It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHAT IS YOUR RELIGION ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I put other. I believe there's a God, but don't want Religious Organizations running my life. When I was a child I won a trip to a religious camp. It was run like the military. We were told when to get up, when to eat, and when to pray. There was strict punishment, if you broke the rules. One time my friend and I put on our swimming suits to head, for the beach area. Now this was an all girl group! We were told NEVER to walk in public in our swim suits!:poed: My friend and I had to do dishes for a week because of this. There were 200 girls ages 11-13. We had to memorize verses and the books of the bible. If this wasn't achieved than repentance was a must. Which meant you were required to go out into the field by yourself and pray for hours.
All the girls won the chance to go to this camp through-out the United States. It was called "Bible Memory Association". In order to "WIN" you had to memorize many scriptures of the Bible. Two of us won out of Washington State. Lucky me!
The brochure claimed that there would be horse back riding, swimming, sports, ect. It sounded so cool. In reality it was the camp from Hell. I never even seen a horse.

[Edited on 09/08/2002 by MountainStar]

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I'm a Catholic and damn proud of it. I got no problem with other religions either, cause I know that it's not the religion, it's the people in the religion. Tell that to JTL, though...

posted on Mar, 2 2003 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I put other, was raised between 2 faiths, Methodist and Baptist. I now consider myself to be non-denominational.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Shouldn't this have gone in the Religious Forum?? Anyways, I'm Muslim.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Born Catholic and brought up Catholic fell away from it in my teens but still hold it in some affection. I now class myself as a crypto spiritualist which is more of a philosophy than a real religion.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I put Christian Orthodox as I don't know which column Southern Baptist is, but it seems rather orthodox to me.

I do not tow the doctrinal line, much to the angst of some friends, because I learned to read for myself and take not of the extras the doctrine adds in. The "Don't drink or you're sinning" addition. I by me drinking a beer is sinning, does that mean Christ sinned by drinking, and led many astray by turning the water into wine?

Anyway, I don't mean to start an argument or religious debate here, just wanted to clarify my position.

posted on Mar, 3 2003 @ 07:51 PM
link   
i put down Christian Orthodox .......babtized as a Greek Orthodox.......i try my best to follow the old calender(julian calander) of Russian Orthodoxy which many monks of Mount Athos still today live according to the teachings of the Apostles ..............

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I was brought up Christian. Methodist, actualy. But now, I'm on a kind of spiritual journy. God is God. No one persons "God" is better than anyone elses. No-one can say "the Christians are the only ones doing it right, & everyone else is going to hell." I am now studying NATIVE AMERICAN SHMANISM, which has been an interest of mine for years. I believe that the world will only be at peace when everyone stops trying to be "right", & judging everyone else as wrong. As Joseph Campbell once said..."Religon is a defense against a religeous experiance."

posted on Mar, 26 2003 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Christians will smoke and drink all they want and justify it with quotes from their Jesus.

But the body is the temple of God and it must be purified at all times.

Drinking and smoking is a sin, don't try to justify it because you're christian.

[Edited on 3-27-2003 by Illmatic67]

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I have my own belief system, and i'm researching various rituals and traditions of other religions, as well as thinking about what i could do for my own, to mix and match and maybe make up my own rituals and things, so i put down "my own religion"

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Christian, Catholicist 29 (32.22%)

Christian, Evangelist 7 (7.78%)

Christian, Orthodox 3 (3.33%)

Jewish 0 (0%)

Muslim 4 (4.44%)

Boudhist 2 (2.22%)

Atheist (Non-believer) 12 (13.33%)

Paganist or Shamanist (Celts, Wiccans...) 4 (4.44%)

You have your own religion 11 (12.22%)

Other case... 18 (20%)

The first thing that surprise me is that there are NO JEWISH on ATS !
And the great majority on ATS is christian (42.73%)

But maybe I made an error and let to much choise for Other case :
If you consider that I could put Atheists, Own religion, Pagans and Other case together : 49.99%
So in fact, majorities on ATS are divided between christians and Others.
The "good" surprise comes from ISLAM that do even 4.44% of ATS members !
I tought that they might be more Bouddhists : Only 2.22%

The number of person to vote is : 102 members

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Technically I'm Jewish, but what does that REALLY mean? How can one be born into religion? That is the reason I can't claim one, is in part because I have not decided yet.

I have decided one thing, that is that the fear of God is made up by man. For me me God is not capable of causing fear, but only pleasure. I hate when people demonize God as a propagandist or a punisher. Most of all I think that the very idea of the clergy is blasphemous. Man is has no ability to represent God, that very idea is just wrong to me. I think of God as more powerful than the uselessness that is our ways.

People in this world are bent on reality crusades. They WANT someone to tell them what to think, otherwise the contradictions of nature and man would drive them crazy. Therefore they being slaves to mind control can be settled on the reality of their 'beliefs'. Well, their beliefs are the beliefs of others. Why be a magnet brain, when you can be a vacuum brain??? I am not a sheep.

I guess I have my own religion, even though I don't even believe in religion. Not to mention I am a big believer in agnosticism, like Garzok said, that one option was left out.

But to keep the poll going I'll vote own religion. You radicals can vote Jewish for me if you want, but I eat pigs with milk.

posted on Mar, 27 2003 @ 03:35 AM
link   
That's how I was brought up anyway. But I don't go to church anymore, I just believe what I believe. So which religion would that be? Hummm..

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 09:48 AM
link   
i am Agnostic

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 09:49 AM
link   
in a pollitical point of view, but really i am nothing i dont belong in a relligious class...in my head, i am free!!

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Well, I put down have my own.

Anyways, someone mentioned my name. And the people in the religon make the religon, so it is the religon that is the problem. If the catholic church was full of good people, it would be good. But it is full of con men(I heal you! SMACK!), rapists(No Father McGrady!), and blackmailers/extortionist(you don't give me money you go to hell) and greedy punks, so that is what the church is.

Actualy, watched channel 6(cable, the catholic channel) It had the evils of CANADIANS!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it! How they are always fighting and how satan controls them and reason they say "eh" is because satan used a curse to label his followers. Afterwards could send money to them to buy the tape of the show.

It is CCTV Catholic Channel Television.

posted on Mar, 31 2003 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Jewishes and Muslims had grown up but christian -catholics are the more in ATS.

Me, I'm Christian baptist (Protestant) from the Lausanne/Geneve Swiss school...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join