It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How low will he go? Obama gives Japan's Emperor Akihito a wow bow (Updated with video, pic)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by treemanx

K, I'm with you.

Let's start a war over something as insignificant as how low one should bow to another. This makes perfect sense.

Continue.

[edit on 11/14/2009 by Hal9000]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm sorry, as a person very familiar with asian and Japanese formalities, this is a total faux pas. Bows like what Obama has done is done not to show respect, (unlike most of you who think you know the culture), but a sign of acknowledgment of a superior. It's is both inappropriate and embarrassing.

Not to mention his actions overseas represent not only himself, but the US. I don't think I'd bow to anyone.

It's not a a bow of respect, a shallow bow would have been suffice for that, even a handshake considering Obama is a foreigner outside of the culture. Any bows in such a culture that place extreme importance in the minutest of gestures has great significance, and again, those of you who posted here thinking he is just showing due respect as a "non-hillbilly" prez is just ignorant. He has exhibited again an over-eagerness and naivete to make nice.

I am an asian American and I am freaking upset and embarrassed, Obama's bow don't represent me or any self-respecting free Americans.

What a tool.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Congratulations Americans, you have finally made steps to rejoin the rest of the world.

By bowing in respect to the Japanese Emperor, Obama indicated that America no longer sees itself as standing apart from the rest of the world, at odds with it, but that it is making an attempt to rejoin the rest of us so we can ALL move forward towards a better future - as a whole and not scattered into parts.

Of course there are always the detractors, the ones dead-set keen on keeping America as a standalone nation - unwilling to see that by doing so they are alienating themselves from the rest of us, and then they turn around and dare wonder why the world detests them?

Showing respect for other cultures and nations IS NOT a sign of weakness, it shows that America is willing to change it's "bully" image and is willing to listen and respect other nations.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The President of the United States of America should bow to no one. But since he wasn't born in this country, maybe he doesn't know this?

I can't wait until we have a legitimate President again.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by Carseller4]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
It is pretty sad when the minimum requirement necessary for me to vote against Obama will be anyone who isn't willing to bow to and kiss the rest of the worlds ass. Obama is pathetic. No American President should bow to anyone. EVER!

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by 317258186
I'm sorry, as a person very familiar with asian and Japanese formalities, this is a total faux pas. Bows like what Obama has done is done not to show respect, (unlike most of you who think you know the culture), but a sign of acknowledgment of a superior. It's is both inappropriate and embarrassing.

If this is any indication of how some other culture might see another, then might I suggest they see some Dirty Harry movies. They might get a better understanding of our culture.

This is only a suggestion.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

And then you wonder why the rest of the world sees you (Americans) as bullies...

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
No American President should bow to anyone. EVER!

Originally posted by Carseller4
The President of the United States of America should bow to no one.

THIS is why the rest of the world detests Americans. You wanted a reason - LOOK.

The "We bow to nobody cause we are all so damned important and full of ourselves that we shouldn't have to respect other countries THEY SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY RESPECT US" line of thought. Guess what Americans - it's that thought process that keeps the rest of the world rolling it's eyes at you.

This is, by no means, directed at ALL Americans, just the ones who think that Obama shouldn't bow to anyone cause America is the Greatest, The Best, The Bully.....oh....wait.....

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

As an American I agree. I see bowing as no different than sending someone a gift. Saying encouraging words. Shaking someone's hand. Patting someone on the back. I would much rather see someone bowing to someone than hearing:

"If your not with us, you're with the terrorists." -baby Bush

When those leaders come to America they will have much greater respect working with each other...they will probably feel like they are part of the solution.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

We are not bullies. We have done moref or the rest of the world then anyone has ever done for us. American Presidents don't bow. It is disgraceful to our nation. I don't expect any other world leader to bow to our President either.

The way I see it, if it wasn't for us the rest of the world would be speaking Russian or GermaJapanese, and if you all don't quit bitching and whining about these wars before that pussy President of our pulls out then you will all be living under Sharia Law in about 20 years.

Just the fact that you aren't already, should be enough for you to stop and thank Bush and Cheney and the American military for having a pair.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Obama takes one step forward .. You take two step backwards...

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Polynomial C

Obama takes one step forward .. You (Americans) take two step backwards...

If it is one step forward to bow to the Japanese emperor then I say we start running backwars. The Japanese emperor was the motivator behind Pearl Harbor and WW2.

They way I see it, it was the Emperor's ancestor who got his countries ass royally kicked in a war and if anybody should be bowing, the emperor should be bowing to the President of the US and still begging for forgiveness for Pearl Harbor.

[edit on 15-11-2009 by HotSauce]

[edit on 15-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It was a bow of respect. Do you actually think for one second Obama considers Akihito his superior? Seriously...

The bow wasn't returned because the Emperor doesnt bow, once again, that's custom. It would be just as disrepectful for Akihito to bow back as it would have been for Obama not to bow at all. If the emperor was visiting the US, I would expect that he would have extended his arm as a greeting as that is the normal custom here in the US.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

So bloody what?

If you really want to argue details, we Aussies saved our own asses so quite frankly your claim falls flat on it's face right there without me having to go into the numerous other countries who also fought and died alongside us and you Americans. You act as if you were the only ones fighting and dying - what a load of ignorant diatribe.

Go learn your history mate, not just what you read on the signboard at the local supermarket.

[edit on 15/11/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:05 AM
link   

I just hope you are doing a kind of "Stephen Colbert" Satire...

Because if you are not ..

[edit on 15-11-2009 by Polynomial C]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:13 AM
link   
First of all I am American, for now. It's Japan, so you bow. In Japan, I bow so much that when I come back I bow for a day on accident. It's RESPECTFUL. Obama did the right thing. The problem is most americans are so stupid and backwards they don't understand this. The real problem, which deserves its own thread, is that most americans, british, etc, are so stupid, they don't realize there stupid, and they get angry at people who aren't stupid because there ignorance clouds all things they do or say. I include the British because they do the same things as americans no matter how much they want to pretend they don't. There are stupid people everywhere, japan, germany, italy, etc etc. It's when the majority becomes stupid and disrespectful that it starts spilling over and its not just America believe me.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Ruggeder

Did you see how far he bent over.He might as well said take me I am yours and have your filthy way with me.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

You know the thing I find most amazing? Is that the rest of world really thinks the average American even gives a flying frog what they think about us. As Cartman would say.. "Screw you guys, and screw you guys!"

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   

I guess you don't know what a constitutional monarchy means...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join