It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mad science? Growing meat without animals

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
When I first saw this, I thought about how it would eliminate so much animal suffering. That would be a good thing, considering how horribly we treat our food animals. At least with cloned meat you're just growing muscle tissue without any sort of brain to feel anything.

But much as I like this idea, I can't say I'd actually eat that cloned meat. There's something disturbing about it. It feels unnatural (I guess it is) and *wrong* somehow. If this is going to take off, I think it would have to be mostly for the next generation, people who grew up with the cloned meat option.

I can only imagine what the religious right would have to say about cloned meat.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I dont give a dam what the religious ppl have to say about it, they always have something to say about everything and none of it ever makes sense.

On the topic, I find it very intresting and can't wait to taste the human cloned meat. But would we have a choice if it's a man or woman's cloned meat?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by DaRAGE

We are lacking alot of information about the process for me to change my mind. They take some natural cells and culture them. If it was as straightforward and simple as this, I would agree that it is not gm. The cells themselves shouldn't have been modified. The problem for me is that the cells need nutrients to grow and multiply. How and what is delivered to the cells? Is it going to be synthetic? Then, if the cells are using a synthetic agent to subside on, the cells are no longer unaltered in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Reminds me of the book Oryx and Crake by Margarette Attwood.

mmmmm ill have me some chickie knobs.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Hi, Can I ask would you know if there would be a choice of cloned male / female meat? Color? Size? Parts?

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by tamusan

Hi, Can I ask would you know if there would be a choice of cloned male / female meat? Color? Size? Parts?

You are wayyy too interested, it creeps me out.

Well, I wouldn't eat cloned meat myself, I've lived without regular meat for 6 years or so. I wouldn't need it.

I would mention health factors involved with cloned meat, but people eat regular meat so they don't seem to care about the health factor very much.

Eating your own species does some serious things to the brain I believe.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I do not think I could ever eat human meat unless it was life or death, but yes, please serve me some baby seal, siberian tiger, or bald eagle. I am getting sick of limited options!

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hmm, I'll start investing in Paris Hilton's genes.

two lines

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
reply to post by tamusan

I love meat. I would eat meat from just about any animal, no matter how it was made. That would be kind of fun to have a tasty bite of BBQ human if it didn't involve killing anybody. It would be a novelty like eating bugered flavored candy.

I SAY IN RESPONSE:

And for those of you who are eagerly awaiting for the day
when the SHTF...may I suggest you make yourselves familiar
with the locations of your local Weight Watcher's Clinic
and local Gold's Gym.

When that sad day arrives, for those of you who prefer lean beef,
starting taking your pick of the grunts at Gold's Gym and for those
of you who prefer a more marbled and fatty cut of meat,
the local Weight Watchers clinic should suffice to find
an ample supply of well-fed people-cattle.

While containing horrendous quantities of chemicals
and GMO'ed organisms, modern man & woman is the
NEW Soylent Green!

Now, do you wanna Cookbook with that?

I suggest the one called:

"To Serve Man" by the Kanamits

:-) ;-)

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Zomar

Originally posted by December_Rain
reply to post by tamusan

You are wayyy too interested, it creeps me out.

Well, I wouldn't eat cloned meat myself, I've lived without regular meat for 6 years or so. I wouldn't need it.

I would mention health factors involved with cloned meat, but people eat regular meat so they don't seem to care about the health factor very much.

Eating your own species does some serious things to the brain I believe.

Oh well I am genuinly intrested no matter how creepy it sounds. I've heard it effects the brain if you go for natural, but the cloned would be safe I presume and would only be marketed after taking all health risks into considerations.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I fully endorse and want this technology to mature like yesterday or something.

you wouldn't be able to tell the difference once the process is perfected because there would be none.

we need this for space travel as I'll be damned if I will eat celery soup on the way to the next star system.

and let's face it the only way we will survive is to get off this rock.
the odds are SOMETHING will get us if we don't.
maybe a big rock from the sky,maybe vampiritic hypnotoads,maybe the next food additive or vaccine.
maybe even a harmless politician...

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
We are in this world to maximize pleasure and minimize pain for all life forms; in my view, beings without a nervous system cannot feel pain (or pleasure) as humans understand it, and so I would love to see laboratory-grown cloned meat for those humans (and carnivorous animals) who cannot seem to function without it. So much animal suffering could be avoided, as well as the enormous environmental degradation that goes with factory farming.

Currently, it is sometimes said that heart attacks are God's revenge for killing and eating His creatures. It is likely that cloned meat consumed in the usual American proportions would still be unhealthy for people. Oh well, what can I say if people want to harm their health? I'm not perfect, I smoke.

Would I try human cloned meat? In small quantities, on a dare on a reality television show, perhaps. I see no moral objection to it, just it's not my thing.

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Everyone could have a pet zombie!

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Sounds scrumptious!
Would be helpful for taking men to Mars.
Grow some rump and fry it up for the lads.

[edit on 22-11-2009 by IrnBruFiend]

posted on Nov, 22 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
This is well intended, but may not be the best idea to make artificial meat. The human race has been eating live meats since existence, so who knows if there could possibly be any side effects.

One one hand, Caged animals used only for food is a terrible thing to do; on the other hand , we slaughter less animals for possible heath defects.. You decide.

Not only that, but this could lead to being able to grow missing arms, legs, and fingers for our veterans that have been blown off in the battlefield.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join