It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Tax Stamp Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
In the state of Texas there is a law that you can be in possession of any amount of Marijuana as long as there are state tax stamps for that same amount.

I have asked many Texans and (not) surprisingly most think that getting tax stamps from the State of Texas would be self incrimination.

But if you had a non-profit orginization that pushed education about marijuana and mary jane itself, you would have a self feeding cow.

Non profit orginizations don't pay taxes as long as they are religious or educational non-profits they can launder they money to any other non-profit orginization of their choice.

Despite all of this in the state of Texas Marijuana is not decriminalized one bit. That is, unless you have your tax stamps. There are no laws about growing though.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 12.21.12

Several states have marijuana tax stamps.

Here is a story with some pictures.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Most states also have some sort of law about growing. Certain states may allow you to grow up to three plants. However in Texas there is no laws that I have been able to find. So whats that mean if there is no law?

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Here's a handy little guide to the marijuana laws state by state.

norml.org...

Notice that in Texas the penalties for possesion are heavy, but if you have tax stamps it's all good. No growing laws.

norml.org...

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Growing would probably fall under the heading of possesion, since you are still possesing it the same laws would probably apply. However if you are growing enough they could probably argue intent to distribute. I would not encourage you or anyone to screw around and try to find a loophole in texas of all states, try asking a cop or a lawyer but you really do not want to screw around in texas.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
i had no idea about the stamp law here...

thanks!

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
www.window.state.tx.us...

There you go

Due Date
When a "dealer" imports, manufactures, produces, acquires, and/or possesses a controlled substance.

You can grow you just have to pay taxes on your plant i guess. But i think this is a trick for cops to troll stoners.

Penalty: 200% of tax and 3rd Degree Felony
norml.org...

So now if you are caught with any ammount without your tax stamp you have to pay a big fine and get a 3rd degree Felony which is 2 - 10 years. I would not screw around with this.

posted on Dec, 10 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zaiger

Well if you were growing, it would not be taxable or weighable.

It is when it is packaged that it can be taxed.

So maybe it's that way for a reason.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

You will still have to pay taxes on it.

Due Date
When a "dealer" imports, manufactures, produces, acquires, and/or possesses a controlled substance.

If you were not to pay taxes on whatever you decide to grow you would just be seen as another drug producing criminal.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This is just so you dont get pounded by the IRS when they catch you with a stash. You will not get out of jail free if you produce the stamp. People collect these stamps btw.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

I don't know how it is in Texas, I have to look into it, but I was watching one of those DrugBust shows on Spike today, and in New Jersey, a plant with a root system counts as one pound.

posted on Dec, 11 2009 @ 11:51 PM
link   
at one time there was a federal tax on Marihuana.(no i did not misspell it)
1937 Marihuana Tax Act,
news.humcounty.com...

The 1937 Act was repealed by the "Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970"

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

The way I understand, in Texas they don't nail you with possession charges after three ounces. They nail you with TAX EVASION.

posted on Dec, 12 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

at one time there was a federal tax on Marihuana.(no i did not misspell it)

Trivia time.

Before the prohibition of the use of Cannabis as a recreational drug, it was referred to as hemp. Now hemp is a an extremely useful plant, so useful that George Washington and Thomas Jefferson and a whole lot of other people were major farmers of the stuff. The Declaration of Independence an the Constitution are both written on hemp paper. Navies all over the world depended on it for ropes. During World War II, when the farming of hemp had been discouraged for 20 or more years because of drug fears, the US Government spread hemp seed from airplanes all over the midwest and south to increase its availability. It grows along the roadsides to this day despite eradication efforts (the DEA spends 100's of millions of dollars a year to eradicate 'ditchweed' - incredible).

When hemp was found to be useful as a recreational drug by various sub-cultures like artists and musicians, the main source of the higher THC content hemp was Latin America: Mexico, Cuba, Panama, etc, where it was called marijuana.

When the wowsers decided that there needed to be a prohibition on the stuff, they couldn't call it hemp because the country knew hemp as an extremely beneficial plant, and what are we going to make ropes out of?

So they used the word marijuana to distinguish good hemp from bad. Only most Americans couldn't pronounce the word properly if they kept its Spanish spelling, this was the 1920's remember, so the Anglicized it and replaced the 'j' with an 'h' in the propaganda. This carried into the prohibition bills.

So if you are refering to the propaganda against the drug use, or the prohibition bills, then yes, using the 'marihuana' is correct. If you are referring to the recreational drug version of hemp, then 'marijuana' is correct.

Clear as mud?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by rnaa

Clear as mud?

Pretty much.

Hemp = Industrial use.
Marijuana = Recreational use.

new topics

top topics

join