It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When Times Are Hard, The Haves Pull Through

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
It's not often that you read something that restores your faith in basic Human Decency, but I figured I would share a story with you that might help do just that.

Most Americans are facing tough economic hardships this season. No one seems immune. The area in which I live has always been relatively economically depressed, having the highest percentage (per capita) of homeless children in the United States. As such, all the local charities have been facing record shortfalls in donations and have been wondering how they were going to help the record number of people in need this year.

All that changed in 24 hours!

After one editorial in the local newspaper, common every day people rushed the Supermarkets, Clothing Stores, and Toy Stores, and made last minute donations to the local charities. In under 24 hours the local charities not only faced a surplus but gathered a record number of donations that would normally take a decade to gather!

And it wasn't just the Middle Class that towed the line as some charities reported receiving numerous checks between $10,000 - $100,000 each!

Our Toys for Tots program now has the resources to give gifts to 15,000 boys and girls who would have gone without a present this Holiday Season, and another program is able to give those children Winter Coats. Meanwhile, the Salvation Army has enough to feed 5,000 families, and another charity is able to subsidize rent and utilities for 5,000 households.

It's amazing that a community that is hard-hit because of the down-turned Economy with little to give would pull together for those who have even less.

It's even more amazing to realize that it was all sparked by one person writing one editorial.

So just remember, all it takes is one person to bring about change...and Human Decency isn't dead it's just that sometimes it takes a well-worded guilt trip to bring it out when people forget that there are others less fortunate than they.

I am proud of my neighbors and now am wishing that I myself had done more to help.

[edit on 17-12-2009 by fraterormus]

posted on Dec, 17 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thank you for posting this. It's wonderful to read something good for a change. I'm big on donating and have been able to help out several families over the years, not just during the holidays. With times being tough in my own household this year, I have not been able to give as much as I'd like.

Anyhow, thanks for posting and for helping out. I'm sure the receivers will appreciate everything.

join