It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia slam Indian paper's Ku Klux Klan cartoon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Australia isn't doing anything in finding the murderer and the country knows that the govt. and police force have no intention of finding people who ill-treat or even murder indian students.

Where are you getting your information that you would make such a bold and unsupported statement? It seems from your posting and your wild statements that your only sources are the Indian press which is making a fortune out of biased sensationalism, US Yahoo, and *cough* Wikipedia. When you calm down a little, why not check out some reports from journalists on the ground in Australia? If you do you will find that the Melbourne police have been focusing more resources and time on solving this case than any other at the moment. They have set up a dedicated information caravan and base of operations at the site - something which usually only happens in Melbourne for high profile or gangland murders. They have started randomly searching people for weapons near the murder site - something that is almost unheard of in Australia where civil liberties are sacrosanct.

You can be guaranteed that with a 15 billion dollar industry at stake, the pressure the government is putting on the Victoria police to solve this individual cime is immense.

Here are some links for you:
theage.com.au

Detective Inspector Bernie Edwards was appealing to the public for information on the murder, which occurred in a Melbourne park last Saturday night as Mr Garg was going to work at the nearby Yarraville Hungry Jack’s restaurant. An information caravan was set up near the site on Thursday. Police are hoping it will jog someone’s memory and lead them to come up with information.

Police have begun random weapons searches in Footscray days after Mr Garg's death. In a move to demonstrate action on violent street crime, a team of officers patrolled Footscray train station today searching for knives. The trial search and seize blitz, dubbed operation Omni, is made possible after a beefing up of police powers and is expected to be expanded to other suburbs.
The above is much more action than we see when white Aussie are killed or attacked, whether it be by other white Aussies or thiose of different racial background.
smh.com.au

''There was a guy in the hospital at the same time who had been stabbed six times and he was not an Indian,'' Mr Singh [the victim's friend] said. ''It's not just about an Indian losing his life, this is happening to everyone. Where is it safe any more?''
The man had been celebrating his 44th birthday when he was attacked as he returned to his car with his wife on Saturday night. The number of Melbourne knife casualties grows daily. A 23-year-old man was charged yesterday with the attempted stabbing murder of another man on Sunday.
Where are the caravans, weapons searches, and media hype for this guy and his wife? Are people with wives being targeted now? Are Aussies anti-wife? Do the Vic Police not care about crimes against people with wives?

Do you guys have any idea how often indians get attcked by aussies?
Doesn't sound like you do

And it doesn't sound like you do either. Please, post some statistical analysis showing the number of attacks on Indians versus all racial types, and then reference the result with the percentage Australian population that is of Indian descent living in low-income high-crime areas. I'm very interested to see your results.

alot of aussies are attacking indian students and the police force isn't doing much about it

More bold statements. Please statistically define "alot", and provide evidence to support your claim that the police aren't doing much about it.

australians attacks on indians in 2009 has it's own wiki page
Yes... it has it's own wiki page!!!!!!
Yes that's what I said, it's own wiki page, and that's for 2009 alone
Still going to treat this as an isolated incidient?

I'm sorry, can you say that again? It's almost like you're trying to say has its own Wikipedia page. Did I interpret correctly? The hilarity of citing Wikipedia as proof of anything aside, did you even bother to read your own source? If you had you might have noticed these bits:

wikipedia.org
The cost of living in Australian cities has made it necessary for many of these students to live in cheaper and more distant suburbs, where there is an increased risk of encountering violent crime.
[...]
Sydney students interviewed by ABC's AM programme stated that their attackers were from a range of ethnic backgrounds, and while they said there was a "racial element" they also saw the attacks as opportunistic. The attackers have been described as being white, Asian, Middle Eastern, Aboriginal, and Pacific Islander.
[...]
Sydney-based United India Association president Dr Prabhat Sinha, who took the view that the attacks were not necessarily racially motivated. He said: "They become soft targets by groups of four to six drug users, for example, who just want cash.

So exactly what are you trying to claim here? And please provide some evidence to back up whatever those claims are.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
But wait! Look what we have here. Racism in India has it's own Wikipedia page!!!!! Yes...it has it's own Wiki page!!!!!!
Yes that's what I said, it's own wiki page!
wow...100% just wow.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Indians are racist and their police are doing nothing about it! They even perpetrate ethnic cleansing against minorities by discriminatory use of the death penalty! It's systemic racism from the judiciary down! Thank you Wikipedia and God help us all!!! ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!~!!~!11ONE!~

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
But wait! Look what we have here. Racism in India has it's own Wikipedia page!!!!! Yes...it has it's own Wiki page!!!!!!
Yes that's what I said, it's own wiki page!
wow...100% just wow.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Indians are racist and their police are doing nothing about it! They even perpetrate ethnic cleansing against minorities by discriminatory use of the death penalty! It's systemic racism from the judiciary down! Thank you Wikipedia and God help us all!!! ARRRRGGGGGHHHH!~!!~!11ONE!~

omg you are not serious are you?
im' just about done with this thread
firstly you guys are taking this, for god knows what reason, way too personally.

I NEVER said all aussies are bigots, I fact said that they aren't.

Secondly are you serious?

You could find a racism in any country wiki page.

finding a ethnicity attacks in said country in a given year wiki page is somethign else.

argh.. go back to sleep
gdnite

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademiafirstly you guys are taking this, for god knows what reason, way too personally.
"God knows what reason"? Don't play naive now. The sensationalist world media is trying to paint us as a racist nation, ya dig? Why the heck wouldn't we take it personally? Who wouldn't? I think you're just a bit flabbergasted because you've unexpectedly come across some unabashed opposition to your claims.

You could find a racism in any country wiki page.

My point exactly. What was yours again? And where are those statistics?

finding a ethnicity attacks in said country in a given year wiki page is somethign else.
Define "Something else"? What does a Wikipedia page existing for a given topic prove about that topic? Enlighten me, please.

[edit on 2010-1-8 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Don't play naive now. The sensationalist world media is trying to paint us as a racist nation, ya dig? Why the heck wouldn't we take it personally? Who wouldn't? I think you're just a bit flabbergasted because you've unexpectedly come across some unabashed opposition to your claims.

Quick question for you

if any country made a cartoon making fun of the american police force do you think americans would feel offended and say "They are trying to paint america as a racist nation"?

please tell me

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Don't you think "making fun of" is a bit of an inaccurate description of what's going on here? You're playing semantics now. But regardless, to answer your loaded question with a loaded answer: Directly comparing the American police force to the Klu Klux Klan? Yeah, I'm sure there would be plenty of Americans offended by that, most notably black police officers.

You still haven't produced any evidence or statistics to back up your claims throughout the thread, nor to answer my rebuttal of those claims

Australia isn't doing anything in finding the murderer and the country knows that the govt. and police force have no intention of finding people who ill-treat or even murder indian students.
[...]
alot of aussies are attacking indian students and the police force isn't doing much about it
[...]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I would beg to differ,the government and the police are going ape over this.Enrollments to Australian University's by Indian nationals is down to 49% from last year.
This translates into a crap load of money for our secondary education system and other peripheral businesses.(money is a great motivator for any government)

And just to be contrary,how many non-Indians are mugged,raped and or murdered each year in India?

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Cygnus_Hunter]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DaMod

HI,
Yes. Many newcomers to Australia settle into suburbs that are predominantly of their own ethnic background, so that entire areas become "owned" by specific ethnic groups; hence my use of the word "enclave". The one I spoke about was an "Italian" suburb in Adelaide during the late 70's.

I find it sad that newcomers do this because they are not really fitting into the society and so it cannot truly be Multi-cultural, which is what the governments originally intended for this country

Personally I would love my country to become a land of diversity where we can enjoy the positive differences between the ethnic groups, but unfortunately the opposite has been occuring now for 30+ years.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Thanks for the links, but I note this was written on that Wiki page..

Sydney students interviewed by ABC's AM programme stated that their attackers were from a range of ethnic backgrounds, and while they said there was a "racial element" they also saw the attacks as opportunistic.[11] The attackers have been described as being white,[12] Asian,[12] Middle Eastern,[12][13][14] Aboriginal,[12] and Pacific Islander.[12]

What we are seeing is not Australians en masse attacking these young Indian students, therefore the whole racist headline is a misnomer of ridiculous proportions.

What we are seeing is opportunistic attacks on young people. Guaranteed the same thing is happening to other ethnic groups as much as it is happening to Australians.

The main problem there is the mentality of those 'gangs' who are doing the attacks. My country has a major problem with ethnic gangs commiting attacks, murders, rapes, which makes us no different to what is happening in every other country around the globe.

The media is making this a beat up of Australians in general. Hence the many "Racist" headliners we have seen of recent years.

I am a humanitarian. I see all people as being equal to myself and would protect anyone I see being attacked, and have done so many times in the past. Such a shame then that society has been indoctrinated into Fear by the homogenisation from the Media that causes so many to look the opposite way for fear of their own lives.... no matter the ethnicity of the attackers or the victim.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dock9

Not to pick a fight with you as you're not from America and I don't know if you have a concept of it or how it's portrayed there. However, today by and large black people are just normal equals like every one else. From my perspective by and large racism is so over-blown here. Granted I'm in the North and a very tolerant multi-cultural place but there really is no hate or violence towards or from blacks here. Or at least not any more than any other group of people.

I'm not saying the system isn't racist and I'm not saying black people have it as easy or good as others, I'm just saying the general perception here is nothing like what you wrote.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by CuriousSkeptic]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Come on people

I mean seriously....

I saw a white man knock out an Indian guy a couple of weeks ago for grabbing his girlfriends ass in a store.

He was then called a racist. For the record, he appeared to be of Italian decent, so would this make it Italy being racist against India in your eyes or is it still Australia?

Regardless, it wasn't racism, the Indian chap was wrong, and deserved to get a punch for what he did, it has nothing to do with racism.

We are getting a lot of young Indian men moving to Australia who have no manners and often suffer the consequences for it. I assure you most of the time people dont care if they are Indian, Pakistani, Sri Lanken or Martian, it is their lack of manners that leads to these attacks, not their race.

The reason these situations increase is because the amount of Indians coming here is increasing.

If there was a sudden increase in Eskimos moving to Australia there would be an increase in Eskimo related crime.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by Mikeraphone]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Come on people

I mean seriously....

I have an idea.

The past indian student protests were justified because of gang attacks. Guess what? They were not all perpetrated by stereo-typical "aussies" either so stop implying that they were. I found those protests disgusting as there were banners attacking "aussies" yet they were NOT even responsible. THAT IS RACIST. Why should I have to turn on my tv and see those kind of insults? Shows an unjustified contempt for the host country and those youtube clips and wiki articles also prove nothing other than people are good at creating their own propoganda. I've been reading articles and have still not seen "by an aussie assailent" mentioned anywhere (and even if he was aussie that would not prove racial motivation).

So the australian police aren't not trying to find his killer..? Seriously?
There is NOTHING to suggest that they are not trying to find his killer or aren't trying just because he's indian.

The KKK slander is directed against naturalized australians.. it's grossly offensive and is very racist.

..and if you knew anything you would know West footscray (where he got killed) has a low "aussie" population (ie. it has alot of new immigrants who would not refer to themselves as aussie) yet has alot of drugs, gangs and violence. People get knifed there all the time; yet suddenly indians make a fuss and there are police searches at train stations? Why are indians getting this special treatment? Other people get mugged, raped or murdered there yet it has not made international news.

You asked the question:

It is really obvious to me that you don't have an idea yourself and are just parroting racist propoganda. You keep mentioning aussies attacking indians yet the majority of the attacks were not even commited by "aussies". Why are you not even mentioning all those attacks commited by non-aussies? Does being aussie make them more guilty somehow? You don't mention them because it's aussies you have a thing against. If you really cared about the indian attacks you wouldn't be just targetting one group over the others.

[edit on 8-1-2010 by riley]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
What does the Ku Klux Klan have to do with Australia or India? Not too sound like Im slamming my own country, but that was an American thing.

I guess the race card gets a play in other countries too

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Dock9

You aren't up on current events with Aussies attacking Indians I guess
what you described is not remotely close to what's going on in Australia

Well MA... I am! You see... the stabbing attack in 2009 that drew international attention.. and really sparked this debate was one of my students!

Now here's the truth of the matter. It was a Lebanese guy that was the perpetrator.

Also... India, in a fit of hypocrisy... won't hand over the Indian guy who killed an Aussie in a hit & run - and then fled back to India using his mates passport. India have no moral ground on which to accuse Aussie cops of anything.

In fact all we have been hearing here in Australia is how the cops are ramping up their search.

You see... I know this because I live here and am privy to information you are not!

IRM

[edit on 9/1/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This whole thing as bad as a murder is is being blown out of proportion because the government is crapping itself because Indian money/aka student enrolments are reducing because of this......

India issuing travel warnings on Australia...what a joke......you couldnt pay me to go to India......

When India returns that guy who fled there then maybe they could have a moral leg to stand on......

They are hypocrites calling Australians racist.....like other posters earlier, Ive seen how bad indian student behavior can be and regardless of who it is, or where you come from, Australians (of every background) will put you in your place if you stuff up!

Dont like us being so straight forward...dont come here...simple as that....we dont need your money.....and we dont need you crying racism for every small thing that happens against your people here.

Im fed up with minority groups (I myself am from one) crying racism when things dont go your way.

The police have a procedure to follow and Modern Academia, you proclaiming the police aren't doing anything....how can you even say that?

Do you work in the Victorian police force? do you know their protocols and procedures?

You've started this thread to slag off us Aussies as some sort of redneck american right wing extremists.....yeah there problem is some among us but stereotyping the whole population is wrong and I beleive you should get a warning for starting this thread with that slant on it.

Do you have a grudge against Australians for some reason? You can tell us?

When the busload of footy players attacked the jewish rabbi a year or so ago...you didnt see Israel creating such a fuss as India is right now?

posted on Jan, 9 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
once again, to gain some perspective, does anyone know how many non whites murdered, or were suspected of murdering whites in Australia last year, and how many of these were unsolved.

DIscovered some "enlightening" stats about my own UK recently

"The statistics available in table 3.5 of the Home Office document, Statistics on Race and the Criminal Justice System 2006/7, tells us that, in the three year period 2004/05 to 2006/07, Blacks were suspected of murdering 94 Whites, whilst Whites were suspected of murdering 37 Blacks."

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Indian media portraying Australian police negatively? Indians suggesting Australian culture is racist? Hypocrisy!

Video: "Indian media and Australia"
www.youtube.com...

While the Indian media whips up hysteria, the numbers show that incidences of crimes where Indians are victims do not number high enough to demonstrate a pattern of racism.. and that Indians are, indeed, safer in Australia than in their own homeland.

Video: "Indian media's myth of Aussie racist violence"
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-1-2010 by sewerrat007]

posted on Jan, 15 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

I'm extremely disgusted that no Australian ATS member has the BALLS to deny the ignorance on the issue of Racism in Australia.

How soon we forget the White Australia policies influence!

ALL Australians [whether they like it or not] who support the Australian constitution are supporting an inherently RACIST document.

FYI ...[Source]

"Commonwealth Of Australia Constitution Act
Chapter I. The Parliament.
Part V - Powers of the Parliament
51.The Parliament shall, subject to this Constitution, have power to make laws for the peace, order, and good government of the Commonwealth with respect to: -

(xxvi.) The people of any race, for whom it is deemed necessary to make special laws:"

[Note: All editeds to bold are mine for emphasis]

And just who uphold the laws based on the powers of the Constitution?

Its the Federal and State sanctioned protection racket Australian Police Forces collectively.

Were these laws not used to bring about the NT Intervention that purely focused on the indigenous Aboriginals?
Even the Australian Armed Forces were involved.

Just how long ago were those Cronulla riots?, and what the hell were they all about???

Remember the nationalistic outpouring when the Big Day Out Banned the Aussie flag on Australia Day?

And why was the Flag banned for?

A] Starting racially and culturally charged fights if I recall correctly [ping me on it if I'm wrong ok]!

Personal Disclosure: Lets hope this doesn't devolve into quagmire of tit for tat like the Danish cartoonist vs the entire Muslim world over a silly picture of Mohammed.
:shk:

P.S. Even the Australian LEO's can't say they don't deserve this treatment. Methinks they need to find another job if they are going to be so thin skinned over a FREAKING SATIRICAL COMICAL piece in another countries newspaper!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I have always had a thing for Indian girls sure they maybe untouchables but I still think there pretty hot damn it!

posted on Jan, 16 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
It might just be my own dementia, but I tend to try to look where everyone else is not looking. I also reject any issue that has as it's source nothing but emotion.
That being said, I have to wonder if this attempt to smear the reputation of a country that is in my opinion populated by one of the more admirable of peoples, might not be a direct result of Austrailia also being a shining beacon in proclaiming thier national identity and inviting anyone who doesn't care to assimilate to depart .

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join