It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Panama Canal Causing global warming?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:21 AM
link   
It may not sound plausible, but is it possible that the construction of the panama canal and the linkage between two major bodies of water with different temperatures might have some impact on climate?

The earth's climate has been changing for the past 50-100 years.

The Panama Canal was opened in 1914 about 95 years ago.

Before the canal there was no connection between the Atlantic to the Pacific.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by raj9721

There was a connection, it was just a lot further south.
The amount of water flowing through the Canal is very little, I doubt it would have much effect, but who knows.

Interesting thought but I don't think it would cause global warming or climate change of any kind.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

The amount of water flowing through the Canal is very little, I doubt it would have much effect, but who knows.

NO water flows "through" the panama canal.
geography.howstuffworks.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

Fresh water from the lakes at the top of the canal is used to operate the canal.
No salt water is used.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Yes, I have to agree. Condescension is very unbecoming though.

OP, the levels of the Atlantic and the Pacific are highly different at the Panama Canal. The amount of locks is very significant. To get through the canal the ships need to pass through numerous of these locks.

The actual amount of transfer of water from/to either ocean-Gulf is minimal.

Look at the flow of water around the southern tip of South America. Now that is turbulent area of water flow.

Hey, if anyone sees this quetion, give me a buzz on U2U.

If the circulation of the oceans that we have now is soooo important, what happened throughout the millenia when the continents have moved? Or do you believe the continental plate migrations did not happen, or is their something I am missing?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I'm going to strengthen some points with this.

In order to understand how the canal works without going through all the technical stuff, why don't we just take a trip through the canal?

Time Lapse of Course....
Edit:

Here is a link because my embed doesn't seem to be working.

Youtube Link

[edit on 18-11-2009 by DaMod]

[edit on 18-11-2009 by DaMod]

posted on Dec, 14 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Where are we trying to go with this? The lakes of fresh water that feed the canal are like the spring of ideas presented in Roosevelts "New Deal" warming the economy out of the depression?
A man, a plan ............?

top topics

join