It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. electric carmaker Tesla preparing IPO-sources

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f7384cd5760a.jpg[/atsimg]

I can't afford one but I think it's great that somebody is building a sports model. Outside of the EV1 most electric vehicles appear about as exciting as watching paint dry. They are planning to build them in the US. California to be exact. One tiny bit of positive news in a field of economic nightmares.

Tesla motors

VENTURE FUNDS BACK GREEN CARS

The carmaker is developing a second, lower-cost model, an electric sedan known as the Model S, which will have a base price of $49,900.

Tesla said in September it delivered 700 Roadsters since February 2008. The Roadster, which is built on a Lotus frame, can go from zero to sixty miles an hour in less than four seconds, making it faster than a Porsche 911 or a Ferrari Spider.

The electric car start-up was offered $465 million in low-cost loans by the U.S. Department of Energy to help build the new Model S. Tesla said it will build the new car in California.

Tesla's investors include Google Inc (GOOG.O) founders Sergey Brin and Larry Page.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Nice looking car but not much use to me if I cant get the wife,kids and shopping in it.

Its gonna be nothing but a token electric car pushed out by the car makers as "ohhh look we made an electric car"

It will go no where until they actually start making car the everday people can afford and use

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Depsite how the above poster said it was impractical, because they cannot get the family into it, I believe it is step in a more positive direction. I've been watching this company for more than a year. I am hopeful that it will be a much needed breath into American industry. I hope they don't start having their products made in other countries like some other U.S. companies I won't mention.

Here is the company website:

www.teslamotors.com...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Exactly many innovations come out of the auto racing and sports car manufacturing.
It will be a blast to see them on the road silently flying by....

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Colorado has the worlds largest rebate on Tesla Roadsters, well worth looking into.

[edit on 21-11-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

I can't seem to follow your math. So far as I know, the car cost 110k. And in your article it says the 49k "tax write-off" is 35% of the total cost.

Edit for typos. Geez, I teach English?

[edit on 20-11-2009 by tamusan]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I'm all for seeing anything pass me on the road that is made in the U.S.A and people want to buy.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

[edit on 21-11-2009 by RussianScientists]

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

You removed everything, so I can no longer make my point. Then again, you removed everything, so maybe I did make my point.

I hope those tax rebates spur some sales for Tesla. I'd like to see them become a major player.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:50 AM
link   

I thought this would have gotten more responses.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   

I thought this would have gotten more responses.

Heavy is the head that wears the crown...

Looks like Downey landed the gig...

Once again the LBC takes second place...with another possibly on the way in Nor Cal. Good for the ailing economy here...

West side scored...

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
That's a mean looking electric!

I hope that they sell like hotcakes, and evolve into some SUV and Van style autos the whole family can enjoy.

Unfortunately for most of us here up north, we'd only be able to use it 7-8 months out of the year. I wouldn't be flying around in that 'lil thing in the snow and below freezing carnage.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   

Tesla will compete with established automakers like Ford, General Motors and Nissan Motor Co (7201.T), all of which are racing to launch electric or plug-in hybrid vehicles. Tesla, by contrast, is a small player with a high-end market and limited production

With a name like Tesla Motors it should easily compete with Ford, Nissan and Government Motors! Especially on the high end side!

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Funny you brought this up now...
Just yesterday the wife and I saw our first Tesla, black with the top up.

we made a left turn in our minivan and as we made out turn stopped at the light was that Tesla and a motorcycle, the motorcyclist was revving his engine. Knowing what was coming I got all the way on the right and sure enough they blew past me like I was standing still. That motorcycle howled as it passed, but that Tesla just whooshed (No engine sound just it cutting through the air) as went by. I still wasn't sure it was the Tesla until we caught up to them at the next light, there on the back was the word Tesla.

It's a small car reminds me of the Lotus Elise... It was impressive a production car could keep up with a motorcycle but if I had the 100 grand they want for a Tesla it wouldn't be on my list of dream cars...

My tastes in small fast cars runs in a different direction
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/859f5d0e1a6f.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 27-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I was kinda surprise that they chose California as a place to manufacture the car.

But then with the Hollywood/ California image and this being a sports car, I can see why they would choose Cali.

Car looks hot, wouldn't mind one for myself.

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Can't afford a Tesla? Build your own EV for about $7000!
Photo-album with >400 EVs
Building a 72V electric motorcycle
EVparts has kits, and components pre-fabbed, for those of you who don't want to dig around in an old forklift...

posted on Nov, 27 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
When they have a Tesla designed power plant instead of
batteries, I'll invest.

Tesla's technology has been locked away since 1943.

In fact Tesla powered his remote controlled boat with wireless
power. No engine inside for power.

Lets see the anti Tesla agents change that patent.
Calling that car Tesla is another disservice to the man to be
ignored for almost a century because the elite want the knowledge
all to themselves.

top topics

join