It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 28th Amendment

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Nice idea, OP, tho it's obvious from various posters here, the idea would fail.. to much negative.

Would be indealisitic to make it so the people running the country must sell off things worth more then the cost of a middle class home, and such.

People in power have too much privledge. take some of that privledge away, and make it about the position they hold, not about the perks.

Make it so they cannot have perks, like the lobbists giving them phat amounts of money, or trips to forign countries.. or big pharma arranging things of privlege for them..

"A position for the people, by the people.. to server the people" not themselves.

ooh but poor Obama would have to wave goodbye to his plush 4 million dollar home. and how about the rest of those guys.. how much money is the average seator and such sitting on after a term in office, not from his actual pay, but from the perks.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by links234
I guess I'm just crazy for thinking some of these ideas are blatantly obvious and don't need to be made into an additional amendment;

No Act of Congress may be made that is knowingly in violation of the United States Constitution and it's Amendments

Isn't that a given?

Unfortunately it isn't. Congress knowingly passes Bills all the time that are knowingly in violation of the United States Constitution all the time. They are far too numerous to list.

The reason this is commonly done is because the Judicial Branch of our government, which is the counter-balance to the Legislative and Executive Branches, is so backlogged with cases, that it may take 10 or more years before the Supreme Court is able to hear and rule a Law as Unconstitutional, and there is a very good chance that they won't even hear the case, as they only hear a small fraction of cases that are brought before them. Therefore, in a worst case scenario (for Congress), an Unconstitutional Law can remain in effect for at least a decade before it is overturned. In a best case scenario (for Congress), the Supreme Court won't even entertain hearing the case and the Unconstitutional Law will stand and continue to be enforced indefinitely.

It has turned into an ugly loophole that Congress has increasingly abused every Session.

I guess that's what happens when those who Write the Laws also are the ones who Vote on the Laws. Congress really should do one or the other, not be allowed to do both. In an Information Age (or even in the previous Transportation Age), a Representational Legislative Branch to do both tasks is woefully anachronistic, where in the 18th century it was a necessity.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by sporkmonster

Originally posted by fraterormus
Forgive me if I may seem naive, but I'm not aware of any law passed by an Act of Congress that Congresspersons are exempt from. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but the Law is for All. Our lawmakers are already held to the same Code of Law that they enact for the rest of us. Although there may be distinctions and benefits to Social Standing, they are still legally accountable to the same Laws. "

Basically, a Congressman can not be arrested while in transit to a session of Congress.

It was to protect Congressmen from being restrained from attending a vote, thus possibly changing the outcome of the vote.

It is to protect the voice of the citizens being represented.

That doesn't mean that they can't be arrested or detained, or held legally accountable either in a Criminal Court or a Civil Court for their actions, it just means that the time of their arrest or detainment has to wait until Congress is out.

The DA and the Police can civilly wait outside on the steps of Congress for the Filibuster in the House or the Senate to come to an end before making their arrest...although since a Congressperson is most likely a low-flight risk, most Federal Judges who would issue a warrant for their arrest will probably serve them to appear in Court rather than have them arrested once Congress is out.

So basically, they can and will still be arrested for any crimes they commit. They aren't getting a Get Out of Jail Free card. They just get to take the long way around the board before going to Jail while the rest of us "Go directly to Jail. Do not collect $200".

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

The U.S. Is a corporation.

I AM NOT a U.S. Citizen.

I am an American National or apart of the California Republic.

Be very careful about how you label yourself, the Free Mason's will surely use the word game against you.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I think it comes down to benefits provided to government employees/representatives vs. the common man.

It boils down to political reform and when you're talking about either removing their special privileges or giving those same privileges to others, it's one of the most difficult things to do in government.

Here's some things that would help.

1) Curb donations to no more than $100 per person/entity per year. It's a reasonable amount from any one person and ensures that corporations have no more financial pull over a politician than the average citizen.
2) Prohibit gifts of any kind. This includes travel/food/expenses
3) Make their itemized budgets public information.
4) Create laws that very harshly penalize people using their government position to profit through fraud or special interest.
5) Limit all terms to 4 years. This would prevent career politicians. It was never meant to be a career.
6) Cap benefits to only be applicable to current positions. Once a politician leaves office, they don't get benefits from that position anymore. It's NOT a career position
7) Any benefits they do get are matched to the average working citizen.

posted on Jan, 6 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I am definitely in on this! Lets hope our representitives weren't payed off to ignore this as well..

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   
How about: No branch of government can exempt its members from the rules, regulations or laws that become the law of the land?

ALso: Amendment 29 - Balanced Budget Amendment
There are a few different ones but it is definitely time to require Congress to pass only balanced budgets with nothing off the books and that keeps Social Security and Medicare/Healthcare payments and taxes separate from the general fund.

It should also include a ban on earmarks and special project spending.

ALso: Amendment 30 - One Page Bills
Require Congress to write one page bills that focus on one item at a time and that are required to be written in simple English. All bills to have an addendum as to how much it will cost and how it will be paid for.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenadots

Now we are getting somewhere! That is really great stuff. Let's make it the law of the land.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
If we do not stand upon our rights and demand our represenatives do also, we are silently imply consent of our own demise.

I stand with you and lets get in action on it. To much talk not enough action.

Supply me with a truck and fifth wheel or travel trailer, and i will travel the country speaking everywhere.

Excelsior, let us be up and doing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus Rising

I just copied and pasted this into an E-Mail to my Representative in my State Legislature and asked him if he would sponsor it in the State House.

I recommend every one do the same.

If every one does that, it will be very hard for it not to become reality.

posted on Jan, 7 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
pssst.. you know you can always go to the government website..

[just dropped in to say that s&f]

posted on Jan, 11 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Laws are created that defy the equal protection clause of the Constitution each session of every Congress.

The current bills on a fast track through Congress are un-Constitutional in many areas, but they will most likely stick if passed.

History is against the American people:

Income Tax

Federal Reserve

The Lost Original Thirteenth Amendment

The list is endless!

posted on Apr, 7 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I am very for this...good post. Others should see this, get the word out!
Keep it on top with ATS also word of mouth, send to Rep(as stated above), make a website, advertising it, more.

[edit on 7-4-2010 by dreamingawake]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join