It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

On another note ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Rapper Ice-T has a new student :@
David Hasselhoff and his Neighbour in LA(Ice-T) are planning to bring David back into popularity by turning him into a rapper :@

Be cautious Emenem, The Boobmaster is on his way.

uk.news.yahoo.com...

What do you guys think about the rap scene and what it is becomming?

Is the global media monster taking over this original underground creature called Rap? Or is the rap scene just loosing its focus?

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I don't like rap...I can't stand it

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I�m with you Plato986. Give me some good old southern rock.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Is the global media monster taking over this original underground creature called Rap? Or is the rap scene just loosing its focus?

I'm by no means an expert on rap, but I think its getting far too commercialized. Rap used to be "the underground", like rock in the 60's. It was entertainment for those who didn't like what everyone else approved of. Now, its a fad for kids. It used to be widely listened to (and produced by) urban people describing problems in urban society. Now, rap is all about money, and how to get people to buy your cds. Thats just my opinion.

posted on May, 27 2004 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I think the worst thing about rap music is the lyrics. They're disgusting, sexist, homophobic and promote vlolence. This is not true in all cases, but in the popular majority, these lyrics are very common.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I think its safe to say that Hasselhoff will pretty much suck arse at being a rapper. First off to be a successfully white rapper it seems you have to be from a broken background/family, not just be a washed up 80's movie/tv star. Didnt he make a stab at being a real musician as well a while back? Personally I don't even think Dre or Talib Kweli could help this dude into either rap or hip-hop.

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Old, white T.V. star a rapper, huh. Ok... Hip-hop seems to be where rock was when it was spitting out glam rock... Shallow.

That's not to say there aren't any blingin' diamonds in the rough, though!

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Who is David Hasselhoff? hee hee

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I said a hip, hop, the hippie
the hippie dibby hip hop hop and you don't stop... awww heck

posted on May, 28 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Somehow I don't buy this story. I don't trust Sky News. :-D

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   
well if you were going to have subliminal or even actual coded messages in lyrics

rap has a lot more lyrics per song than any other kind of music.

i think its the music videos you should be worried about though.

posted on May, 31 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Haha

I swear I've heard that in some dark dark twisted version of our reality, Hasselhoff has in fact had a previous musical career, and was loved by a good amount of the...german(?) population.
I seem to recall a photo of his quasi-jeri curl encusted head bopping around with a Bruce Springstein-ish bandanna over there. To quite a bit of fanfare. I hope I'm mistaken...

One million Germans can't be wrong. Yes, yes the could.

[Edited on 31-5-2004 by TheSeeker]

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Isn't Hasselhoff an overgrown, approx 6ft 6in freak in his late forties trying to fit in with the younger crowd? No sumbliminal advertising can help him.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
I�m with you Plato986. Give me some good old southern rock.

Hell yeah!! I dont like rap either.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
We've already beaten the hell out of this one. That's why I like BTS.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

I think that what is heard on Clear Channel top 40 stations is as much real rap as Good Charlotte is Punk. It really started, in my opinion, with Puff Daddy. He was the first mainstream artist to get rich, and flaunt it, and along with Biggy Smalls, turned the public perception of rap from an urban-based, socially-conscious form of music to this super money-culture about bling and women. Since then it's only gotten worse.

This is the kind of thing that gets on the radio now, because this is what the major labels pay to get on the radio and make people listen to. Not all rap is boring, uncreative, and about money etc! Just a few modern hip hop artists of merit:
The Streets
Optimus Rhyme
Non-Prophets / Sage Francis
Mr. Lif
Atmosphere
Mad Villain

just to name a few.

I personally am sick of the major labels controlling the industry illegally and unfairly. Saving music diversity, however, is a downhillbattle...

www.downhillbattle.org

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by alternateheaven
Didnt he make a stab at being a real musician as well a while back?

He is actually quite big in Europe, believe it or not...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Why should rap "music" be immune from control by big business and the media:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Why should rap "music" be immune from control by big business and the media:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I am confused as to what point you are trying to make. Why are you asking only about rap music? Do you think that music should be under control by big businesses and the media? DO you think or don't care if just rap music, and/or anything else that doesn't fit into your own concept as to what constitutes music should be controlled by big business and the media?

I will tell you that music, as an artform, should not be under the control of big businesses and the media because for art to be controlled in such a manner devalues it as art. Art should not be about making money, but about personal expression.

I will also tell you that rap, whether you like it or not, is music. Please do not treat as if it is not music simply because you do not like it.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   
This is what he looks like now. It was ages ago when he was ever popular. He's over-the-hill & It turns out he's older than I thought.

entertainment.msn.com...

new topics

top topics

join