It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you know when you get a comment reply?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Would it be a good idea to have a reply alert so you know when someone has replied to any of your comments?

I so often look back on old threads and see someone asked for a link or something, but it was like over a year ago

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
You do get an alert on your "my ATS page when someone posts in one of your threads..

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I agree....it would be nice to have an alert when someone has replied to one of your comments....

I get a notification on my facebook page whenever a person replies directly to one of my forum posts. Can we get the same here? Lots of times I never check back a thread to address those replies because I don't know about them.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
You can send it in as a suggestion. Its in the members tools.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Good idea!

But it would be better IMO if it was nothing major but just a little notification that pops up saying you have a reply exactly like it does on Facebook.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

That's exactly what I was thinking....kinda like the U2U pops up. You can check it out, you don't have too....but its there if you are interested.

Great idea!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thanks for your comments

Just like the U2U alert would be great

Right now, when I look in my public profile it says "Total Replies: 275" and there's probably about 200 of them I'm completely unaware of.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by ChemicalSubstance]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I have seen threads go from 1 page to 8 or more pages, within an hour or less, would you like get that many U2U. Or you come back a day or later and you have 50 or 100 or more notices. ATS is to big not to mention the resource's involved.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

I think that notifications would work alot better than a u2u for each reply we get and maybe a feature where we can turn off notifications for threads would help aswell.

And when i say notifications I don’t mea like a big message saying you have a reply or an email or anything just a little thing (like on facebook) that pops up and says it and isn’t too distracting.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Rising Against]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChemicalSubstance

Right now, when I look in my public profile it says "Total Replies: 275" and there's probably about 200 of them I'm completely unaware of.

Just to clarify ... the "total replies" number indicates the total replies one receives to threads they started, not replies to one's posts. Thus, if you started a thread and it gets lets say 40 posts in it, that goes to the "total replies" tally. If someone just uses the "reply to" function within a thread to address you, it doesn't apply to that number.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

For some reason, I always thought total Replies meant for comment replies too.

Thanks for the info

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
As an addendum, it would be nice as well to have some threading views on the alert.
If I leave for a couple days, come back and there are now 8 more pages of posts, it would be nice to be able to filter any that have been 'replied' to me, or 'quoted' from me without having to first dive into those 8 pages looking, then again to read the posts since.

Gets tricky on long threads sorting the sub-conversations as well as the overall topic.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sauron
I have seen threads go from 1 page to 8 or more pages, within an hour or less, would you like get that many U2U. Or you come back a day or later and you have 50 or 100 or more notices. ATS is to big not to mention the resource's involved.

Understandable, but how does one pick up from exactly where they left off? Say I make a post but forgot which page, how do I pick up from exactly where I left off? In addition, is there a way to tell, without looking, at which of your posts have earned stars?

top topics

join