It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hot Hot Hot (V-22 melting decks)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:37 AM
link   
For the F-35 BAE has developed a technique called 'Rolling Vertical Landing' or RVL, this basically means that the aircraft is moving slightly forwards during VL so that the heat is not blasted at the same spot on the deck continuously and also avoids reingestion of hot gases back into the engine. This was developed and proven on the VAAC Harrier at the behest of the RN and has since been adopted as standard for the whole F-35 programme.

Would this be useful or practical with the V-22 as well? Of course if we are talking about the take off phase it does not apply as neither the Harrier nor the F-35 take off vertically and so the problem does not exist.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Waynos,

Nice info and thank you. I have been away for a bit but this has been in the back of my mind and I knew there had to be a program in use or very nearly already. Now, we just need to get this little gem airborne and the production lines going, some exportation, and then our U.S. economy on the upswing somehow again.....all of this SOON!!!

Peace,

Mondo

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by waynos

brilliant job sir

for the `lay man` - what waynos is talking about is a helo style approach - fly in really slowly , at 50 knots of so , then at the last moment land and use brakes to stop - look ma no hook.

means bring back can be alot more.

totally forgot about it - the RN have been using it for years.

posted on Nov, 21 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Hmmm... I wonder what you could build into the deck then? - I saw the previous suggestion of ceramic... But something got me thinking of a new type of coffee mug of all things!

it's actually made of a type of encapsulated wax... It's made to keep the coffee at the perfect temperature for the maximum time - it works because the wax's melting temperature is lower than that of the coffee as you pour it in - so that melting takes the heat energy out of the coffee - but does not transfer it through the mug to burn your hand or get lost to the atmosphere... As the coffee drops in temperature the heat energy is returned to the drink from the wax (which has of course acted like a heat sink).... The exact same principle could keep a fluid chilled of course - but you would need a different material for the heat sink...

Now ramp up the principle to take the heat of a jet blast?? - Also you could recover that heat energy maybe in the form of electricity via a thermal coupler (yes I know they arn't exactly short of juice on a nuke powered carrier).

Just an idea... Ceramic may be too brittle for repeated heavy use...

Of course they could just weave a mat to cover the deck using Chuck Norris's chest hair - but the US Navy is not brave enough to ask him...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I think that the tiles that are found on the Shuttle would do the trick. No modifications to the ship, either. Easy to replace if broken, etc...

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HatTrick

Those very tiles that fell apart when a chunk of foam hit them?

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
instead of those space shuttle tiles, they could use

TUFI

or

TUFROC

but its bound to hike up the costs.

posted on Nov, 25 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
When aircraft carriers first flew jets the decks were wood and they had problems.. The decks would catch fire.

Its not the steel of the deck that is the problem but the non skid coating and they have had a problem for many years with finding a coating that will work under all conditions that may be found on carrier flight decks.
www.navyleague.org...

This is the latest coating they are using.
www.tri-austin.com...

[edit on 25-11-2009 by ANNED]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join