It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A New Disturbing Star Anomoly We Can Worry About

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Star Goes Rogue in Untimely Collision
By Ray Villard | Wed Nov 18, 2009 02:06 AM ET

It's a solid doomsday prediction that in about 5 billion years the dying sun will expand as a bloated red giant and engulf the Earth.

But imagine if in just a few weeks the middle-aged sun suddenly ballooned out to the orbit of Saturn and immediately vaporized Earth and most of the other planets in the solar system! And, even before this happened, imagine that every morning you awoke the sun was ever more sweltering until it began evaporating the oceans, spontaneously starting forests ablaze, and melting asphalt!

This sounds like the stuff of a far-out science fiction movie. But astronomers think that they actually witnessed such an even in 2002. A sun-like star on the edge of our galaxy abruptly grew 600,000 times brighter in a few weeks and ballooned 1,000 times its diameter.

Read the whole article here: news.discovery.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Sun-like? Hardly.

V838 Monocerotis (the remant star) is 5 to 10 times as massive as the Sun. The progenitor was probably a supergiant 65 times as massive as the Sun. The system of which it is a part could be as young as 4 million years.

There are a few different theories about what caused the outburst but none of them apply to anything that might happen to the Sun. I won't be losing any sleep over this one.
www.absoluteastronomy.com...

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Sun-like? Hardly.

V838 Monocerotis (the remant star) is 5 to 10 times as massive as the Sun. The progenitor was probably a supergiant 65 times as massive as the Sun. The system of which it is a part could be as young as 4 million years.

There are a few different theories about what caused the outburst but none of them apply to anything that might happen to the Sun. I won't be losing any sleep over this one.
www.absoluteastronomy.com...

Way to bring things back into perspective as always Phage!

IRM

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
So no burps coming from our sun? Whew! Thank goodness.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by 12GaugePermissionSlip
So no burps coming from our sun?

... Just the odd fart!

IRM

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Well, it's a star. The sun is also a star. That makes it sun-like. Don't you see?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

The way things have been lately, a little activity would be welcome. Daddy Sol has been taking quite a nap.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Christians say the World will be destroyed in fire... But i say, Bull

Our sun, in comparison to other old stars, is in my opinion very young and very stable. I wouldnt worry my fuzzy little head over it too much. Id worry more about NASA being so stupid as to bomb the moon (which will have disastrous consiquenses) and then making up a crap story that theyre doing it to find water.
Bombing the moon = deadly weather on Earth. The Moon is resposible for the push and pull of the tides, due to the Moon's magnetic feilds (Or something like that, my memory is terrible) so maybe THAT would also explain the weird bird behavior (sinc they rely of the Earth's Magnetic-poles for direction and the Moon's megnetism effecting the tides etc... its all connected in one way or other.) But to Bomb the moon and say it for the searc for water? They dont deserve to call themselve's scientists. Who knows, maybe they found oil on the moon and their bombing it like Bush did to other countries

OR, maybe they know something else, like Moon men declaring war against us? To me it makes more sense, because if you want to search for water, you dont BOMB for it, you dig for it. And about the sun EXPLODING. Well, there would have to be something to CAUSE that. And i'm not worried about the sun exploding, eventhough i have a bad day once in a while and actually WISH that it WOULD explode, i just dont see that happening anytime soon, or ever for that matter..

Mod Note: Please stay on Topic – Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Nov 23 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Good grief Phage you are an enigma man when it comes to all there is to know about the heavens. Come clean... are you as clued up as it appears or do you have an amazing ability to gather and correlate info acquired from the net.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tyxquarra Xxxendra HoTTch
Id worry more about NASA being so stupid as to bomb the moon (which will have disastrous consiquenses) and then making up a crap story that theyre doing it to find water.

NASA "bombed" the moon with much larger, more powerful impactors throughout the Apollo program in the late 60s and early 70s. There were no disastrous consequences.

Bombing the moon = deadly weather on Earth. The Moon is resposible for the push and pull of the tides, due to the Moon's magnetic feilds (Or something like that, my memory is terrible) so maybe THAT would also explain the weird bird behavior (sinc they rely of the Earth's Magnetic-poles for direction and the Moon's megnetism effecting the tides etc... its all connected in one way or other.)

The moon's gravity causes the tidal force, but the impactors we've thrown at it are an imperceptable fraction of the moon's orbital and rotational momentum. It's a fly hitting a semi-truck on the interstate.

posted on Nov, 23 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by 12GaugePermissionSlip

how do they know that, that certain star wasn't at that stage of its life-cycle?

top topics

join