It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

49 mill. Americans don´t have enough to eat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Luxembourg´s (EU) biggest newspaper LUXEMBURGER WORT says on Nov. 11 that the
US government (minister of agriculture Tom Vilsack) issued statistics about a rising
demand for free food help, mostly in the South and West of the US.

In 2008 more than 17 million children or 22.5% lived in households, where there
wasn´t enough food, 4 million more than in 2007.

Congress raised the maximum food rationing per person to now 133 $/month.

Poor Americans first try to fill their budget gaps by eating in charity food centres
like LOAVES & FISHES or by cashing in of government-allocated food ration cards
in supermarkets rather than taking the money for food off the rent or their mortgage
payments to at least secure a roof over their heads.

Obama said (from China) that he wants to reverse the trend of rising hunger.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Udo Hohnekamp Lux.

My question is: Why do countries let their own people suffer, while they are busy spending billions on warfare and space exploration?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Maybe the 40% of Americans that are clinically obese can start donating their food to these 49 million hungry - to balance the scales, so to speak.

Edit: This is posted in Ancient and Lost Civilisations? This just made me laugh out loud .. unintentional I'm sure.

[edit on 20/11/2009 by deltaalphanovember]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I am at odds with this. I mean, on the one hand I know some people do have this problem, I know some of them, but on the other hand we as a country have an obesity problem, how does that happen? I think maybe something is off with this statistic?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

I don't know the percentages, but I do know that a lot of the poorest people are the most obese - why?

Here in NZ, we are getting more and more obese people, as you are, but countries like Japan and maybe China don't seem to have that problem. They eat a lot of fish and fresh vegetables.

The fatties eat a lot of pies (cheap).

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

See, I don't buy into that train of thought though, here I beleive it's cheaper to eat right...for example, you know how for birthdays you get junk food for the party, well, I spent a week's worth of money just for two birthday parties recently, now if I buy fresh veggies and fish and meat, I can get the same amount of food or more for half the price. Honestly. I don't know the specifics about the statistics either on how many people are obese but it's somewhere around the same amount as they say are starving... I am guessing half the country exactly is obese while half the country is starving? I don't know how they did their statistics, but if they're looking at what's in the cupboard it shouldn't be any indication as lots of wealthy people never keep food in the house, they order out or go out to eat and that could cause the obesity as well. I know some poor people who do this as well, they just don't cook. I'm sure a lot of homeless didn't even get included in this study, either. So it may be even higher, I don't know. I always question statistics anyway, how accurate could they actually be?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by spellbound

My question is: Why do countries let their own people suffer, while they are busy spending billions on warfare and space exploration?

49Million?

My question is why do I see people sacrificing food for cell phones, designer clothing and other material things? There's absolutely no reason for that many people to go hungry unless it's the individuals making that decision. I'm sure there is a handout on it's way for them though. Which is good, then they can all upgrade to those new Droid cell phones.

I'm pretty sure if people would take responsibility for themselves and prioritize what is truly important in life, that number would be a fraction of what is being reported.

Then of coarse there's the people that play the system. You know, don't get married for the mother benefits off of being low income, has multiple kids, etc, etc.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
Maybe the 40% of Americans that are clinically obese can start donating their food to these 49 million hungry - to balance the scales, so to speak.

You took the words out of my mouth... lol!

All this coming from the 'Super Size Me' capitol of the world! Not likely!

IRM

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It´s the second time I am submitting a thread that appears under
"Ancient civilization, myths, and legends", although I did not choose the
title.

I have been looking around on the "submit" page, but have not found a
place where to define the category.

Finally I thought, well, the moderators would be reading it first and then
be assigning the proper heading.

If that is not so, would some member be so kind to give me a hint.

Obesity may or may not be connected to lack of budget for food. The 17.5%
(New York Times ?) of unemployed likewise. I don´t know how much dole a person gets.

36 million Americans are getting ration cards. Some department in the government must use tables of income by which people qualify for the
subsidy.

If those tables allow for junk food, needs to be investigated. Obesity through
junk food will have now and in the future a backlash on your health care
system.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I appreciate your posts from other countries. There is a common misconception about America right there.

Yes, obesity is a major problem in certain parts of the country, mainly the south. But the epidemic is not as far spread as some of you make it out to be. I have seen the documentary Super Size me and do agree that there is evidence that fast food is a major part of that epidemic.

Now, probably just like any country there are different demographics. Like for example lower income people are more likely to go off to war. Lower income people are more likely to gain welfare.

This epidemic I think is a major problem with welfare seekers and low incomes alike.

That said. The cost of living here in America has risen dramatically since 9/11. We are getting taxed for everything. It's a joke. I don't know any american under the age of 50 that believes they will ever see any of the social security money in their lifetime. But that and every other tax you could possibly think of is deducted from our paychecks automatically.

The legal system here is a joke. It has been hijacked by lobbyists and special interest groups into a system of double standards. It is a fascist dictatorship.

We have lost millions and millions of jobs. Most have gone to India, many to China, but there is quite simply way more people in america today then there are jobs.

Now, because of this rise of foreclosures, cost of living and taxes. Many of us that were working and had a false sense of security are now not able to pay bills because of no employment. People really are starving here, it is not the obese, it is people that have worked hard their entire lives and have lost everything, including their homes.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by 12.21.12]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   

In 2008 more than 17 million children or 22.5% lived in households, where there
wasn´t enough food, 4 million more than in 2007.

Congress raised the maximum food rationing per person to now 133 $/month.

When I lost my job, I went to the state and tried to get help to pay my rent and was denied because I owe back child support and I do not have full custody of my child.

new topics

top topics

join