It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So I bought a PC for the first time ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Well I finally bought a new laptop, it's not an Apple
but its not a bad little laptop. I got it at Walmart and it was only $368. Its a 16:9in Acer. I had a friend help me pick it out. I didnt want to spend a lot since I didnt have that much to spend. It was my bday present to myself

I have sound!!!!! and a CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC key!!! lol

It has Windows 7 which made me laugh because could they have copied Apple anymore
I have been a die hard Apple fan for as long as I have ever used computers...but I couldnt afford a new one and mine was too expensive to fix. For what I paid for this new laptop was what it costs to fix my other laptops screen alone..lol

I feel like I am cheating!! My friend who helped me pick it out keeps calling me PC. All my friends are loving this right now because they all know how much I love Apple....lol

The one thing I dont like is that the keyboard doesnt light up like on my Apple.. I will be having that switched out ASAP. A lit up keyboard is awesome! All I have is some little light that is plugged into a USB port and it really doesnt help much. My fingers block the light over the keys. I will have to look for something different.

My friend who helped me pick it out will be installing Photoshop CS4 (woohoo) and Creative Suite Design Premium.. I cant wait for those!!! He is also going to install the camera and the best part is, he is gonna fix my Apple!!! I told him to take his time, no hurry. He is excellent with computers, I swear everyone I know and work with has had their computers fixed or serviced by him..lol It will be beneficial to have an Apple and a PC I think. I do need a PC for school purposes, some programs wont run on Apple and I am NOT installing Windows on my Mac.

So anyone who has Windows 7, what do you suggest? Any cool things I should know about or any bad things?

This does not mean I am a fully converted PC user, just temporary....lol

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
As a proud owner of a New PC. Let me give you some advice.

Ctrl + Alt + Delete; Is the primary key command. You will no undoubtedly use this combination often.

Common PC tools are the hammer and rock. You will love these tools after a while.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
To add to your thread, Purchase an Anti Virus Program, don't download some cracked version, just go and spend those extra $ and buy yourself the real deal.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Haaa
Yup Ive only had this since Saturday and I already had to use those buttons..lol I did download firefox because IE kept shutting down. I was like this is a new computer wth?!!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I'll get you links in a bit...
but

go go Download.com

Use Commodo - Firewall / antivirus

or

AVG

or Avira

If you go with AVG or Avira, also use ZoneAlarm firewall.

They're all Free and work just fine.

It's web surfing habits that get you infected, most times.

Good Stuff

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Yeah my friend who is putting the programs on it will be putting a virus program on it. I am soooo not use to virus scanning programs...ugh! I told him I need a how to guide for this thing....lol

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Thanks

Yeah this whole virus thing is really gonna drive me nuts! Im use to not having to worry about that stuff...lol My friend will hook me up with virus protection. I have heard about AVG being a pretty good program though, I will ask him before I install anything..lol

I had a little freak out moment when my W key popped off...lol I have NO luck with keys on laptops, but this one popped right back on. All I did was type, I have no idea who it popped off...lol

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Welcome to the dark side........

Once you have experienced it, you will never leave, but you will always have a "c".

as well as a pretty blue screen from time to time......

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I'm running windows 7 with custom boot on my laptop and have no problems at all.
The only thing I would suggest is ditch IE and use FireFox.

Happy PCing

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I'd like to add to the Firefox recommendation. It's really handy and can be fun with all the addons. Plus free! You might want to load it up and just get used to using it now since you're starting something new anyway.

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Plus if you want to go to Linux later it makes it all the easier

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Hey congrats on the new pc and happy birthday. You didn't even mention how big the Hard Drive is, processor speed, if it has a DVD burner or none of that good stuff. Sounds like a good price.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Only $368... WOW

I remember when I first bought a PC... It cost me almost $4,000 and the hard drive was only 840mb, with a 17inch monitor with a .28 dot pitch... (Whatever that meant)

That was "Way back when" the floppy disc still existed..

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by tribewilder

Welcome to the dark side........

Once you have experienced it, you will never leave, but you will always have a "c".

as well as a pretty blue screen from time to time......

Haaa! Well I will go back to Apple when my laptop is fixed, but I will keep both...Oh and oddly enough my darn W key popped off yesterday in Barnes and Noble..lol WTH I swear laptop keys dont like me...I popped it back on and I have no idea how that even happened..lol

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Sauron

Oh yeah I got firefox right away. IE was crashing left and right..lol I prefer firefox, I even used it on my Apple.....

Right now I am LOVING the fact I have Google Earth!! I only had the iphone version before and the full version is so much fun..lol

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Voyager1

Lol yeah those things I dont really understand. It has the DVD package, so I can make movies and CDs which is something I was unable to do on my broken Apple
I think its 2G ram and the hard drive is like 180. My friend is going to add more to it for me so I didnt need to pay for the extra at the store. He is also installing a camera and swtiching out my keyboard to one that lights up. Those are so much better! God I miss that part.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Have you ever tried running Google Chrome Browser?

I'm having some pretty good luck with it and the download speeds are much quicker. The only problem is that it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like Firefox though.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm the opposite, just went from PC to Mac....

Nice not worrying about viruses and malware....

I'm still so shocked every time I go to open up an app and it actually opens right away...not used to that, lol!!!

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm the opposite, just went from PC to Mac....

Nice not worrying about viruses and malware....

I'm still so shocked every time I go to open up an app and it actually opens right away...not used to that, lol!!!

Haaa I know how you feel!! Im a little sad not to have my mac but it will be fixed and I can go back to it. I loved the no virus thing and easy to use, well everything!!!!.lol

2Strong, I am not using Google Chrome, I didnt like it. I prefer Firefox since Im use to it from my Mac. I like the extras
My computer is pretty darn fast and downloading is no problem.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
May I add....

When you can, get the ram up to 4 gigs.

Bother Elevated about optimizing your operating system.

Now you have taken your first step toward the.......... PC side.

top topics

join