It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do We Know God Is Anti-Abortion? It Would Appear Otherwise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
How Do We Know God Is Anti-Abortion? It Would Appear Otherwise

What Does The Bible Say About Abortion?

Hosea 9:11-16 Hosea prays for God's intervention. Ephraim shall bring forth his children to the murderer. Give them, 0 Lord: what wilt thou give? Give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts. Ephraim is smitten, their root is dried up, they shall bear no fruit: yea though they bring forth, yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb. Clearly Hosea desires that the people of Ephraim can no longer have children. God of course obeys by making all their unborn children miscarry. Is not terminating a pregnancy unnaturally abortion"?

Numbers 5:11-21 The description of a bizarre, brutal and abusive ritual to be performed on a wife SUSPECTED of adultery. This is considered to be an induced abortion to rid a woman of another man's child.

Numbers 31:17 (Moses)"Now therefore kill every male among the little ones, and kill every women that hath known man by lying with him." In other words: women that might be pregnant, which clearly is abortion for the fetus.

Hosea 13:16 God promises to dash to pieces the infants of Samaria and the "their women with child shall be ripped up".Once again it appears God allows the killing the unborn, including their pregnant mothers.

1 Samuel 15:16 God allows the pregnant women of Tipsah to be "ripped open".. It would appear that God allows pregnant Woman to be murdered, yet the vocal Christian position is that God does not allow the killing of the unborn. How can this be? It doesn't make sense.

***********THIS POST WAS CREATED FOR THE PURPOSE OF INTELLECTUAL DEBATE BASED ON SCRIPTURE. SINCE THE POPULAR CHRISTIAN POSITION IS THAT GOD IS ANTI-ABORTION, THESE SCRIPTURES ARE INTRODUCED TO DEMONSTRATE THAT MAYBE WHAT HAS BEEN PRESENTED AS FACT, MAY IN FACT BE EITHER A POLITICAL POSITION***** OR THE INTERPRETATION OF A SELECT GROUP WHO REPEATS IT AS FACT WITHOUT CLOSER EXAMINATION******DISCLAIMER: THE AUTHOR OF THIS POST IS NOT AN ENEMY OF CHRISTIANITY, NOR CHRISTIANS. IN FACT, THE PURPOSE OF THIS POST IS TO FURTHER EXAMINE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN WHAT MEN TEACH, AND WHAT GOD REALLY SAID ON ANY TOPIC*****

Having said that......where in the Bible does it indicate that God is " anti-abortion"?

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I think the bit where it says "Thou Shalt Not Kill" about covers it.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   
but doesn't God (the one in the Bible) order His People to go and "Utterly Smite" entire tribes, including the animals? Also, please re-read the post. The quotes I used are FROM the Bible where he orders the death of others. But, thank you for your reply

[Edited on 04-08-2004 by ladyspiritguide]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is a topic I wont touch...
LOL
I'll keep my opinion to myself, but, will say that its a topic that could bring much debate..which means I will read along

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I read somewhere that the God of the OT was a vengeful god. God can order death (since he can also give life) but humans can't give life, therefore should not give death. (Hence 'Thou shalt not kill')

However, once Christ sacrificed himself for the sins of humanity, God decided not to carry on with the 'smiting'. Christ, I believe, said that you should love God and love humanity - which implies that killing of any type (including abortion) is anathema to him.

And no, I'm not Christian although I was brought up Catholic and the Christian religion intrigues me.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Well does God know that a fetus is not a self-aware being and that children do not devolop cognitive skills 6-9 months after birth ?

I doubt that.

This is a touchy subject which mingles faith, morals and science and has lead to some violent backlashes.

The Christian God allows for many things, should we really take it serious and react to every situation through his/her's eyes in the 21st century?

Deep

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by ZeroDeep]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep
Well does God know that a fetus is not a self-aware being and that children do not devolop cognitive skills 6-9 months after birth ?

I doubt that.

"Well does God know..... I doubt that"

Let me assure you the one who created knows what he created. I think your statement is rediculous!

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   

since this "point" has been made before to jusitfy abortion does your comment mean that we should also be allowed to kill new born babies if we want?

i'm not wanting a fight or even an argument, just a clarification. your comment seems to imply this.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 08:16 AM
link   
The Bible also gives punishment for a man who causes a woman to lose her unborn.

Where is the difference between killing under orders of God and killing for self-serving reasons? Abortion is self-serving, it is not done because one is following God, but because one is not serving God.

By the logic used by the initiator of this thread, why did the God that led the Jews in battle, commanding them to kill, punish Cain for killing Abel?

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I'm the last person in the world to be considered a Conservative, I'm for freedom of religion & gay rights & everything...BUT--

I cannot shake the idea that abortion is killing a life. It seems like a real no-brainer.

I think that (some) pro-life groups do themselves a disservice by getting all "crazy" and advocating violence to abortion doctors and choosing extreme medical cases where abortion is considered an option (if the fetus is not aborted, the mother will die, or 13-year-old raped by her dad and forced to have baby). Such extremity only completely alienates other women and then they're pushed into thinking in the opposite direction, that abortion isn't killing at all.

I think there are extreme cases where abortion is called for--though I do not deny that it is the ending of a life. I liken it to deaths in war, which is another extreme case. But a 16-year-old who was fooling around with her boyfriend and now doesn't want the baby is NOT an extreme case--abortion in such cases is just plain wrong.

Birth-Control, people!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Even if you are right in that a fetus is not 'self-aware' as you put it and if children do not develop cognitive skills till 6-9 months after being born, does that make them any less HUMAN ?

Originally posted by ThePrankMonkey

since this "point" has been made before to jusitfy abortion does your comment mean that we should also be allowed to kill new born babies if we want?

This is a question that the anti-lifers can NEVER answer, PM. You're wasting your breath. I tried to ask this one a zillion times in the last abortion thread (which was deleted eventually) and all the people who called themselves pro-choice seemed to gloss over it.

The way I put it was this:

Why is it that up to the minute before a mother gives birth, her baby isn't considered human and therefore it's perfectly LEGAL for her to tell her doctor she doesn't want it and to kill it.....

But...not two seconds after it's born, it's suddenly acquired the status of human and hence a crime to kill it. Punishable by life in prison in fact.

It just seems an impossiblity to me. How is a baby considered a non-living thing one minute then a human being the next ? It either IS or it ISN'T. There is no magickal metamorphasis from non-living non-human to living-human being.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Why is it that up to the minute before a mother gives birth, her baby isn't considered human and therefore it's perfectly LEGAL for her to tell her doctor she doesn't want it and to kill it.....

But...not two seconds after it's born, it's suddenly acquired the status of human and hence a crime to kill it. Punishable by life in prison in fact.

its made of LIVING cells, therefore it is a living thing even if people want to argue whether it has a conciousness or not. animals have varying levels of conciousness, does this mean we can put a priority on what animals we can and cant kill before another species???

i understand this issue is a tough one to deal with and i recognize that people have free will and all this is is a debate of morality which is subjective and relative.

i have my own opinions on this but none of them are very popular with those for and against it so i dont voice them very often.

i just thought i'd ask zerodeep for some clarification...i guess he doesnt realize the thread was moved to BTS. however if anyone who shares his sentiment wants to explain it to me i'm all ears.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Don't misunderstand PM, please...we agree on this issue obviously.

I was directing my question to the "pro-choicers" on the board. All of which were unable (refused) to answer it in the last abortion thread I participated in.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Wolverine not want a fight, something seems fishy here bub

I can't come to accord with my views on this subject. On one end of the spectrum, killing innocence is against my values and morals, but on the other, my values and morals are relative and do not speak for the general will.

A women who is raped they say is more than olbigated to abort, but a women who choosed not to keep the child for reasons of her own, is not ?

In the end a child is still killed.

I choose not to get into abortion debates, people tend to get emotional and these inner-feelings impose on rational debate.

Deep

new topics

top topics

join