It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40% of U.S. May Be Obese by 2018

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   

40% of U.S. May Be Obese by 2018

www.cbsnews.com

(CBS) If current obesity trends continue, more than 40 percent of adults in the United states will be obese and spending on the epidemic will quadruple to $344 billion by 2018, according to a new study released Tuesday.

The study, sponsored by the United Health Foundation, Partnership for Prevention, and American Public Health Association in conjunction with their annual America's Health Rankings, notes that the states most in danger of a ballooning obesity epidemic are: Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Ohio, Oklahoma and South Dakota.

Only one state - Colorado - will have an obesity
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
America's economic pain brings hunger pangs

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
America is not staving, it is malnourished!

This is my first Thread, I'm making it my first because of the seriousness of the dis-information propogated by the MSM. Let me know how I did,please!

Earlier on ATS I responded to this Thread.
"America's economic pain brings hunger pangs"article by the washington post.

notice in snippet that the "hunger" article is based on a study by "a new federal report", by "the U.S. Dept of Agriculture".

"President Obama says it's 'unsettling', Food bank/soup kitchen managers who get money from the govt., are all "concerned" about us starving, (you think it's more like they are concerned about their own paychecks that they get from working/running these Org's).

And they say that Americans "ran short of 'nutritious food', ya think that means plenty of un-nutritious food was availible?

And Surprise Surprise Surprise, Congress 'is' or 'will be' providing $85 million dollars (to increase food stamp distribution) of your tax money to feed you with!

How much of that money will be going to overhead/processing/distribution, instead of just letting us keep more of our paychecks so we can buy our own food!

Finally, notice that these "findings" (is that mean scientific or just lookin' at the numbas'?) are a "snapshot" (another scientific term?) from Census Bureau "Surveys" (more science?)

The study in this thread is from non-govt. agencies, as far as I was able to find out about them in a few clicks.

Discuss/Run for Life/Hide in plain site, they never look for you there!

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Keymaster1

I thought 40% of the U.S. was already considered obese? Who makes these calculations and why are they looking at something 8 years down the road when weight is something that can flucuate wildly. Also aren't there supposedly upcoming food shortages if the population continues to increase?

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Pretty sad - kinda funny. Put down your car keys and McDonald's Big Mac™ already. If we were all ninjas this revolution would have happened 10 years ago.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I heard about this on my way home from work.

Is ObamaCare prepared to handle an obese nation?
Will there be government regulaton of McDonalds?

It's difficult to convince the rest of the world that poverty exists in the US when our so called poor are all overweight.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

There's no need to convince the rest of the world that poverty exists here as poverty exists in every nation. In many ways the poerty in this nation has contributed to the obesity. If people can buy double cheeseburgs for $1 poor people can also be fat.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   

That's cool because I think odds are greater that 40%+ of Americans will be dead by 2018 for one reason or another.

This feces is mounting and the fan was just turned on...

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I smell a conspiracy.

First the 40% aren't going to go hungry, they will eventually overwhelm the fastfood market, to where shortages occur.

The 60% of americans will be unable to eat definitely by then, bringing hunger to a maximum level for the general population.

The solution will fit in just fine with depopulation, because the morbidly obese 40% will begin to eat the 60% of americans, thusly dropping the population quickly.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Awesome news! We have Americans getting in shape then!

ohh wait... you mean we don't already have over 40% obesity?

I won't argue that America is full of fat slobs but the way we define obesity is pretty far off in my opinion. I'm 6'3 and 225 and if you look at just my bmi then I'm obese or borderline. Then of course you look at body fat % and all that other junk and the I'm healthy or above average.

Point is that numbers are just numbers and they can get thrown around in what ever way people want to tell their story better.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by whoshotJR]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
How do fat people afford lots of food with these economic times? I know some people that started losing weight just because food was getting expensive, but eventually nothing motivates a fat man to work hard like keeping food on the table,literally.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   

S & F'd! You're doing well, Keymaster. And you are learning the buttons.

I actually read the whole article and the research report.

I noted that the southern states have more obese people. I assumed that the poor tend to be more obese and there are more poor in the South??

Nevertheless, there is good solid principle of economics at work with the poor. The poor see food as one of the best uses of their money! Until today they never knew when they would be able to find food and eat next so food is always a good investment to the poor!

Livestyle is also a huge contribution to obesity. If you never walk anywhere, you drive! Or spend all day in front of the TV, or computer, or texting or on the cellphone, it is hard to burn calories!

If all your friends are obese and think being obese is cool, you will probably be obese also.

If you aren't aware that most middle age and old age maladies are related to obesity, that doesn't help either.

Have you ever seen an obesity drug advertised on TV? There are actually many effective and relatively save drugs available from your doctor that are on average a lot better for your health than being obese. They must be politically incorrect or something! You never hear about them!

Or why doesn't Obama spend a little bit of his hours and hours in front of the American people talking about the benifits of healthy living instead of selling his out of control, expensive Obamacare?

Something that would help rather that damage the nation and the people!

[edit on 18/11/09 by plumranch]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
we are having a similar problem here in the UK and with reference to the poster regarding Obama care. The NHS is very concerned about the growing obesity. its not just health implications, but buying in larger beds and other facilities to accommodate these larger patients.

I had to have steroid treatment for my illness and put on 5 stone in the process. I was massive. it made me realise how difficult it was to just move around being that fat. everything was an effort, from tying shoe laces to walking up the stairs.Pleased to say im back to my healthy weight and life is so much easier, but my experience as a porker was pretty grim and would hate to live my life as one.

[edit on 18-11-2009 by woodwardjnr]

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stop-loss!
How do fat people afford lots of food with these economic times? I know some people that started losing weight just because food was getting expensive, but eventually nothing motivates a fat man to work hard like keeping food on the table,literally.

$1 double cheeseburgers

Obese and malnourished, just what the elite want.

Just remember you all vote with your purchases, stop supporting fast food, stop supporting processed foods. As long as there is a market for this crap it will never go away

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Yep, overweight/obese and malnourished is the average American. I'm 150lbs and 6ft. A healthy weight. I get told at least a dozen times a year to eat more, as I look too thin. It's not that I'm too thin, it's that most people are overweight.

It would be nice if people had a little more self-discipline and learned what is best for them to consume. I'm disgusted by the average eater here. If only they knew what they do to their selves, and how this has repercussions which could tear the country to shreds. It's your body, you have the right to fill it with whatever you want, but don't for a second think your decisions don't effect other people. That's foolishness.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Haha I doubt it...

By 2010 the inflation will be so high, people won't be able to afford McDonalds.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
I have never been to america, so i cannot say whether you people are fat on a whole. I saw a stat last year, that aussies where the fattest on earth, they must be something, if there fatter on whole than americans.

All i know about americans, is they goto sports and just eat and sit there. Nice day out and just eat.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My eyes must lie to me..

I never ever spend a dime @ wally world, I do go there for intertainment, and exercise, and if %40 is the real # I must get my eyes checked, for there are @ least%60-70 of the shoppers that are ....porkly, with baskets full of cola, snacky cakes and 20-30 boxs of frozen lein quisine sp?, stuff.

I actually thought it was higher than 40% already?

Off to do some diggin....

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Just as a side bar, I was told about a three step "diet" about thirty years ago, it goes like this.

1. Eat Less (than you do now, and eat as little processed food as possible because during processing it loses MOST of the actual vit., min., nutritional value, which is why they have to spray vit., min., additives onto finished product in final stage to pass FDA guidelines to qualify as "FOOD").

2. Drink More Water (than you are now, to process fat out of system)

3. Move Around More (than you do now).

BTW I have NEVER even been close to being overweight, just thought I would add this for good measure.

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

I saw a stat last year, that aussies where the fattest on earth, they must be something, if there fatter on whole than americans.
Australians more obese than Americans, study finds

Australia has a higher proportion of obese people than the United States, with the health system facing a "fat bomb" unless action is taken, a study warned Thursday. The report from the Baker Heart Institute found that 70 percent of men and 60 percent of women aged 45-65 had a body mass index of 25 or more, meaning they were overweight or obese. Titled "Australia's Future Fat Bomb," the study compiled the results of height and weight checks carried out on 14,000 adult Australians in 2005.

You Aussies have an incredible 60-70% overweight index. I'm from Alaska with 27% (don't know if we are comparing apples to apples). But we have a good excuse because our winters are too long!

posted on Nov, 18 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
well we can look on the bright side, evolution is a bitch...fat lazy slobs will adapt or die.

but aside from that, there is a weight problem in america and the simple answer is ITS THE FOOD. the crap they put in products they call "food" sounds more like a list of things in toilet bowl cleaner. (ever read the ingredients of smuckers brand "uncrustables"? its basically a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich but the ingredient list is a paragraph long.

some of the things they put in food ,your body doesnt know what to do with, for example, high fructose corn syrup. Your body cannot digest this chemically altered sugar so it immediatly stores it (as fat) and triggers hunger again. So basically your body is starving while you get fat because it cant use the crap you ate. same thing with hydrogenated oils.

in america you have to make a constant effort to avoid foods that make you fat and unhealthy, for example you want to eat yogurt to be more healthy? well the regular brand has high fructose corn syrup, and the "lite" has aspartame, great choice huh??

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join