It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Timetravel the paradox

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Youre looking at the problem in a very cartesian way.

What about pre-destiation?

No one would or could ever go back and kill a relative, because these people dont exist, because if they did they would have prevented any chance of their existence anyway.

Another example is travelling back in time to prevent a disaster, for arguments sake, 9/11. You mission will obviously be a failure, for some reason, as the event took place.

This theory relies on a single linear dimensional timeline

Or perhaps time travellers are unable to actively influence their new surroundings. Since the third dimension can be blurred (bent or whatever you want) by gravity, perhaps the 4th dimension can be blurred. Maybe this is why people see ghosts?

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Maybe a time machine would not be able to travel backwards past the point in time when it becomes operational? You could travel forwards in time, and backwards once enough time has elapsed since the machine was invented, but never past the point in time it was invented.
and nothing is impossible, princeton university was able to transport Photons to another room, without a physical connection between the rooms. Nothing in science says time travel is not feasable. If you wish to get technical, every time an astronaut is lanched they age slightly less than the people still on earth.

posted on May, 24 2004 @ 07:24 AM
link   
the astronaut ageing thing is a relativity issue. although i agree that if particles can be made to move through space as you say, then there is no reason why they cannot be moved through time. they are one and the same thing, in a paradoxical kind of way.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   

you can't change the past and if someone did go into the past wouldn't our world be constantly changing

well it wouldn�t be constantly changing because we would be living in the new reality that the changes made. But then again in that new reality there would be no need to go back in time and make those changes in the first place. and what if that new reality meant we never invented the time machine then you wouldn�t have been able to change the past either and we would be back to square 1.

Arghhh this is to confusing but and interesting topic none the less.

posted on May, 25 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Say you(1) are 30 years old. You(1) travel back 20 years to see your kid self(2), 10 years old. Your 30 year old self(1) and 10 year old self(2) exist at the same time. Assuming that the original 30 year old self(1) time travelled backwards only one time and no more... problems arise.

When your 10 year old kid self(2) reaches 30, clearly he will travel back in time, because he already did. However, to him(2) when he travels back to his childhood he(2) was with his original self(1) as he experienced it. Now there are three zombies and no end in sight. The world would literaly fill up with people and spill out into space.

You could travel foward through time (as we are doing) at different rates and come up with spooky effects though.

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I was just reading about a theory that some scientist is proposing that will eliminate time from consideration. He says that time is just an illusion created by the human mind. Each moment is eternal just like frames in a movie; it is just the constantly changing arrangement of particles in the universe that cause us to perceive time. It sounds so me like it is a good way to unify quantum theory with relativity because one of the major differences between them is how time is considered. There has even been an equation written that partially explains the universe with out considering time.

cma

posted on May, 26 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Timetravel is technically possible if in a hyper-relative situation or wormhole discent. There are 2 problems. The Grandfather Theory, which is obvious, you can effect the present and make it an oxymoron for you to be there, and the fact you would have to be there at the EXACT time.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I think time travel into the future is possible. This is my own little theory, but anyhow- I believe that time travels at the same speed as light. That is why it is theorized that the closer to the speed of light you travel the "slower" time goes for you, that is because you are approaching the speed of time. This is also why it makes sense that it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, because how could you travel faster than the speed of time?

As for time travel into the past.. I don't think its possible because of the grand-father paradoxes. And also, I read on another thread or maybe this one someone asked how your matter could exist twice, which is a very interesting point. You wouldn't have that problem, nor the grandfather paradoxes with time travel to the future.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Today, we know that time travel need not be confined to myths, science fiction, Hollywood movies, or even speculation by theoretical physicists. Time travel is possible. For example, an object traveling at high speeds ages more slowly than a stationary object. This means that if you were to travel into outer space and return, moving close to light speed, you could travel thousands of years into the Earth's future.
Nova Online

As for the Grandfather paradox, here are some theory.

Complementary time travel

Since quantum mechanics is governed by probabilities, an unmeasured entity (in this case, your historical grandfather) has numerous probable states. When that entity is measured, the number of its probable states singularises, resulting in a single outcome (in this case, ultimately, you). Therefore, since the outcome of your grandfather is known, your killing your grandfather would be incompatible with that outcome. Thus, the outcome of one's trip backwards in time must be complementary with the state from which one left.[3]

Novikov self-consistency principle

See the Novikov self-consistency principle and Kip S. Thorne for one view on how backwards time travel could be possible without a danger of paradoxes. According to this hypothesis, the only possible timelines are those which are entirely self-consistent, so that anything a time traveler does in the past must have been part of history all along, and the time traveler can never do anything to prevent the trip back in time from being made since this would represent an inconsistency. This is the view taken by the author of Doraemon.
- en.wikipedia.org...

Wouldn't it be nice to travel to the future? Somewhat exciting and frightening....

(source link added)

[edit on 31-8-2007 by Jbird]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 10:25 AM
link   
On the question of possibility of 'time travel' first that comes on my mind is the fact that we see the past over our heads when we look at stars. We clearly see the past...light waves sent off years and years ago, but there is NO interaction going on!

What about going into past or in the future - we are require to know the position of every atom of that precise moment....

[edit on 30-8-2007 by blue bird]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This is what i think about time travel, it is possible but few problems. Grandad paradox, another you in an alternate reality dies.

My biggest problem with time travel is location of date, if you want to travel back in time lets say, 100,000,000 years. If its 12:01 when you leave, and presuming time travel is intant, it could be 11:59 when you get there, infact it could be any time, the Earths orbit may be different, one day 100 million years ago could of been only 23 hours, and that would make some problems, or how about. Re-appearing 100 million years ago....in a volcano
how can you choose where to end up, who say you wont travel back in time and end up in space.

With the amount of chnages our planet has had placing time locations and so on would be sooo hard, i would think it would be more push the button and hope for the best.

O one more thing can i make a deal with a super mod or some one, if i dont spell one word wrong for a month i get 10k ats points, cause lets face it, so far ive spelt a word wrong in every post ive ever made.

Take Care Every One, Vix

top topics

<< 1   >>

join