It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dyson Sphere and Globus Cassus is Unrealistic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
according to Spore(2008 computer game) Building Structures like Dyson Sphere, Globus Cassus and similar structures are just rip apart the Star or planet where they built due to the Gravitational pull that they posses for their own and this is what exactly can happen in real life.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:21 AM
link   
sorry, but i'm starting to think you should be required to pass an aptitude test before being allowed to post threads . . .

where is your source links?

how about explaining what a Dyson Sphere and a Globus Cassus are?

[edit on 1/8/2010 by JPhish]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonicon
according to Spore(2008 computer game) Building Structures like Dyson Sphere, Globus Cassus and similar structures are just rip apart the Star or planet where they built due to the Gravitational pull that they posses for their own and this is what exactly can happen in real life.

and you know this from a game? and come to ats and state this as fact as it can happen in real life... w/o offering up your opinion and basis for coming in here and stating this as fact? (sometimes i wish ats has an upvote and downvote feature
)

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I'm interested what other info masonicon can bring to the table, so here are the Wikipedia entries for the Dyson Sphere and the Globus Cassus.

The Cassus seems likely enough, it's an open-source plan to convert Earth into a giant space-station! Earths mass is not reduced in any way by it being hollow, only it's density... The benefit of this is more 'living space' due to greater surface area. (outer diameter in the Saturn range)

[edit on 2010.1.8 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by masonicon

Of all the reasons why a Dyson Sphere is unrealistic, quoteing because of a computer game interperation would be one of my last.

The problem is, that we dam well better find away to harness all of our suns energy one day, if we ever plan on moving past our current Type 0 Civilization status.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I suppose there would be tremendous engineering difficulties in constructing a Dyson Sphere -- however, I don't think the makers of a video game has the knowledge to say that it would be "impossible".

Perhaps the builders of the sphere can create an opposite force that couteracts the sphere's force of gravity. Who knows?

[edit on 1/8/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carlthulhu
I'm interested what other info masonicon can bring to the table, so here are the Wikipedia entries for the Dyson Sphere and the Globus Cassus.

The Cassus seems likely enough, it's an open-source plan to convert Earth into a giant space-station! Earths mass is not reduced in any way by it being hollow, only it's density... The benefit of this is more 'living space' due to greater surface area. (outer diameter in the Saturn range)

The Dyson sphere is a bit of a misnomer I think, it's a thought experiment and not really a sphere as we think of a sphere:

(From the Dyson Sphere link you posted):

While it is believed that some of the design variants commonly described – specifically those based on the Dyson shell – are impractical, if not physically impossible, design variants of the sphere based on orbiting satellites or solar sails do not require any major theoretical breakthroughs in our basic scientific understanding for their construction.

We already know how to make satellites which orbit the sun so we can just make more and more of those, it's not really a "sphere" but a swarm of orbiting satellites. So that's possible. Making an actual "sphere" is probably not possible at least not with our current technology.

And as another poster said this is true regardless of what some game says.

The Globus Cassus has one major flaw that I can see... much of Earth's land-based life relies on the radiation shield to protect us from the sun's radiation, and dismantling the earth will disrupt the movement of the Earth's molten core which generates that field. Maybe we can find a way to generate the radiation shield artificially so I won't say it's impossible, just beyond our current technical means to do in a manner that we would survive the radiation.

posted on Jan, 8 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by vip867
reply to post by masonicon

Of all the reasons why a Dyson Sphere is unrealistic, quoteing because of a computer game interperation would be one of my last.

The problem is, that we dam well better find away to harness all of our suns energy one day, if we ever plan on moving past our current Type 0 Civilization status.

to move past our current type 0 Civilization status all that we need is Anti Gravity and Free Energy technologies!

new topics

top topics

join