It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Not liking this new censor system.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
So, let me get this straight, Kay'em, you are trying to make it sound as if you have no idea why foul language is not proper conduct in public, and you are truly making the argument that you should be able to use fould language?

In a nutshell yes. I don't appreciate society deciding for me what is/is not acceptable behaviour. If I say the "S", or even "F" word in public and somebody else gets offended by it, I consider that tough titty on them. They are the ones who choose to be offended by it. Heck, using your arguement I could get all offended whenever I hear someone in public say that GW is the greatest leader ever to have graced our lovely planet. But I don't because what some stranger says in public has absolutely NOTHING to do with me, NOR is it any of my business.

BUT like I said. To reiterate, I understand that this is a rule of this board, and respecting that and loving and enjoying ATS, I won't swear (unless a cuss word accidentally pops out during a fit of passion in a post, in which case it will be deleted anyway). Again, I am not challenging Simons choices for his group. I wouldn't do that. But I DO challenge the idea that swearing in and of itself is a bad thing. Please..you tell me, what is so bad about a simple WORD ?

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by KayEm]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Again, I'm talking about 2-way words, not outright swearing. Words that have more than 1 meaning. I put it in my post, to indicate I was replying to the original post and when I saw it, it didn't address that post at all.

That I do understand, when I was moderating a chat, a lot of people had issues with the system we used because of this fact. But I guess you could find another word for it? one that doesnt trip the censor? like *the burning pit* or something like that. I dont know what word you are referring to. Just know that where I worked it was an issue as well.

BTW, can someone tell me what Turn on Low Bandwith Mode is? I dont want to make a new thread for it, and didnt find it searching though its probibly there somewhere.

[Edited on 23-5-2004 by Darkblade71]

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Playing devils advocate here, and admittedly being a little bit silly..

KayEm, would you be offended if someone were to flatulate loudly while standing in front of you in a deli line? It's a perfectly natural act, after all.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Playing devils advocate here, and admittedly being a little bit silly..

KayEm, would you be offended if someone were to flatulate loudly while standing in front of you in a deli line? It's a perfectly natural act, after all.

I was actually visualizing what you said as I read it and truthfully ?

No. I wouldn't be offended at all. I would probably break into hysterical giggles.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
That is important insight into your character, Kay'em. Not that it matters much that you think you should be able to offend people with impunity, as that will obviously not be tolerated here.

Think about it, though, Kay, it is bothering you a lot, that you can't just be disrespectful to ladies and children here. Ever thought about building a site like this, but with the difference that it resembles an open sewer? You might have something there! If Simon et al can build such a large site using quality, maybe you could build an even bigger one using "Crudity"! Especially in today's environment, huh?!?

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow, three pages and still running. I would have thought that the collective "creative needs " of ATS would be needed elsewhere. The bottom line is the ground rules are there, defined by those in a position to make them (it is their site after all), and with good reason in mind (the availability of this forum to all). TC is correct in pointing out that if an alternate format is desirable, opportunity is knocking for someone out there. I've read some truly well reasoned, articulate posts on a variety of subjects on ATS. I will read certain posts by particular authors based solely on the quality of previous posts, with no regard for thread topic. My two "sense".

Profanity, crutch of the illiterate, dull sword of the ignorant.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne
That is important insight into your character, Kay'em. Not that it matters much that you think you should be able to offend people with impunity, as that will obviously not be tolerated here.

Think about it, though, Kay, it is bothering you a lot, that you can't just be disrespectful to ladies and children here. Ever thought about building a site like this, but with the difference that it resembles an open sewer? You might have something there! If Simon et al can build such a large site using quality, maybe you could build an even bigger one using "Crudity"! Especially in today's environment, huh?!?

Why don't you read my entire posts, TC.

I've stated REPEATEDLY that I am making a distinction between ATS and the 3-D world. I've also said that I am NOT in any way challenging Simons rules and that I love this site.

Oh...and contrary to what you implied. I happen to be a lady too. And just because I would giggle if somebody in front of me farted in a deli line should not impugn or have anything to do with my "character" as you put it.

What is your problem anyway...you seem to be having smoke coming out of your ears because somebody else has a different opinion then you.

I don't think cussing is a big deal out THERE in the real world (again..pay attention....verrrryyyyy slowly...I...am...NOT....talking....about....the....ATS....rules...here).

And Also, again...who are you to decide what is offensive and what is not ? Don't you find wars and killing to be more offensive to you and your family then a few swear words ?

And leave my "character" alone. I set priorities for what I choose to get offended about. I'm a good person who will lend a helping hand whenever it's needed. I listen to peoples troubles with a sympathetic ear always. And I always try to give the other person the benefit of the doubt. Quit trying to pick me apart simply because I happen to think there is nothing wrong with cussing.

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Some years ago when I was in college, the group performed a social experiment with regards the effects of words.

Instead of the word 'F**k', we were informed to use the word 'Fish'.

After the standard few hours of laughing and mockery, we settled into the experiment. If someone dropped a pencil, they would say 'Fish'. If someone banged his knee, he would say 'Fish'. If the bus was late those waiting would say 'Fish'. And so on ...

After a month or so of this, certain people in the group actually began to view the word 'Fish' as a profanity. They had problems using the word in normal conversation and would use it often in situations where they were angry. It was a very interesting idea and something that I hadn't understood until then.

The word itself is just that - a word. A sound that comes from the voicebox of a human being. It is the context of that sound that causes problems - or not - depending on the meaning given to it.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I appreciate the absence of vulgarity on this site,
and regard some restraint as necessary (this is private property, after all).

[edit on 2004-7-2 by Teknik]

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Yes all thoughts are going to be replaced with [T].

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
Yes all thoughts are going to be replaced with i love ATS i will not complain, i love ATS i will not complain....

fixed!

this is what kano really meant...

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Runnin' the tests, don't mind the swears, just want to make sure the thing is working properly. Plus, I am very wired right now, and wish to swear a lot.

Quick! Hurry Up! Wash it wash it wa#! WA#!!!

God-Damned Goddamned God Damned Yankees!

Wank, Wanker, Wanking, Bollocks, Bloody-damned, Schiesse BARBARA STREISAND!

A discussion of the anatomy of the human penis.
Alarming rise in breast (aka mammary) cancer

Ass? Ass Hole? Ass-Hole? Asshole? Which is it?

And, just for auld lang syne...

sweet!!!

EDIT, and hindsight: Interesting, Sweet is no longer bolded, but Wanker becomes wanker. Interesting.

[Edited on 5-27-2004 by Xenographer]

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 07:26 AM
link   
My two cents,
I hear more cursing in my classroom and around the halls sometimes( I teach 6,7 and 8 graders) that I can read here in this forums.

[Edited on 27-5-2004 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join