It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Optical Illusions!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Ok. I seen this video and it was pretty cool so I thought I'd share.
It blows away any optical illusions I've seen in the past.

Edited to add: There are some other fantastic illusions posted below by other contributing members... Be sure to check them out.

I couldn't find a good forum for it, so I hope this is acceptable. (Media)

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
My favorite are the gears.

[edit on 14-12-2009 by ByteChanger]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:25 AM
link   
That is pretty freakin sweet!!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by ByteChanger

This is really amazing loving it!!!!

Thank you for sharing it!

Any back ground on how they did this illusion?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
....ooooh, i love that stuff... a few years back, i spent months collecting every optical illusion i could find online and put 'em on a cd because, ya know, i was gonna use 'em someday to create something incredibly cool... i dont know where the cd is now, lmao - but - come monday, it'll be alright...

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Pretty amazing

I have always been fascinated with these things..

Check these out

Semper

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I remember doing some of these types of images back in High School. It was interesting to see the opinions of others within my class.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Now here's what would impress me: Somebody figuring out how to do this, at home, and posting it on ATS.

The principle of creating the effect seems simple enough.. Anyone up to the challenge? I think it would be a neat side project for anyone with a little determination and time on their hands

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

This should do it, I think you would need a good pc and some type of prgm like PS or 3ds max to pull this off, althought I am not specifically sure how its completely done.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
reply to post by Kaytagg

although I am not specifically sure how its completely done.

Me either. That's the fun of figuring it out for yourself

I think i'll put this on the backburner, and try to do one next time I'm bored with nothing to do.

I wonder how many "frames" you can have in one pic and have it still work.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
The kid said in the post i did above 6 frames, I would assume that to be good because it looks damn near flawless i think ya know?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
This is nothing more than another clever form of zoetrope.

This is basically animation.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I did lot of similar things (strictly B&W!) as footage for live video performance (VHS tapes, later HDD players and software players as VisualJockey - mixed on old analogue Panasonic MX10video mix) at techno parties. I used PS and 3ds max as source of image/animation. But composition of final footage was always done with AfterFX or other postproduction package. It was one of the best parts of my life. I spend one incredible year experimenting with (virtual) mirrors deformed in animation. It's nice toy and you will learn lot of things around optics.

EDIT to add: Now I use 3ds max for testing of solar concentrators designs (as hobby).

EDIT to add2: You don't need any special HW. I started on dual PentiumII@350MHz, 512 MB RAM and first Nvidia Gforce converted by soldering iron to Nvidia Quatro
[edit on 14-12-2009 by zeddissad]

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Awesome website semper!

WHERE IS THE FACE????
I think i found it!

Very cool and interesting stuff on this site....
Thanks semper!!

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR
reply to post by ByteChanger

This is really amazing loving it!!!!

Thank you for sharing it!

Any back ground on how they did this illusion?

Hi Gunsinwar.

Thanks for the reply. I think he has one sheet of vertical lines (foreground). the other sheet has a background image (gears for instance) with (carefully selected) vertical lines removed.

When the vertically lined sheet passes over the background sheet, it fills in the missing lines. While slidding the sheet across the background, should give the illusion of movement... Depending on how well the background is drawn.

I THINK....

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
This is nothing more than another clever form of zoetrope.

This is basically animation.

While I do agree, its not an illusion in the strictest sense, it does give the illusion of movement.

I had to look up Zoetrope.

A zoetrope is a device that produces an illusion of action from a rapid succession of static pictures

I would say it is really tricky 2-frame animation. Since its not done like your typical cartoon (each frame changes slightly). Or as quoted above, no rapid succession of static pictures.

This appears to only use two sheets, background & foreground.

But thanks for your reply. I learned a new word.

Edited to add: After reading more posts, you are probably right. Apparently they use 6 frames to do this. So, like you said... A clever form of zoetrope.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Pretty amazing

Check these out

Semper

Hi Semperfortis.

Thanks for the reply and the REAL illusions. I think those are the best, where your mind is actually tricked while looking at a static picture and it starts to move.

Great contribution to the thread. Thanks

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by GUNSINWAR

Hi Gunsinwar.

Wow. that was a tricky picture... I was wondering if it was upside down...

But, no I eventually found it. You know for sure if you found it, because it is an actually head amongst all those beans.

Should I
"spill the beans" and say where it is? (pun intended)

Thanks for the great reply.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Pretty amazing

Check these out

Semper

thanks for this link...some cool stuff indeed

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by zeddissad

Hi zeddissad.

Wow, sounds like a lot of fun. Although I must admit, it also sounds a little over my head... I'm not very artistically inclined...

Do you have any left over samples from your techno daze? (no offense intended) It would be neat so see one.

You mentioned virtual 'deformed mirrors'... Is that like the mirrors those fun houses have at the carnival's? Sounds like a complicated task to do on a computer. Any samples of that either? It would be cool to see also.

Thanks for the info. I'd really be interested to see some of your work. Sounds fascinating.

Thanks for the reply.

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
reply to post by Kaytagg

This should do it, I think you would need a good pc and some type of prgm like PS or 3ds max to pull this off, althought I am not specifically sure how its completely done.

Hey, that is a pretty cool tutorial. Thanks ThichHeaded. Wish I had seen that earlier. But I'm very glad you found it. Thanks for contributing it.

Hmmm, six frames... I thought it was just two. So that background images must have all six frames collapsed onto the one? (I'm guessing)

Maybe it is a zoetrope like 'Deaf Alien' said...

Thanks again for helping out ThichHeaded.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join