It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1 in 6 Americans Goes Hungry

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ulala

What's the best US food charity for Europeans to wire donations to ?

Don't waste your money.

It's not about taking care of the hungry. It's about the politics of controlling a voting block.

We could stand to have a lot more hungry people in the states.
It might change things.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

" We have enough in this World for everyones need, but not for everyones greed. -- Gandhi
No one should be hungry. No one should be cold. No one should be unloved. No one should be a victim of violence. No one should be a victim of predatory greed. Everyone is special. Everyone is a beautiful, divine fragment of the Lord of Love, the Great Creator, the One. The All.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by Klaatumagnum]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Klaatumagnum
"We have enough in this World for everyones need, but not for everyones greed. -- Gandhi

That's a poignant and good quote. Thank you.

And I think that hits the problem on the head. I know my daughter and I have far more to eat than most. As another poster pointed out, what people throw away as waste is more than enough to feed our Nation. Even our Federal Agricultural Subsidies are forcing farmers to destroy their crops rather than use those surpluses to feed the hungry.

We have more than enough resources to feed every child in the United States. However, our greed keeps us from doing such.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
We could stand to have a lot more hungry people in the states.
It might change things.

Although I'd be personally ever loathe to ever let things descend to that point, I have to admit that there is veracity in what you have said.

To most who cannot already sympathize for the plight of others must be allowed the opportunity to be in the same plight before they understand.

To those who are complacent, they must be given the incentive to move them from their complacency, which oftentimes means taking everything they have until they have nothing more to lose.

To those that sit idly by letting their Nanny State take care of them, must have the apron-strings severed before they learn to support themselves.

To all the people that let their government do wrong in their name, they must feel the pangs of hunger before they are willing to put their foot down and say "Not any more!"

A grumbling stomach makes for a restless populace.

How many rebellions and reformations occurred throughout history because the masses were hungry?

Let there be a lesson in Marie Antoinette's callous refusal to acknowledge a problem with nary a response other than "Let them eat cake!"

Still, the price of motivating the American people thus is far too step when children must suffer the consequences.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus
How many rebellions and reformations occurred throughout history because the masses were hungry?

How many of those reformations/rebellions occurred within a democratic republic with a (sadly to say, sorta) free market system?

Still, the price of motivating the American people thus is far too step when children must suffer the consequences.

A lot of those children suffer because of the American 'parents' that don't know how to use a $2 piece of rubber to highly decrease the chances of bringing a child into the world they themselves cannot afford.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Nearly everyone nowadays wants to pass of blame for their ill choices. It is quite annoying and is mainly why problems do not get solved and just snowball into larger problems.

A college student making say $12-15k a year from a part time job is more wealthy than the vast majority of the world's "poor".

Now little college boy wants to get his kicks. Nothing wrong with that except little college boy hates having to wear some silly condom and ends up getting a girly pregnant.

Now that $12-15k has to go up by working more hours or a different job, which in turn will probably ruin or extend his college education for a long time.

I know it isn't all the scenarios on why people are hungry, but it includes a lot of cases. But no one wants to talk about the causes that created the effects, but rather we wish to use the effects to create new problems.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I'm hungry right now...

(not sure exactly how the Government calculates these supposed "accurate" numbers.)

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I'm hungry right now...

(not sure exactly how the Government calculates these supposed "accurate" numbers.)

Well sir,

you are obviously a victim of a cruel and heartless society.

My condolances.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join