It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Awful Things Republicans Would Do If They Had the Chance

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   
www.alternet.org...

Always the political instrument of moneyed elites, and a retrograde societal force, the GOP today is more negatively impactful than ever. Its agenda, if fully implemented, would prove catastrophic. Here's what an unfettered Republican Party would do "for" America:

1) Greatly reduce or entirely eliminate taxes on the rich, thereby forcing hard-pressed working families to painfully make up resulting revenue shortfalls.

2) Bust labor unions, cruelly preventing the collective bargaining that's the key reason why US workers ever won decent wages and benefits.

3) Stubbornly deny the existence of ominous climate change while blithely pumping more pollutants into the environment from lucrative, dirty industries and practices. Although reputable scientists say 350 carbon parts per atmospheric million is the safe limit for sustained life on Earth, Republicans dismiss the frightening fact that we're already at a carbon level of roughly 390 ppm.

4) Remove "restrictive" regulations on everything from investment banks and credit card companies to a broad array of "profit-eroding" consumer protections, leaving the American masses exposed to a host of resulting abuses and dangers.

5) Continue to criticize and insufficiently fund public education, advocating private schooling instead, thus entirely ignoring that progressive public systems are used in every country that has education outcomes superior to our own.

6) Outlaw abortion, under a fraudulently moral guise, compelling the US to bloodily join those benighted, backward nations where thousands of already-born, living, breathing, socially functioning females perish because of sexist denials of their basic reproductive rights.

7) Continue to recite a Pledge of Allegiance whose last six words are "with liberty and justice for all," while remaining numbly oblivious to the harsh hypocrisy of preventing our homosexual citizens from marrying.

8) Speak often and loftily of freedom, but engage in secret wiretapping, repression of domestic dissent, neo-McCarthyite witch hunts, Red-baiting name calling, and a panoply of Patriot Act transgressions against the Constitution of the United States...all under the misused rubric of "national security."

9) Show the rest of humankind nothing but bullying world-cop arrogance through endless US interventions and aggressions on foreign soil, resulting not just in countless lives extinguished in indefensible wars, and billions of badly-needed dollars flushed down the drain, but constant al Qaeda recruitment against hated Yankee interlopers.

10) Generally drive down the income levels of America's working-class majority, as a purported cost-saving corporate measure, without appreciating that a populace that's too poor to buy back what society produces is doomed to economic ruin. A living wage is the ultimate "stimulus," but try to find even one Republican who favors it!

11) Continue to lie about the alternative, affordable health care for all that some fifty world nations' people overwhelmingly support, thereby propagandistically leading Americans to think that having private insurance whose premiums are rising at rates three times higher than our pay -- and which routinely denies coverage when it's required most -- is somehow preferable

12) Unleash de facto ethnic cleansing against 12 million immigrant men, women, and children, making them contemporary equivalents of the Jewish scapegoats that Hitler blamed for hardships Germans experienced during a prior period of capitalist economic distress.

13) Shamefully try to lend credence to their avarice and social irresponsibility by revising the Bible to obscure passages that place human need before abject greed, attempting to turn it into a facilitating guide for modern peers of the temple moneychangers whose tables Jesus angrily knocked to the floor (and who undoubtedly wouldn't be mentioned in the amended version that one conservative group is actually, amazingly trying to put into circulation).

14) Give full vent to the intensely bigoted hatred that has crazed extremists dreaming of literally tearing Barack Obama to pieces and gassing all liberals...if only they could.

15) Place the livelihoods and lives of over 300 million Americans in the hands of incompetent ideological "purists" such as Sarah Palin.

While there are certainly Democrats who've yet to show spine in furtherance of vital change, let's be absolutely clear about the unmitigated disaster that would follow if Republicans, in their present ultra-rightist incarnation, ruled our country exactly as they wickedly wished.

No I don't think the majority of republicans want to gas liberals or desire ethnic cleansing of immigrants. The author clearly went off the deep end, but at the same time, I think he brought up some good points.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
With the exception of #'s 12, 13, 14 and 15 I'd say the heavily slanted source and list is spot on. Thanks, kinda gives us a working template of sorts.

I think 2010 will show most Americans would like to see the majority of these changes. This will be clearly evident in their voting patterns.

FYI: Did you know the following:

Conservatives continue to outnumber moderates and liberals in the American populace in 2009, confirming a finding that Gallup first noted in June. Forty percent of Americans describe their political views as conservative, 36% as moderate, and 20% as liberal. This marks a shift from 2005 through 2008, when moderates were tied with conservatives as the most prevalent group.

Source: www.gallup.com...

Looks like the liberal base continues to dwindle. It's OK though we're not ruthless enough to not throw you a life preserver.

Becker

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Becker44]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Transhumanist
The author clearly went off the deep end, but at the same time, I think he brought up some good points.

Well said.

The article was incredibly flawed and divisive, but it does shed light on some of the faults that exist in the Republican's current ideology. Ultra right-ism is a dangerous thing, just as ultra left-ism can be. We should hope that if the party takes a turn for the center again, but thankfully I don't think they will win many votes if they continue down this path in the future.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
First, if you but a republic in a democratic environment, you are going to get some contradictions. and second, don't fall for this little charade. all this means nothing unless you believe in nothing. (politics)

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Becker44

I think 2010 will show most Americans would like to see the majority of these changes. This will be clearly evident in their voting patterns

Very true!
The pendulum keeps swinging back and forth while the clock falls apart.....
and while we all just get knocked around and then we stand up again.
Two sides of the same inflated coin eh?.....you think this would get old.
But nope people keep voting for these peeps and demanding the same ones in there again. Maybe its the peoples fault a little bit.

Wait till 2012, then will have alot more wars and stuff!
Thats a good thing right? Kewl!

Looks like the war on the people has already begun.
Good points!

Star and Flag!

Heres a video, George explains it well!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 15-11-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Meh

Republicrats and democrats are the same poison.

Everybody should quite bothering with both parties representing the same head.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Transhumanist

Good thread!

My humble opinion on each:

1) Yes, but I suggest you will find more than a few so-called Democrats going right along with it...

2) Doubt it. Both side of this coin use Unions to their political benefit... and wherever there is that much money, there is 'politics'.

3) As rash generalizations go, this one is fading fast. Many, on both sides of the political shadow puppetry, reject the strictly 'financial' solution offered and accepted by the usual middlemen. Both sides have their share of opportunistic dissenter, rabid profiteers, and political yes-persons.
And neither seems interested in an unbiased approach to the subject.

4) Again, I agree... but please see #1

5) The flaw lies outside the political. This is a social failing of our own. Citizens found it easier to relegate the future to the government... thus here we are. And capitalistic exploitation of the increased availability of cheaper labor. and the opportunities for government spending just drive the decline.

6) See number 1.

7) See number 1.

8) See number 1.

9) See number 1. But I believe this behavior has outlived it's usefulness and most will abandon the 'attitude' sooner than later.

10) The more a society needs direct help from the government to survive, the more powerful the government. See number 1.

11) See number 1.

12) I can't see this being valid. Cheap labor is more important to the political cabal than Human Rights... as is controllable revenue flow. See number 1..., the political parties are owned.

13) How this can be associated with an American political party or their ideology is too much of a stretch. Unless of course you contend that the constrictions placed upon them are soon be legislated into irrelevancy.

14) The appearance of this effort and it's crystallizing effect has political value to both sides.... there game is one of manipulated perceptions. The must both cooperate to make it work.

15) See number 1.

All things in politics are theater. Scripted, produced, and performed.

This list is one such 'thing.'

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Maxmars]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wow this guy isn't politically biased at all...

I don't think the Republicans want to erase taxes for the rich, but instead erase taxes for all (although I'm not sure about the majority of them in congress currently).

You know it's funny I define myself as a moderate conservative and yet, I almost find more hatred amongst my liberal friends against immigrants and homosexuals. Something else I want to address is I learned that my more liberal home state of Colorado had a law banning marriage of homosexuals way before our conservative neighboring state Wyoming did. I thought that was quite ironic. Or how conservative states like Wyoming banned cousin marriage but in New York it's legal. Strange how these stereotypes work huh?

Oh politics can be so fun, and cheap.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Bill Ayers, is that you? LOL

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am sorry to do this to you.

1. The rich pay more on taxes over all today.

2. Labor unions need a some busting because there getting way out of hand. Yes workers need to be payed a fair wage but if they boss can't make a profit and get wealthy they won't higher anyone.

3. This all a scam cooked up by Al Gore for money. They pulled this in during the 70's and the nuts said all the ice on the poles would be gone by 1998.

4. I could see them doing this but if the company's did all that bad stuff you said they would go broke in a few years.

5. The schools need a full overhaul no mater what party's are in charge.

6. You not that far off with this one. I could see them doing it, but there would always be the docs that would do it behind closed doors.

7. Both party's are doing this. As in past tense as in there doing it right now.

8. Same as seven.

9. same as eight.

10. Same as nine and if you going to say "would do if they had the chance" it can't have already happened.

11. I think your worth in life determines what you are entitled to. Not just the fact you are alive.

12. I can't believe I am saying this here or maybe I should be but your being crazy on this one.

13. Same as 10... though they have failed at it the times they have tried.

14. Well to be fare the dems did it to them first. But in reality they would never get to far with this.

15. Sara can't organize a bookshelf and you expert her to lead a army of crazed republicans?

I hate doing this. But you need to be brought back down to earth.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I guess this goes to show good and bad are simply points of view. I don't think the Republican party of America would do any of them because they are not a conversative party but 1-7 are not bad ideas in my opinon. Well prehaps not the dramatization of these ideas supplied by the lists author but the ideas in general.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I love it when the first word I read is "Always".

#10- Believing in a gov't mandated "living wage" shows a lack of economic understanding.

#5- we're not spending enough money on the education system?

#7 - homosexuals have the right to marry- a gay man can marry a women if he chooses. He chooses not to.

12-13-14 = I was embarrassed to read these.

The Republican party, the GOP, is evil. No kidding. But this kind of junk focuses us away from the Statist status that both Republicans and Democrats have.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Transhumanist

I guess id be the only one to disagree then?

Everyone and their mother can speculate day in and day out what some group of people "would do". I think at best your pandering for support while trying to denounce some of the most ludicrous accusations I've seen in quite some time.

Its just as easy to fault democrats if anyone wanted to generalize and exaggerate as this "author" did.

Funny that you would even give this person a second thought from a guy who, from all the articles I've read of his, Thinks hes gods gift to the world slinging accusations and blame commentary without providing any suggestions on how to fix the problem... Though he'd probably say that the world would be better off if we killed all the republicans.

The most telling sign of his obvious bias is that he never has anything to criticize about democrats. He obviously doesnt seem to think anything they do could possibly be, in any way, construed as immoral or wrong.

In summation I say Mr. Rahkonen should get off his high horse and smell his roses because here in the real world they smell like crap.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by conspiracyrus]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
FFS.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to get: Democrats and Republicans are just like "Good Cop/Bad Cop". Neither one really has your interests at heart, pal!
VOTE FOR PEOPLE WHO SUPPORT INDIVIDUAL FREEDOM AND LIBERTY. And remember, real Americans don't always "vote" at a ballot box.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd
Well said.

The article was incredibly flawed and divisive, but it does shed light on some of the faults that exist in the Republican's current ideology. Ultra right-ism is a dangerous thing, just as ultra left-ism can be. We should hope that if the party takes a turn for the center again, but thankfully I don't think they will win many votes if they continue down this path in the future.

One thing I don't understand, McCain was exactly the type of candidate that everyone seems to think the republicans should run, more centrist (I'd claim more liberal), more moderate, more reach-across-the-isle. But he lost, and lost hard.

Is that the plan? Or was McCain just not "centrist" enough for the left to think he's worthwhile? I mean, of course the liberals would request a more liberal republican, that only makes sense, but it's been shown time and time again that those candidates just lose, so... thanks for the help?

Personally, I'd love to see a die-hard conservative run on his own merit (much like NY-23, only with a real campaign) to see how that works out, rather than continue this trend of wishy-washy "I just want to be loved" centrist/liberal-leaning republicans.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
What a junk article. I guess were're better off with policies like the ones in California (I'm assuming a liberal wrote that).

Hey, wait a minute, California has some pretty big problems...

Hmmmm...me thinks liberal hypocrisy knows no bounds.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Left, right, whats the REAL difference? None what so ever. They both are full of hot air and we'd be better off with out any of them. We need some more options than those two parties because I don't want either one of them in office.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Here we are again...another divide and conquer thread. It's bad enough that they have brainwashed the public with this right & left BS, but even more so here at ATS. We are suppose to be the informed and educated ones....who are above the BS. But NO, we still cling to our youthful selves of yesterday...needing to be in a accepted group and belittling anyone who disagrees with our mindset.
I say enough of the BS.....Stand UNITED and together fight the good fight. Learn from history my friends....when an army wants to win a battle they set a scenario to divide their enemy and in the confusion, conquer them. Same goes for government, divide the people and in the confusion strip them of the freedoms & liberties.
The clock is ticking and the time is running out.....

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by EsSeeEye

I thought Mcain was dumb as hell and had some of the worst policies I've seen in a while.. actually his policies reminded me of Bush's somewhat. Palin I swear was an actor acting out as a ditsy blonde female dog that tried to sway more votes towards Obama than to her own cause. The only man I'd have liked to see out of all the candidates was obviously Ron Paul. As much as I admire RP.. its only because there isn't much to choose from. You have Obama whom nobody really knew his background until he started campaigning and had the media glorifying everything he did. I mean.. this entire run was a script they put together. They (gov/elitists) pulled another fast one right under everybody's nose. How many times will people get suckered.

posted on Nov, 16 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
This is the most slanted piece I've read in a while. If if were as simple as that then there would not be a Republican party. I find often those who bad mouth the "other side" know very little about it. Or worse yet, they list a "fact" but take it completely out of context.

You need to get out of this good and evil mind set and realize it's more of a grey landscape.

What happened to tolerance?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join