It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Christian Ministry Investigated in Boy's Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
A faith-based center in Tennessee was raided by authorities today May 20, 2004. They were looking for evidence in the use of corporal punishment in the suspected death of an 8 year old boy.

ABCNEWS.com

The boy's parents believed that their 8 year old son was possessed with demons and then was severely beaten to death, so severely beaten that his brain swelled and his body was covered with bruises. It looks like a sick painful death.

Related ATS Discussion:
In The Name of God

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Banshee]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 07:29 PM
link   
UMG,
You're right there's a fringe element to everything. The fat is though, I'm hard pressed to call groups like this one Christian. They may have started that way, but there is nothing Christian about them today. I think "cult" is far more descriptive.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
UMG,
I think "cult" is far more descriptive.

Any name or title you want to give this is fine with me.. I am really worried about the world and all that we see in conflict, war and acts of terrorism.. But I am deeply hurt when I see things like this coming from within my own faith.. We are Christians... they are Muslims.. they are Jews.. on and on.. I have a hard time dealing with the fact that so many from all faiths are able to take the peacful faith that they are exposed to and twist it into a perversion, or evil in the name of a god.

The war on terrorism or is it a war on Islam?.. If anyone believes that Islam is the evil, or that Muslims are evil.. think again.. This only provides an exuse to label a faith as evil.. I do not believe that... and I do believe that faith is both good and evil.

It is how that evil is twisted even perverted that it can be seen as an evil as a whole.. where are those in the world screaming that Islam is the great evil.. why are they not seeing the barbarac acts commited by "christians" or any other faith?

When will the world wake up and see that this path we are on and the ultimate clash of evils within faiths will lead us to the war of wars?

Anyway I think I posted this in the wrong forum.. no one really cares that only one child was killed in the name of a god.. it takes a much higher body count to become "news worthy" these days.

Gazz

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I have always found it interesting that whenever some group does some horrific deed, and happens to call themselves ___________ (

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 07:55 AM
link   
My point is religious groups have the power to brainwash people to the point that they become blind and kill. Regarless off with religion it may be.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just because someone believes in the existance of Christ or professes Christ does not make them a Christian.

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Goddamned Religious Fanatics!:shk:

Here we have a little boy dead because of dumb stupid parents and religious fanaticism.

Sad Sad story.

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
It is true and I agree with you but remember the ones to blame is the people they trust and believe and for that the parents though they were doing the right thing.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Those bastards are as Christian as Hitler. Do they really believe that Christ wanted them to beat a child to death to get rid of 'demons'. From what I remember of the Bible, Christ said if anyone harms one of his little ones they will received severe punishment from God. This is fecking sick. If theres one thing I despise its people who hurt kids.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I found a web page that sheds light on the Ministry/church being raided and investigated in the case above, on this page you will learn a great deal about the church.. and within the page are many other links.. They actually encourage beating/spanking children to keep them under control and to learn to obey God.

The name of this church is: The Remnant Fellowship Church.. lot of info available through google.. the following I thought was a good read.

www.spiritwatch.org...

Also a link to the Church's web site:
www.remnantfellowship.org...

They claim to have a massive following.

One thing I left out of the original report is that this poor little boy between beatings was locked in a closet and forced to pray to a picture of Jesus.

Gazz

[Edited on 22-5-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 09:38 AM
link   

The Remnant Fellowship Church's Web site urges spanking to make children obedient

There is a huge difference between spanking and abuse, IMO. And I don't see the connection between the two.

This is a really sad story and so unfortunate to here. If only the adults involved in things like this would leave the children out of it. There are far too many young victims.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Thanks for the SpiritWatch link. Sure enough the Remant is a cult. Here's a couple of quotes from the link.

For us, that experience gave us a traumatic taste of what it is like to be recruited into a cult and to experience "cultic mind control." Through the course of our rescue by God and through our healing, we have been given a firsthand view of the difficult and painful process that one experiences when being recruited by a high demand religious group. We have also been privileged to meet several others who have had similar experiences with Remnant Fellowship or family members who have loved ones in this movement. You can access the whole story of our recruitment to and rescue from Remnant Fellowship at www.midwestoutreach.org.

And if that not enough, listen to the story of the begining of this "church"

Remnant Fellowship was founded in the spring of 1999 by Gwen Shamblin, the diet guru of the very popular Weigh Down Workshop. The Weigh Down Workshop is a diet program which employs Christian principles to help followers lose weight. The program has been offered in thousands of churches and homes across the nation, and internationally as well. The program and Gwen Shamblin received much positive press in the late nineties, and she became very well known in the evangelical community, especially amongst women who participated in the program.

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
this is so sad. I have heard stories from time-to-time (sorry, no links at the present) , or people doing great harm in the name of "Doing God's Will".

Jesus himself, loved children. He admonished his followers to be more like "children".

Stupid People shouldn't breed.

(this really does break my heart for the children who suffer)

I went to the links you provided. The churche's explaination of the "accidental" death of the child, makes it all the more sickening. Sometimes I think "Who needs a Satan? Mankind does a real good job all by themselves".

[Edited on 04-08-2004 by ladyspiritguide]

posted on May, 22 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by CommonSense
Thanks for the SpiritWatch link. Sure enough the Remant is a cult. Here's a couple of quotes from the link.

I would like to add this quote from that same web page:

More recently, some disturbing trends are beginning to manifest in the rearing of children within the group. The same standards of total obedience to authorities are applied to the youngest of children as well as adults. Children may be disciplined for the slightest of infractions, and are expected to demonstrate complete control over their emotions and their diets. Children are expected to sit through hours long worship services without any fidgeting or demonstrating inattentiveness. Needless to say, this could have long-term deleterious effects on a child's well being. Over the past year, Remnant Fellowship Nashville has begun hosting children's camps to which the parents of all Remnant Fellowship branches are encouraged to send their children. The goal of this camp is, among other things, to raise the level of discipline to which the children are accustomed and shape their behavior to be more in line with group norms.

Keep in mind, the above quote was written in sometime in 2002.

What a sad and sickening story.. In time I will update this report in some way here at ATS when the resuslts of this investigation are complete and charges if any are filed.

Exuse me for saying this but the woman who is the leader of this church is shown in a picture on the spiritWatch page looks like a wicked person.

Gazz

posted on May, 23 2004 @ 02:28 PM
link   

TextExuse me for saying this but the woman who is the leader of this church is shown in a picture on the spiritWatch page looks like a wicked person.

Maybe the child was some sort of sacrifice for the this church.

posted on Jun, 4 2004 @ 01:10 AM
link   
From The Tennessean (Nashville), 6/03/04:

Six months before an 8-year-old Georgia boy died of a blow to the head, he was the subject of a child-abuse report from a baby sitter at a Cool Springs [Tenn.] church.

However, the sitter with Remnant Fellowship Church provided too few details for child-welfare officials to investigate, said Carla Aaron, spokeswoman with the state Department of Children's Services.

Without names or a firsthand account of what happened, DCS officials were unable to investigate the complaint, Aaron said.

''When you piece everything together, it breaks your heart that a child eventually died of his injuries,'' she said. ''We just didn't have enough information to intervene.'' . . .

[Full article posted at www.tennessean.com... lement_ID=52207874]

new topics

top topics

join