It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Heard a strange noise while meditating

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I was listening to a isochronic tone while meditating. When I was meditating near the end of the soundtrack, I could feel some pressure on my chest and then I heard a loud popping noise coming in front of my bed. Coincidentally, the closet is in that direction. The noise was loud and was like a snapping/popping sound. The instant the noise happened, I felt wide awake. To be honest, I do not think it came from the closet. After the popping noise, I stopped the track and was nervous of what just happened.
Do you think it could just be brain playing tricks?

[edit on 3-1-2010 by sphinx551]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Figured I'd post to bump your thread.
I have no idea what that could be but I'm interested in hearing what some others may have to say about it.

I've had a few weird experiences while meditating, but never that particular sound.
Are you sure it wasn't your closet?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
hhmm, I've not experienced this (yet) myself, but just before you leave your body for an OOBE, you apparently get a signature sound, like a snapping sound. Maybe you were about to go astral. Did you notice any strong vibrations going through you at the time?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR
Are you sure it wasn't your closet?

Not really and the noise was really loud. I was kind of scared for a moment. I even stopped meditating for the night after that.

Acidistic, yes, I felt vibrations throughout my body.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I keep getting the same high pitched ring when i meditate. I thought it may just be me but it happens all the time.

I always see some of the same things each time. Ones a black bird flying. Ones a planet but non of the ones in our solar system and the last ones the number 19 that appears briefly then disapears sometimes four or five times in a session. Anybody else get any repetative visions?

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
That was me with the bubble wrap, sorry man. didn't mean to startle you. But seriously I'd like to try meditation sometime.
that seems odd, anything else happen?

[edit on 3-1-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Its common to hear voices or very loud and overpowering noises while meditating, this normally occurs just before sleep paralysis.

Without stimuli your mind makes its own, often loud and overpowering..,and short.

perfectly normal, just ignore it.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I actually tried to astral project a few times. I could never really relax my mind or body enough but one time i did start to feel relaxed and i heard a really loud 'whooooop'. it was like a high pitched almost cartoony noise. It scared me, and I awoke. I really wish i could get past that point but my mind just wont allow me.

BTW, poster above me, thats a siiick avatar.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Yeah it´s normal, first step in OBE if you can ignore it, but it´s not so easy. Especially loud voices scares me little bit.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Bed spring broke.
Try to look at this objectivley Noises happen all the time right? Just because you were meditating dosent mean anything, it just was something you were doing at the time.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incendia vox
Bed spring broke.

It didn't.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Hello Sphinx;

Glad you posted, I've definitely heard exactly the same thing: a loud popping noise whilst meditating, just one clear, precise, loud POP!

It's happened quite a few times over the years but not for every meditation session by any means.

I have no idea what it is or what it means.

For me when I meditate I do so in silence, so it really stands out as a noise.
The first few times the pop happened was a real shock & confusing & quite a jolt to the system, then after a few more times it becomes less of a disturbance.

It's more than just a noise though, it's also a popping sensation & it's definitely nothing external, definitely internal from inside my head, base of the skull.

There have been additional occasions when it's happened whilst I'm in bed asleep & it wakes me up, or also just in normal every day situations as well - but mostly during meditation.

The main thing is; don't worry, get familiar with the experience of it, try not to let it disturb your mind in any way, absorb it into the meditation, steady breathing & continue...

Anyway that's what I reckon but I'm no expert in anything.

Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incendia vox
...Try to look at this objectivley Noises happen all the time right? Just because you were meditating dosent mean anything, it just was something you were doing at the time.

...Yes but; this happens to quite a few people who meditate & more importantly - it's not an external noise.
Anyway, maybe you think I'm bonkers (maybe I am?) but I think if you experienced it yourself a few times you'd see what I mean.

Peace & Tea

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by moobaawoof

It's more than just a noise though, it's also a popping sensation & it's definitely nothing external, definitely internal from inside my head, base of the skull.

Though it does sound external.
I am really starting to think it might have something to do with Astral Projection.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by sphinx551
Though it does sound external.

I know what you mean, it really does at first, that's why it's so confusing - but after it happens a few more times & it disturbs your mind less, you get the chance to analyse it more...it's definitely an internal sensation.

Also over the years I've had the chance to catch it out when there's been others in the same room also meditating - but they didn't hear it.

I started meditating at 16, then ten years later I lived in a Buddhist community for 3 years until 1999, with 30-40 other people, some ordained. Did absolutely loads of meditating back then & that's when the popping started.
Quite a few people over the years have mentioned having this same sensation...

Originally posted by sphinx551
I am really starting to think it might have something to do with Astral Projection.

Best way for you to find out is to keep practising & see where it leads you...just get familiar with it & don't let it disturb your mind...

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by moobaawoof

Thank you.
I am glad to know that I wasn't alone on this subject and people had a similar experience.

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

No worries.

I also need to thank you because I don't meditate as much as I used to which is shame - I think maybe you just inspired me to get a routine back...

One last thing, different people meditate in lots of different ways with different objectives, all are valid for that individual.

For me I don't head for Astral Projection as that involves allowing your mind to wander (I'm not saying that's wrong), for me my meditations are about focusing my mind onto one object/subject/emotion & holding it with no other thought or disturbance, training my mind to behave & not wander off.

So really, maybe the popping sensation is just about having reached a certain state of mind, or just a symptom of regular meditation, or who knows what... it's not necessarily the prelude to Astral Projection as it depends on what the intention of the meditation is.

All the best & most importantly never stop meditating because you'll just get better & better at it over the years. I really regret not having kept it up regularly.

Peace & Tea

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Was the noise coming from inside your mind or did you hear it through your ears? I have had similar “popping” sounds heard in my mind and my theory is it’s the nervous system or muscle /tissue relaxing. I think the energy you felt was always there but now its stronger it’s been unblocked. The energy is now flowing freely to parts of your brain that it couldn’t get to before. Do a test next time it happens. Go outside stand still walk in the first direction that you feel the need to go, you will most likely walk towards a plant/shrub or tree, hold out your right hand and you will feel the energy or aura. The popping has freed your energy, the hair on your neck may stand up, you will then be pulled in another direction, turn towards it have a good look around feel your environment, this is just an exercise to help you understand the flow of your energy so next time you will know and understand it and not be so scared , you will be able to go deeper into your meditation. I hope this helps you

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by sphinx551

Maybe......

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Why even bother posting a post like this?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join