It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E-85 the alternative fuel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I saw this on the news last night, had never heard of it and thought you guys might be interested ?

What is E85?

E85 is the term for motor fuel blends of 85 percent ethanol and just 15 percent gasoline. E85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy. Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence.

Today, the U. S. imports more than half of its oil, and overall consumption continues to increase. By supporting ethanol production and use, U.S. drivers can help reverse that trend. 85% ethanol can reduce pollution. Government tests have shown that E85 vehicles reduce harmful hydrocarbon and benzene emissions when compared to vehicles running on gasoline. E85 can also reduce carbon dioxide (CO2), a harmful greenhouse gas and a major contributor to global warming.

Although CO2 is released during ethanol production and combustion, it is recaptured as a nutrient to the crops that are used in its production. Unlike fossil fuel combustion, which unlocks carbon that has been stored for millions of years, use of ethanol results in low increases to the carbon cycle.

Ethanol also degrades quickly in water and, therefore, poses much less risk to the environment than an oil or gasoline spill.

National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition :
www.e85fuel.com...

Is your vehicle E-85 compatible ? Here's a list see if you're on it :

www.cleanairchoice.org...

Click here to find an E-85 re-fueling station near you :
www.e85fuel.com...

The report I saw last night said that this fuel normally sells for about 10 cents less than regular gasoline, however for a few hours today in Illinois, it's on sale for just 85 cents per gallon !

So if this is so much better than gasoline, why isn't it a huge issue, more places offering it ?

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I recall from Geography at School (must be 10 years back at least now) that in Brazil they run quite a few vehicles on alcohol made from Sugar cane.
I was always curious why this never spread.

So in conclusion, put sugar in your gas tank.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
sugar in the gas tank, I don't think so.... do you know if these engines that you speak of burning sugar, are they regular engines or modified... ?

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm not sure of the specifics and only an idiot (or an ex) would put raw sugar in a gas tank lol.
(just for the record kids, don't put sugar in your gas tanks)

You can get ethanol (an alcohol) from sugar cane and so I'm pretty sure it must have been a blend like the E85.

In fact, visit here:
journeytoforever.org...

From the website:
Ethanol blends are increasingly used in South Africa, while Brazil, the world leader, produces four billion gallons of ethanol a year: all Brazilian fuel contains at least 24% ethanol, and much of it is 100% ethanol (engines can be designed to run on 100% ethanol).

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by MrDead]

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:50 PM
link   
There have been various studies on other sources of energies in the past, but never have really been applied. Or they are just too expensive.

I don't think we will be changing from oil in the near future. Besides oil companies have too much power they wont allow us to use cheaper and cleaner methods. They want to drain the earth's sources until they run out (of money).. Off course the worldwide stock exchanges will definately crash... When??? Probably sooner than you think..

posted on May, 21 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Pure alcohol would be quite good for performance :p

But I don't know how the effect on nature and urban life would be.

If the fuel burn isn't perfect, you'll have the air soaked with Alcohol fumes and when your in a high traffic city, this could buildup to pritty high levels, also causing everyone to be drunk all the time

Hrm, come to think of it, THATS NOT SO BAD!!!!

[Edited on 21-5-2004 by thematrix]

new topics

top topics

join