It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Survival Compass

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I am by no means a Compass expert but I have been trained in their use... Personally I use a Silva model 4 (no longer made) and I like it just fine... easy to use with scales for almost all types of map use... I know they make a lot of other very fine compasses with more bells and whistles... maybe the members with more experience would like to add their favorites and why....
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c8e3c09b8466.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 18-11-2009 by DaddyBare]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The Silva Ranger sighting compass does just about anything you could ever want in a survival situation, and like the model 4, it takes up no space.

But a less expensive alternative would be the Suunto M3g.

You can still find the older silvas in specialty stores and Military surplus stores.

Star and Flag, I love talking about gear.

CX

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Wow i didn't realise that they weren't made any more.

I have that model. to be honest it's the only one i've repeatedly bought when i've needed a new one. (I'm clumsy and i break things
)

Difficult to say whether it's a good "survival" compass, it's breakable so i would guess there is better out there.

I'd say any compass is only as good as your navigation skills, whilst i love this compass, it would be no god to someone who has not trained to use one.

CX.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I'v had my ..yes plastic...lensatic engineer one for 15 years or so, never had a prob with it, Priced right too, I paid $5 back then now its about $8-10

I have used it to make, my own maps of my selected area.
Later I compared these maps with the real ones, and although I missed a lot, I was suprised at the accuracey of the scaled maps I made.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:21 PM
link   
For those of you not familiar with compasses two mentions here... the lensatic engineer and the Silva Ranger both have flip up covers and the cover is used to shoot a bearing... The Lensatic also has a small magnifying glass was as you shoot your bering you can read the numbers on the compass...For precision work they are great compasses but a little bulky... as mentioned I like the type 4 as it was cheap under $20 very light and with the lanyard easy to carry... I can still shoot a bearing BTW... Still I think it easier for a novice to learn with a sighting compass

So you know there are three types of Compass the Base Plate like my model 4...
A Sighting Compass Like the Ranger and Engineer
then lastly what's known as a Global Compass this type of Compass is meant to be used anywhere on both sides of the equator and cost a good deal more

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I first learned how to read and use a lensatic compass and eventually started using a Silva trekker for backpacking. When sailing I find a hand bearing compass to be quite handy as well and it could be right at home on land as well if it is all you had. us.binnacle.com...

Here is an interesting sight regarding the multitude of uses for a lensatic compass. lensaticcompass.blogspot.com...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Before anyone asks the official USMC Compass is made by Cammenga One word of warning the Official model comes with with a tritium light source. (Glow in the Dark) you had to be careful opening the cover of this compass at night... while not very bright the light can been seen up to half a mile, if you know what to look for... Hold that up to your eye in a combat zone to shoot a bearing and your likely to have a sniper shoot you in your green glowing face
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/966fab0b1073.gif[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBarel model comes with with a tritium light source. (Glow in the Dark)

The Silva Ranger 515 has a tritium light source but I would question it's ability to light up your face, or even the distance that it would be visible from. Besides that it is a great compass

posted on Nov, 20 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Smokeing_Gun

I believe its due to it being fibre optic and a directional lighting source.
No its not very bright , but if pointed directly at you and you are familiar with what it is, I think it is not unheard of to be able to, indentify it.

I have had my father see me in the woods/field from 1/2 mile away just because he knew what to look for, my glow in the dark fibre optic sight, on the front of my gun/s...it actually scared me that he found me so easily!

But I personally have never used that feature in the dark, so I can only speculate...I have seen it, held one, looked it over, and see where it could.

[edit on 20-11-2009 by Doc Holiday]

top topics

join