It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Goodbye, nice knowing you!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

Intersting, now if you figure out what thread you meant to post that in, please let me know. I'd love to step in and take a gander.

Edit to add: Nevermind, I see the point you are trying to make. All apologies...

[edit on 21-11-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by heyo

What's the big deal?
Attack the collider, with a shoe? You go double o.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The hysteria concerning LHC is little more than neo-Luddite paranoia. The doomsday scenarios described (creation of a microscopic black hole, shifting space itself into a state incompatible with life, etc.) are wild speculations that people (including physicists) made up for "what if" games. What might happen if a microscopic black hole is created? What might happen if space is in a metastable state and LHC pushes it over the edge?

There is no evidence to suggest that space is in any metastable state. There isn't any evidence to show that LHC will produce the energies needed to create a black hole.

The odds of anything major happening are about as much as someone winning the lottery every day for twenty years. Without buying a ticket.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:29 PM
link   
"We are at full speed Professor" Right start the transfare and prepare to start the collisions, "those people who had doubts will be eating their hats in a few moments"

Just how long before we get an idea that the experiment is working?

The result should be instantaneous said the Professor as he lifted the protection cap above the red button, then he pressed hard.

The shock wave hit the control room almost at the same time as his finger lifted away from the console.

"What was that? it felt like a small earthquake.

Reports are coming in from all over, the machine is shutting down.

OMG that's impossible- LOOK

The professor looked at the computer screens, we got it wrong, not all the singularities destroyed themselves

What have we done?

Suddenly the control room became a delusion everything was changing going out of phase, "who are they" they look like people, look they have strange clothing and seem to be suffering the same effect as we are.

Professor look at the date on their control panel, it reads 2012, "what kind of date is that"

I don't know it appears very similar but strange, then NOTHING.

14.4 Billion years later, a voice is heard over the entire control room.

We are now at full speed, prepare for the transfare.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everything they are doing at the LHC is theoretical, nobody knows for certain what is going to happen, the odd of something going wrong are so incredibly low, they laugh when someone mentions something bad happening.

They are looking for something maybe we are not meant to see or know, it should be left that way, at least until we can fix our current World problems, this is the one experiment that should not be allowed to happen, because sometimes those long odds come home, while there is a billionth of 1% that something could happen, that is too much of a risk.

Those of you telling people to read some Physics, and get to understand Physics, why are you not there working on the project seeing how you know all about it? very often theories are laughed at, yet this time it's fine, how does that make any sense at all?

These people have no rights at all to play with the Universe, at least not until they understand it a little more, they should leave well enough alone.

The little supposed story at the start of this post, even though I am not a writer, or ever want to be, perhaps theoretically, that is what caused the Big Bang in the first place, problem is, when we discover it did, it's already too late.

A wise man once said, make sure you can get out of trouble, a lot faster than you got into it.

I don't see a possibility of that happening here, 100% they wont be able too.

If I'm wrong fine, Ill say it now though like the OP did, because I wont get a chance if TSHTF, it's been good.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by aristocrat2

According to Project Camelot's latest video, Dan Burisch told them current time travelers are coming here because they have problems later that stem from a catastrophe that takes place somewhere betweeen 2009 or a couple of years from now? So is this castastrophe because of the Collider? It better not.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

If that were true, I'd rather die, thank you very much. I don't care for a future where humans are still base enough to use animals as their slave/kamikaze/weapons....

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiron613
The hysteria concerning LHC is little more than neo-Luddite paranoia. The doomsday scenarios described (creation of a microscopic black hole, shifting space itself into a state incompatible with life, etc.) are wild speculations that people (including physicists) made up for "what if" games. What might happen if a microscopic black hole is created? What might happen if space is in a metastable state and LHC pushes it over the edge?

There is no evidence to suggest that space is in any metastable state. There isn't any evidence to show that LHC will produce the energies needed to create a black hole.

The odds of anything major happening are about as much as someone winning the lottery every day for twenty years. Without buying a ticket.

I think you missed aristocrat's point on 'odds'.

Any chance at all, in aristocrat's mind, is a bad one.

I have to say that I agree.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by aristocrat2
. Furthermore, if it is going to create strangelets, they we might not know about it until years later when we start seeing the first side effects, such as messed up weather from a change in the atmosphere, an increase in tectonic events, melting of polar ice caps from changes in the mantle... err, jey guys, doesn't that sound srt of familiar?

Yeah, it sounds like the familiar crap that conspiracy theorists with no knowledge about physics or basic 4th grade science start spinning on about, when they dont understand something.

What you doing on this site,you seem to smirk and giggle at others here.This is a conspiracy site after all,we dont come on lets say weather boards down under and talk badly at the posters!I know their are many topics on this site,but by large it is a conspiracy site

And as for you saying they have already turned it on,yes they indeed did but as it has been mentioned the experiment was never completed

Also when did science know anything about black holes!Didnt seem that long ago that it was a myth,now there even casualy talking about other realities and trying to open them

Perhaps Fringe is close to the mark,and there are many walters out there prepared to put the population of the world in harm for pathetic science kudos.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by OzWeatherman

Originally posted by freetree64
Check Twitter feed of breaking news, within 3 minutes of Collider being turned on there was a 5.6 earthquake off the west coast of Africa... coincendence??

No, its called tectonic activity

Earthquakes happen every few seconds of the day. Assuming that this earthquake happened because of the LHC is like saying that I created an earthquake by posting on this thread.

Common sense really

www.antara.co.id...

But you just did cause an earthquake because of this post . As you can see the premise is indeed non-sequitur.
But damn I hope I do not cause another one, just by talking about it

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
It's funny, actually. The people that say read up on physics. It's funny because one of the main reasons why the LHC was built is because the most brilliant minds in the world have come to a crossroads with what we currently know. They build the LHC to discover the Higgs. Without the Higgs, everything we know about physics is wrong and we have to start over.

Of course it is a little more complicated than that, but the point is how can scientist predict what will happen if they don't even know what is going to happen, all they have is a bunch of theoretical equations that they HOPE are correct.

As far as the LHC killing us all, I don't know and neither does anybody else, the only reassurance that nothing is going to happen is because a bunch of scientist say that nothing is going to happen. One of two things are going to happen when they finally juice up the LHC to full capacity which is they are going to find the Higgs and everything is great or they don't find the Higgs.

Meanwhile, with over $10 billion invested in the LHC and with the lid being blown off on the AWG stuff this past week, I'm not exactly too trusting of these scientist to comeback and report that we didn't find anything and everything we thought we know about physics is wrong.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You know what always gets me about big science projects like this is the usefullness of the outcomes. I mean, yeah, we should do wild and crazy stuff like this and explore the boundaries of our knowledge, but whatever happened to assuming something was right and trying to make things work based on that assumption? Seems these days noone wants to even try to invent based on a theory without big science saying that it will work first.

Oh, and for people who are wigging about the LHC killing us... Who Cares? If it kills us, then we'll all be dead... in fact it will likely be fast, nasty, and mostly painless. If not, then life goes on. What exactly are you afraid of?

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
In late 2012 the Collider sends us back to Egypt, building pyramids, like Groundhog Day.

Collider gone shatter. Run, scatter, scatter! Blood, sorrow and tears.

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by freetree64

Wow....you do realize that 5's hapen every day right? 5's in some locations are considered small.

The biggest fear I have is that the LHC will consistently fail and we will have wasted a boatload of money

I for one can't wait to see what happens

Besides particles have been smashed into each other...over and over and over...are we still here?

I think we are...and since I am here I am gonna go get a hard boiled egg :-p

Seriously though....go get quake watch for firefox...5's and 6's on the richter scale happen alot...over and over

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
...Did you know that we have used other colliders before? This one is the biggest I believe but to use a smaller one, wouldn't the same thing happen... Just on a smaller scale?...

No. There are particles that can only exist on their own in states of very high energy. The LHC is capable of higher energy collisions than any other collider before it, thus it can "see" separate and distinct particles of matter that haven't existed on their own since a few milliseconds after the big bang.

According to theory, the moments after the big bang was the most energetic time in the history of our universe, and there were fundamental particles that could exist on their own in that high energy state that cannot exist by themselves (or cannot exist at all) in the "normal" universe today (unless you have a supercollider such as the LHC).

Milliseconds after the Big Bang, matter was very different. Matter was separated into its fundamental particles -- there were not yet things such as protons and neutrons. Milliseconds after that, the particles began to form the matter that we are familiar with. In these first milliseconds of the life of the universe, even forces that are separate today (such as the gravitational force) were part of a larger unified force that included ALL of the forces. This unified force is believed to only exist in super-high energy.

The LHC is searching for those particles that existed freely right after the Big Bang by recreating the energetic state of the universe during those first milliseconds in the life of the universe. The more energetic the collision, the more types of particles will come "free". Smaller collisions can free up fewer types of fundamental particles.

So this collider is NOT the same as other colliders. More energetic collisions makes a huge difference.

[edit on 11/24/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by KyoZero
...The biggest fear I have is that the LHC will consistently fail and we will have wasted a boatload of money

I for one can't wait to see what happens

If they fail to find the Higgs Boson with the LHC, then it does not exist (because if it did exist, the LHC should be able to detect it) -- and that would be just as telling as if they DID confirm its existence.

Besides particles have been smashed into each other...over and over and over...are we still here?

As I said in my post above, we have never smashed particles with the energies that the LHC is capable of -- and higher energy makes a big difference (more types of particles will be created/seen -- types that can't exist in the universe without the high energies created by something like the LHC).

Again, as I said above, this collider is NOT the same as other colliders. More energetic collisions makes a huge difference in the partcles created (although I don't think the LHC will destroy the world, either).

[edit on 11/24/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Nov, 24 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Well I will restate as well that I am not afraid one iota

I can't wait to see it happen

I am just so sick of this doom constantly...how many times was the world supposed to end? thousands? tens of thousands? Each time the world was supposed to end had some reasonable reason it would end...how many times has it ended?

I really don't think Man will be the reason we dissapear

Anywho...not afraid

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
AAAAHHHHHH!
We're all going to DIE!!!

Oh wait. No matter WHAT happens, that one sentence is inevitable for all of us.

Why not enjoy the ride? If you have the time to worry about dying all time, when do you worry about living?

Getting sucked into a black hole couldn't be much worse than getting hit by a bus, or a bullet from the taliban, or the "aporkalypse" plague.

I must be a disinfo agent.

The theories of what could happen are exciting though. I can't wait to see the atom smasher "hulk smash" some atoms.

[edit on 25-11-2009 by Demoncreeper]

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RoyalCanadian
if an unstable black hole ever was made we would have alot LESS then 2 years sir you are terribly misinformed.

A black hole that the LHC is capable of making will be so minuscule that it will last only a fraction of a second…and mind you a very small fraction at that. This is as far as I have heard…

Correct me if I'm wrong? I'd like to know whether I was misinformed.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by godless
I don't really get the fear. The chances of that the one experiment that they're interested attempting actually generating a cataclysmic event are remote and have been calculated over and over and checked over and over. These people are not playing dice with our collective future. They know the risks. To me it is just another indication of how woefully under-educated the western world is in general science knowledge when a particle accelerator can become an object of controversy with so much other crap going down all around us. Maybe we should all try to focus on things that really matter.

please...most of us are NOT stupid, we are just not heard above the din of knuckle-dragging, slopped-headed, attention-attractive loudmouths.

posted on Dec, 3 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

so insulting back made it better?

Am I stupid for thinking the LHC won't kill us all?

-Kyo

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join