It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Large Hadron Collider experiment is being relaunched - right NOW!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Hi everybody.

The LHC seems to be in the process of relaunch of their ALICE experiment, aimed at finding the so called "Higgs Boson" courtesy of the "Big Bang".

ALICE experiment website

CERN Twitter page

I don't know what your thoughts might be on this, but let's just keep an eye on that thing, because they seem to keep very low profile this time (not much advertising, as one can see).

Last year I talked to a guy who works there from the Russian side.
We had quite a discussion about the black hole concept and it's possibilities.
He denied all danger of 'imminent destruction' as totally preposterous claiming that 'even if black hole appeared, it would be so short-lived that it dissolves in a few femtoseconds.'

but then again, black holes are nothing but mathematical models, and no one knows for fact even that they really exist.
according to one of these models, a black hole doesn't have a size, but has only a singularity.
that means it doesn't matter how long it lives.
the moment it appears, it may (or may not) start absorbing matter and light.
The guy said that trillions of particle collisions happen in space every second.
BUT, according to relativist model, a black hole created within the planet's gravitational field might not disappear instantly, IF the Hawking's theory is not true.

Anyway, with all the high-brow math and science stuff they all also agree at some point that they DON'T KNOW exactly what might happen as result.
It's just that the 'discoverer's itch' is WAY too great to let the 'profane' people spoil all the fun with their 'puny unscientific whining and doomsday fears'.

I also recently read a scientist saying that collider might be 'stopping itself through time'. The funny thing is that from a scientific viewpoint this idea is too crazy to be totally dismissed as false. That means it may prove true.

There was somewhere on ATS a video posted, made by a girl who had visions concerning collider, where she said she saw it as some sort of gateway.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by mysteralex]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I remember it being successful in 2008 and they created a mini black hole. It was on the mainstream news then again it was mentioned as a side note so maybe it was misinformation but people sure talked about it.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I dont believe we should be meddlin with this stuff.. not at this stage in our evolution at least. Then again maybe its all meant to work out just like this =) or maybe it will just come n go! whatever it is, these r exciting times. =)

p.s. any idea when the collisions r due roughly? i gather they getting the particles up to speed in both directions at the moment, prior to impact when i dunno.

aLaN

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I believe our universe is about to be reborn. Every so often an intelligent species creates an LHC, which then creates a strangelet, which then results in a 'big crunch' which then results in a 'big bang' and it all starts over. Oh well was fun while it lasted.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
"intelligent"...

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Really, do they need to be opening up a door to the abyss????

I think this is a disgrace. So many disgraces so little time.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I personally hope this comes out of it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/575c07e069c2.jpg[/atsimg]

All joking aside I don't think anything bad will come of this I do hope they find the Higgs Boson particle they're looking for though. I'm all for advances in science and learning all we can about our world and the universe. Looking forward to the results.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by bigern]

[edit on 22-11-2009 by bigern]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
The girl I saw on the video here on ATS said that collider serves to open certain gates. And behind them - there are interested third parties. Waiting.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mysteralex
The girl I saw on the video here on ATS said that collider serves to open certain gates. And behind them - there are interested third parties. Waiting.

link?

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I remember it being successful in 2008 and they created a mini black hole.

Huh?

I think you may have misinterpreted that. If they created a black hole, that means they wouldve created a mass so heavy its collapsed in on itself. That also means the Earth wouldve pretty much imploded

Sorry but that is a ridiculous scenario

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by reasonable

darn, I can't seem to recall what was the title of that thread.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Really?

I thought that they weren't firing it up again until December.

Interesting.

I wonder if there will be another "accident" again that prevents them from completing the experiment. If so, maybe they really are being sabotaged from the future.

Thanks for the heads up!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I got dibbs on being the Gordan Freeman-type guy that saves the world after the aliens come through.

You guys can help out by building cool vehicles for me. I prefer chainsaws to crowbars, but whatever works.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
If and a big IF...The Collider did produce a black hole, what sort of things are we going to experience if it does all go wrong and the black hole does not dissapear in an instant ?
This is a very worrying experiment...

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Accelerators in Particle Physics

Might be interesting to head over and check out the list of particle accelerators up until now. The LHC is not new technology.

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Might be interesting to head over and check out the list of particle accelerators up until now. The LHC is not new technology.

I posted that link once, and got called a disinformation agent

Its not my fault that particle accelerators already exist, and have existed and operated for a long time

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider

Whats the difference between TEV and GEV.....seems the one at cern is using TEV....???

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by flylead
If and a big IF...The Collider did produce a black hole, what sort of things are we going to experience if it does all go wrong and the black hole does not dissapear in an instant ?

Well, technically, our planet would instantly disappear from this reality, and (maybe) reappear somewhere in another, which would be either a carbon copy of this one, or different. No one knows exactly, because the mathematical model of a black hole baffles all common sense and logic.

How about the fact that an object approaching a black hole appears to an observer as slowing down to a complete halt at the event horison, never entering it?

Here's a video simulation of what an observer would see while approaching a Schwarzschild model black hole.

Falling into Black hole: simulation video

Even more technically, each time your personal life presents you with a 'fork in a way' and you make a choice, you 'enter another reality where you've made that choice' which is in some sense the same as entering a black hole.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by mysteralex]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Apparently, a quantum black hole -- a microscopic singularity is possible. CERN isn't certain whether MBHs exist, however they seem to view the possibility as an event with potentially wonderous implications, and, thankfully, one with extremely low probability of any danger from it. Hopefully, if that were to happen, Hawking Radiation would evaporate it.

This would pretty much be a good time to be right. yon Cernites!

I think there's an infinitesimal possibility of creating an MBH that becomes self-sustaining, which would be bad, m'kay? Especially if it dropped into the core of the Earth. That said, I think our species has probably undergone riskier projects with less of a positive payoff. I think the creation of a strangelet particle run amok is an even lower probability. The RHIC has run for more than 8 years without any sign of strangelet particles.

Much larger energies being used with the LHC, of course. Apparently, we're also safe from Runaway Fusion Reactions. Good to know.

Onward hadron boffins!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join