It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM shuts down Saab

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

This is far from over and we need to wait for the swedish Government. Interesting timing coming up to Christmas to annouce this when many parts of Government are starting to wind down.

I can not see what Spyker Cars would gain from Saab. Spyker announced this week that their cars would be made in the UK.

posted on Dec, 19 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Blame game

"It is a tragic but nonetheless not totally unexpected announcement that Saab will now be wound down," Goeteborgs Posten said, while noting that Saab had barely turned a profit in two decades under GM management.

Most commentators blamed GM for not doing enough to bring out Saab's full potential and said the Swedish centre-right government -- which repeatedly said the state would not step in as owner -- could not be blamed for Saab's fate.

"Now that Saab has come to the end of the road and it's time to write the epilogue, much of the blame will be placed on General Motors' lame ownership,"...

uk.news.yahoo.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Saab may not die after all.

Spyker, a Dutch maker of exotic cars, said Sunday that it had made a new offer to General Motors for the Swedish car brand.

Early Sunday, Spyker Chief Executive Victor Muller said the company had submitted a proposal that addresses the issues that had hung up a deal.

money.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

(PS ...... Though.. I admit, i WOULD buy a Chevy 2010 Camaro ...
just for the sexayness)

www.autoblog.com...

Last month, Chevrolet sponsored an event in Los Angeles called Gay Day at the Movies to promote the release of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Michael Bay's latest opus, of course, features a bunch of General Motors vehicles, not the least of which is the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro that plays the leading role of Bumblebee.

OUCH! They just gayified the Camaro....now I could never consider buying one. The stigma of a certain car being deemed gay is not a good marketing move.

posted on Dec, 20 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Hi, good car fans.

If you want to see how bastards are the USA, GM, or their PDB, see

www.videosift.com...

www.dailymotion.com...

www.sonyclassics.com...

www.pbs.org...

www.ev1.org...

Blue skies.

posted on Dec, 25 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Reinhardt's "Bridging of Divides" happening right before your very eyes:

Beijing Automotive Industry Co. (BAIC) said it paid $200 million to buy technology associated with the Saab brand in an attempt to speed the development of its own models.

The nation's fifth-largest carmaker agreed to buy the vehicle platforms of the Saab 9-3 and 9-5 models and other tooling and powertrain technologies from Saab early this month just before General Motors announced it would wind down the Swedish car unit...

www.indiacar.net...

The Chinese car maker plans to immediately start integrating Saab technology into its vehicles with an aim to sell 100,000 self-developed passenger vehicles in 2011, Xu said.

www.reuters.com...

Exciting times, isn't it?

EDIT: It seems Saab will indeed be shut down. I hope Volvo is next *crosses fingers*

U.S. auto giant General Motors will not consider Dutch sportscar maker Spyker's renewed bid for Saab and is planning to shut down the Swedish brand, a Swedish newspaper reported Thursday.

"Saab's board had a short meeting yesterday. GM representatives were on the phone from the US. And the discussions were entirely about the shutting down Saab -- not about the new bid," wrote daily Svenska Dagbladet (SVD).

www.financialpost.com...

[edit on 12/25/2009 by eldard]

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I agree, Saab 900 Turbo was an icon,
probably didnt sell too well in the US because it handled quite well around corners

the company demise is very sad.

PEACE,
RK

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join