C (58.3°F) in two places, Hope Bay and Vanda Station, on January 5, 1974.

The mean annual temperature of the interior is −57°C (−70°F). The coast is warmer. Monthly means at McMurdo Station range from −28°C (−18.4°F) in August to −3°C (26.6°F) in January. At the South Pole, the highest temperature recorded was −14°C (7°F). Along the Antarctic Peninsula, temperatures as high as 15°C (59°F) have been recorded, though the summer temperature is usually around 2°C (36°F).

Severe low temperatures vary with latitude, elevation, and distance from the ocean. East Antarctica is colder than West Antarctica because of its higher elevation. The Antarctic Peninsula has the most moderate climate. Higher temperatures occur in January along the coast and average slightly below freezing.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
In eastern Europe we had two warmest winters ever recorded (2005, 2007) and it seems this one is a good candidate too with over 18 degrees Celsius or 64 Fahrenheit.
But that's just 80% of the time, temperature varies between 18 degrees to -20 degrees Celsius so it does get freezing overnight and returns to normal at afternoon.

It's 10 degrees C as I write.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   

The only idiots who would say that global warming would eliminate cold winters are the skeptics to try and win an argument. Climate change (warmer or colder) causes weather PATTERNS to CHANGE ie wetter, warmer, colder, windier, calmer etc etc. It all depends on where you are and what drives your local weather.

For example the UK and Northern Europe are at the same latitude as Siberia. The reason why we don't have siberian WEATHER is the gulf stream. Climate change could alter the gulf stream (in fact it is changing) so that hits further south. This would plunge britain and northern europe in siberian style cold weather. The world as a whole though (average) will be warmer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DUH

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I tip my hat to all of you! I live in Brisbane city, QLD and if it gets to 32F so 0 celcius (which doesnt happen lately more then a few times each winter in our suburb) I lose my # and chuck a tanty. I'm talking gloves, 3 jumpers socks socks socks and at least 2 pairs of pants. I'm not built for that crap so i look to you all in awe! But then again, as soon as it hits about 30 celcius 86F i also get quite...hard to deal with
hahah cant win! As much as i'd love to visit canada & US, i think i'd die.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

LOL - I've been thinking the same thing. We're in the south as well, and I'm SO-O-O ready for spring.

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

The only idiots who would say that global warming would eliminate cold winters are the skeptics to try and win an argument. Climate change (warmer or colder) causes weather PATTERNS to CHANGE ie wetter, warmer, colder, windier, calmer etc etc. It all depends on where you are and what drives your local weather.

You're fighting a losing war. Most people on this site get their knowledge from YouTube videos.

They have no idea how the climate works. Maybe they don't teach that at some schools anymore..

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
Yup, Global Climatic Change is definitely a myth fabricated by greedy scientists eager for more grant money from the governments of the world. It's perfectly normal for temperatures to be colder the further you get from the polar caps.

In your face Al Gore!

Oh, wait...it supposed to be colder the further you get from the equator, not the poles? Oops! I guess even Fox News can be wrong sometimes.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by fraterormus]

Im afraid that perhaps some of you are not taking into consideration that just because its called "Global Warming" does not neccessarily mean that we will be experiencing blistering weather, (though the summers do seem to be getting hotter) but more likely a very slow chilling of the Earth.

The polar ice caps are melting and due to the Gulf Streams (which provides a great deal of the circulation of warm water in the northern hemisphere) water dropping in temperature we are getting colder weather, y'know kind of like the weather that all of america is seeing right now? i mean it snowed in Texas for cripe sake!

So i dont think you have to be so much afraid of burning to death so much as freezing to death. And for those of you who do not believe in "Global Warming" you do know that theres an iceberg more than twice the size of New York's Manhattan island drifting towards Australia right? It is breaking up now but thats not good! That cold water from the iceberg is going to force the ocean temps down even lower as well as raise the sea levels. Things will be getting worse.

[edit on 9-1-2010 by kraig87]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Well don't 'cha know that Global Warming can cause both warming AND cooling! I know because I watched last week's episode of The Simpsons. Quick, get your carbon credits while they're hot!

[edit on 9-1-2010 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
we are facing now winter and much snow in amerika europe russia and china in the same time..

how much % of aeria must be couverd white to reflect so much sunlight that it comes in an vicious circle that the temps stay low and chance the weahter patterns..???

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join