It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UN chief urges Israel to end Gaza blockade, evictions, alleged abuse of Palestinian children

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

UN chief urges Israel to end Gaza blockade, evictions, alleged abuse of Palestinian children

news.xinhuanet.com

Israel should end the blockade of Gaza, cease evictions and demolitions of Palestinian homes, and ensure that the rights of children are respected and that all allegations of torture and ill-treatment are promptly investigated and perpetrators prosecuted, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said

In particular, the government of Israel should allow unimpeded access to Gaza for humanitarian aid and the non-humanitarian goods needed for the reconstruction of properties and infrastructure,"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   

"Those heavy import restrictions, coupled with a near total prohibition on exports, have had a devastating effect on the Gaza economy," he said. "The blockade has also severely impaired the realization of a wide range of economic, social and cultural rights, as well as civil and political rights."

It's really the truest form of an apartheid and more, or rather worse.

a 14-year-old-boy from the village of Qatanna was arrested
While being transferred to an Israeli military camp, soldiers slapped him several times, handcuffed and blindfolded him. The boy stated that the handcuffs were too tight and caused him great pain and that the blindfold may have been coated in tear gas since his eyes were burning the entire time.

That's just disgusting
How important it is for an investigation of Israel's war crimes is becoming more and more visible and important.

But there are some brave soldiers that are part of the IDF

JERUSALEM — Two Israeli soldiers were sentenced to 30 days in jail on Monday for refusing to take part in the evacuation of a wildcat Jewish settlement in the occupied West Bank, a military spokesman said.

The two soldiers of the Naschshon battalion held up a sign opposing the operation and "refused to follow orders" at the outpost near the Palestinian city of Hebron, he said.

Twenty-five Israeli reservists, including some officers, have signed a petition asking that they not have to take part in any evacuation of Jewish settlements

www.google.com...

I just hope that something happens soon to hold the guilty accountable, whoever that may be.

Who's right who's wrong?
I can say that' nobody is completely right
However Palestinians are ready for a UN investigation while Israel is trying it's utmost best to disallow such an investigation of war crimes.

Doesn't that say it all?

news.xinhuanet.com

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Its a dreadful situation in that region.

I just spotted this news on Rense which might be the beginning of something new.

Palestinian push for independent state

It will interesting to see how USA / UK react to this request.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
How surprising that you left out all his criticisms of Hamas for murdering innocent Israeli civilians.

I'm so shocked that you only focused on his anti-Israeli comments.

What could this mean?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

I said in my opening post nobody is completely right
but nonetheless can you please highlight what I left out?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It should read, Un chief urges Hamas terrorists to stop attacking Israel.

It should read that THEY are the cause of counter attacks and sanctions on their people.

Funny how not all posters show both sides.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I'm sure Israel will comply with this request

pffffffft

some people just like to hear themselves talk

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:19 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Im so puzzled at the responses!!

Everyone is throwing insults with Zero logical arguments.
Perhaps you guys might feel more comfortable with youtube comments

this thread is not a freepost

[edit on 16-11-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
[...]

It's really the truest form of an apartheid and more, or rather worse.
[...]

I just hope that something happens soon to hold the guilty accountable, whoever that may be.
[...]

Who's right who's wrong?
I can say that' nobody is completely right
However Palestinians are ready for a UN investigation while Israel is trying it's utmost best to disallow such an investigation of war crimes.

Doesn't that say it all?

news.xinhuanet.com

To people who can't - or don't want - to read a fair historical account of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it will look like Israel is the big-bad bully and always has been. If that is what you want to believe or how you feel compelled to think then that is your decision and you are entitled.

While I do not agree with the way the Israeli government treats Palestinians, I do understand why the current measures are in place. In the past, when they have relaxed these measures after the events of the 2nd Intifada, they have suffered terrorist attacks that have threatened the lives of Israelis.

I cannot condone measures such as cutting off water supplies and refusing medical aid. That is definitely going too far and will likely result in unnecessary Palestinian suffering. This will increase the hostility Palestinians feel for Israelis.

It seems now that what is done is done. I know this is not easy for those living there, but how else will peace be achieved? An independent Palestinian state is good in theory, but how will the land be divided? Both sides will need to make concessions.

Do you really think an investigation into alleged War Crimes will achieve much? How can there be a truly neutral inquiry conducted. There always are conflicting reports from both sides, each side will play down their own actions and exaggerate and negate the actions of the other.

[edit on 16/11/2009 by Dark Ghost]

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

WHOA WHOA
it sounds like you just said that an apartheid is the only way to peace
sounds like a very scary statement

is that what you just said??

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
reply to post by Dark Ghost

WHOA WHOA
it sounds like you just said that an apartheid is the only way to peace
sounds like a very scary statement

is that what you just said??

This is exactly why I have chosen to refrain from posting in these types of threads. What you are trying to do is attack my character and make me seem like somebody who is pro-Apartheid just because I do not agree with your opinions.

I certainly did not say that, you did. Why don't you actually read my post fully before you make ludicrous assumptions?

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dark Ghost
It seems now that what is done is done. I know this is not easy for those living there, but how else will peace be achieved? An independent Palestinian state is good in theory, but how will the land be divided? Both sides will need to make concessions.

How else will peace be achieved.
This is the statement that stood out to me
no need to take it too personally
you shouldn't be afraid of debate so please continue posting

let's have an intelligent debate with ZERO ad hominems
I'm completely up for it if you are
There was none and will be no attacks on your character ONLY YOUR statements as I have done above, I can assure this.

Do you really think an investigation into alleged War Crimes will achieve much? How can there be a truly neutral inquiry conducted. There always are conflicting reports from both sides, each side will play down their own actions and exaggerate and negate the actions of the other.

What does the UN have to gain from an independant investigation?

What can be wrong with accepting an investigation if you are not guilty?

If a certain party makes bias statements then you counter with proof.

Israel has decision making powers over what you may consider super-powers
tptb will never go against them

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
A war crime is a war crime, whether the other side did it doesn't make a difference jeeeez most people are deluded enough not to see this.

Yes Hamas committed war crimes, but seriously that is not what the op is about, why do people drift the topic.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
As the UN suggests there is shared responsibility for the suffering in Gaza.This will continue until both sides tire of their status quo of death.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
This is so meaningless; I sure do feel sorry for the Palestinians. History sure has dealt them one rotten hand.

This story should read U.N. Chief gives Israel’s Public Relations and Propaganda Arm another opportunity for a platform to feign innocence to scoff at the wise while trying to brow beat and intimidate the increasingly displeased humane portion of the world to treat a whole race of people who have had their lands and homes and lives stolen like the caged and imprisoned criminals Israel treats them as into thinking it’s all ok and for some decent noble cause and it’s for it’s own protection and the world’s.

It’s for Israel’s own unfettered and animalistic greed and quest for total and utter dominance over all.

The United States Security Council should have disarmed Israel decades ago, sanctioned it until it gave up it’s illegal and uninspected nuclear weapons and abided by all treaties.

This is an obscene joke. The Israeli government is run by War Criminals and conducting a slow campaign of genocide to maximize the profit out of it made off the aide it extorts for that very aim.

The United Nations is a joke. This mess should have been cleaned up a long time ago.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I welcome anyone who posted a one line scoff at this article to articulate a defense for everyday tactics of the IDF. If your going to treat every bit of unpleasant news about them as anti-semetic libel about blood drinking zionists, then you may as well turn on CNN and stop reading information dangerous to the way you view the world. The embargo placed on West Bank is a matter of verifiable fact, and that alone should be a threads worth of discussion trying to justify.

Personally I think its no shocker that the Palestinians are fighting them like they are when their economy is stagnated, their diets severely constricted by embargos, and either a national endemic of bull#ting or the Isreali's strong arming their way around with the population.

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jackboot.Heel
I welcome anyone who posted a one line scoff at this article to articulate a defense for everyday tactics of the IDF. If your going to treat every bit of unpleasant news about them as anti-semetic libel about blood drinking zionists, then you may as well turn on CNN and stop reading information dangerous to the way you view the world.

Funny that's the exact thing I was thinknig!

one line scoffs are useless and aren't even worth posting
I don't know why people even bother with them

It adds absolutely nothing to the discussion

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   

The land was already divided by the 1967 agreement. Under this arrangement the Palestinians had already given up a lot of land which had been promised to them by previous agreements.

It all started when the western governments were consulting on the way forward at the end of WW2. Then in 1948 amid the various converstaions that were going on the Israeli simply announced their independence and created themselves. That itself was a theft of Palestinian territory.

Then it proceeds up to the 1967 boundaries which Palestinians are willing to accept.

Trouble is that Israel keeps taking more and more of the West Bank and Jerusalem, despite US telling them to stop.

So Israel is the only side that needs to make concessions by pulling back to previously agreed lines.

More about this can be found here Occupied Territories

Just want to add that in my opinion it is daft to have a country, Palestine, which is cut in 2 with an unfriendly other country, Israel, between the 2 bits.
There should be a corridor connecting the 2 parts so that Palestinians can move freely in the own country.

I seem to be wandering off topic.... sorry.

[edit on 17-11-2009 by bigyin]

posted on Nov, 17 2009 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Israel angers U.S. by approving new West Bank homes

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israel triggered a fresh rift with Washington over settlement building on Tuesday by approving the building of 900 homes for Jews on West Bank land it occupied in a 1967 war and annexed to its Jerusalem municipality.

The Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth said President Barack Obama's envoy, George Mitchell, had asked an aide to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, at a meeting in London on Monday, to block the proposed construction at the settlement of Gilo.

But a government planning commission approved the addition of 900 housing units at Gilo, where 40,000 Israelis already live.

The Israeli decision drew an usually sharply worded rebuke from the White House, which said it was "dismayed" and accused Israel of undermining Obama's efforts to resume peace talks with Palestinians stalled since December.

"At a time when we are working to relaunch negotiations, these actions make it more difficult for our efforts to succeed," White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs said.

In his statement, Gibbs also said the U.S. objected to continued evictions and demolitions of Palestinian homes in East Jerusalem.

in.reuters.com...

It is evident they do not like what Mr. Obama is currently doing in the middle east, is this because of his background ?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join