It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YEMEN on the Brink: Why the whole world will take notice.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Fantastic Thread - Thank you. You've given me a mornings worth of reading and research.

I was surfing around for more information about Yemen after hearing of the air strikes but find most everything I need right here in your thread. Thanks again.

Anyway, I also applaud you on including the map... Talk about a picture painting a thousand words.

peace

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by donhuangenaro
well, nothing new for military industrial complex to spread conflicts, they need money and to look like they are winning the 'war on terror',

but they are not...

Well if they control the conflicts, and spread them to regions they wish to bring under control or "punish", then they can just as easily end them.
Being in near total control is victory in it self.

The only thing that can stop them is if the people as one united entity rise up and throw the corrupt governments out of office. And the corrupt governments, made up of corrupt individuals whose only interest is money and power driven by greed, are found everywhere.

Of course they can also use the people to do their work of overthrowing governments that wont bend to their will, by using NGO's and other "fake" organisations/groups/associations that they control and are behind. Just like all those colour revolutions.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Ok, so now it's out that we've been there a year. And isn't it interesting that, in the "coming out" story today - U.S. quietly takes terror war to Yemen Covert front against al-Qaida was opened a year ago, military officers say -, they now can tie all of the recent "terrorist" events in the US to AlQaida training in Yemen?

Ties to plots against U.S.
Meanwhile, there have been increasing Yemeni ties to plots against the United States. A Muslim man charged in the June 1 killing of a soldier at a recruiting center in a mall in Little Rock, Ark., had traveled to Yemen, prompting a review by the F.B.I. of other domestic extremists who had visited the country.

A radical cleric in Yemen, Anwar al-Awlaki, has been linked to numerous terrorism suspects, including Nidal Malik Hasan, the American Army major who faces murder charges in the shooting deaths of 13 people at Fort Hood, Tex., in November.

In the latest issue of Sada al-Malahim, the Internet magazine of the Qaeda affiliate in Yemen, the group’s leader, Nasser al-Wuhayshi, praised the use of small bombs — not just big ones — to attack an enemy, in an eerie foreshadowing of Friday’s episode on the plane to Detroit.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Just like the other places the US bombs, you can't bomb an idea. It is impossible to war against an army that won't form up.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Thank you.

You know, I started this thread over a month ago.

It's fascinating how 'Yemen' dominates the news now.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Today:

'Hundreds of al-Qaeda militants planning attacks from Yemen'

Hundreds of al-Qaeda militants are planning terror attacks from Yemen, the country’s Foreign Minister said today.

Abu Bakr al-Qirbi appealed for more help from the international community to help to train and equip counter-terrorist forces.

posted on Dec, 29 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Isnt it amazing.... they ALL have to do with Yemen! .. You could almost say it was a coincidence and that the US was not just pulling "news" from it's arse and spoon feeding the ignorant people...

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Officials: U.S., Yemen reviewing targets for possible strike

The U.S. and Yemen are now looking at fresh targets in Yemen for a potential retaliation strike, two senior U.S. officials told CNN Tuesday, in the aftermath of the botched Christmas Day attack on an airliner that al Qaeda in Yemen claims it organized.

The officials asked not to be not be identified because of the sensitive nature of the information. They both stressed the effort is aimed at being ready with options for the White House if President Obama orders a retaliatory strike. The effort is to see whether targets can be specifically linked to the airliner incident and its planning.

U.S. special operations forces and intelligence agencies, and their Yemeni counterparts, are working to identify potential al Qaeda targets in Yemen, one of the officials said. This is part of a new classified agreement with the Yemeni government that the two countries will work together and that the U.S. will remain publicly silent on its role in providing intelligence and weapons to conduct strikes.

Officially the U.S. has not said it conducted previous airstrikes in Yemen, but officials are privately saying the Yemeni military could not have carried out the strikes on its own.

By all accounts, the agreement would allow the U.S. to fly cruise missiles, fighter jets or unmanned armed drones against targets in Yemen with the consent of that government.

Well, it's all pretty much out in the open now.

Welcome to our THIRD war....

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Yemen is so small and unimportant that the most the US will do is air raids.. If we did any troop activity it will sure to be special forces.. there is simply no reason to go inside Yemen with troops to tople a government.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

No offense intended, but it doesn't appear you have really reviewed any of the material I presented.

The US isn't interested in toppling the government in YEMEN. It's interested in bolstering it.

We need Yemen, and anyone who thinks Yemen does not provide significant strategic importance to the US does not understand the situation there.

I suggest you go back and wade through all of the material I initially provided. As the title of this thread indicates, the situation in Yemen has the potential to make the whole world take notice.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by loam]

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
What is badly needed in that entire region is another Lawrence of Arabia, to unite the Arabic countries and too gain sum stability against extremist groups. Unless of course it is just a black gold rush situation..

Foreign forces will not achieve this ever and will further fuel the "terror" conflict. Assistance and guidance might help but direct conflict will not win it I don't think.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Kudos to you on calling this. I was just thinking about your thread the other day and how well you had detailed out what we are now starting to see.

posted on Dec, 30 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Thank you.

When I said, "Sooner or later, it looks like this situation will draw in the US." I really meant it. Given the circumstances, it seemed plainly obvious to me.

I do not make predictions lightly.

[edit on 30-12-2009 by loam]

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The drums keep beating....

It seems Yemen has gone viral.

GORDON BROWN CALLS YEMEN SUMMIT AFTER ATTEMPTED PLANE BOMBING

PRIME MINISTER Gordon Brown has received "strong support" from the US and European Union for an international meeting to discuss radicalisation in Yemen.

Mr Brown called for the high-level summit in London after the failed Christmas Day bomb attack on a US plane over Detroit.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

This is probably Obama's plan to get troops outta Iraq, moving them into

another country.

American's are a war Mongering people, they will support this.

And the body bag makers will have a Banner year.

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sean48
reply to post by loam

This is probably Obama's plan to get troops outta Iraq, moving them into

another country.

American's are a war Mongering people, they will support this.

And the body bag makers will have a Banner year.
I strongly disagree. The people of the US are not for war. It is the government. Big difference..

posted on Jan, 1 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

That's an interesting suggestion.

You may be right about that.

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Straight from the horse's mouth:

Yemen...Yemen...Yemen.

[edit on 2-1-2010 by loam]

posted on Jan, 2 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

But... and I am still going to stick to this.. I don't think we will send in an occupying force to protect and or dismantle the government.. I've read your thread, and I simply don't see justification for occupation, be it to protect or dismantle the regime. I don't see "what's in it for us" .. if we DO .. I will be very, very surprised.. it would probably be a Somalia type deal, and not so much full scale occupation..

But who knows, it certainly is getting more attention than I thought it would..

posted on Jan, 3 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I'm not certain the actual motivation, but I'm quite certain that Yemen figures in a MAJOR way with some new strategy in the Middle East. Perhaps, it is just the perfect candidate to remove troops to from Iraq...or maybe it really is about protecting the Saudi's.....or oil....or shipping.... or....

Whatever it is, the escalation in rhetoric is undeniable. See these items from today's news alone:

U.S., Britain close embassies in Yemen

The FULL Obama Weekly Address, January 2, 2010

Transcript: Obama Weekly Address, January 2, 2010

With the embassies closing, I'd say something big is about to happen.

[edit on 3-1-2010 by loam]

<< 1    3  4 >>

join