It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Canada Spearhaed an Effort to Launch Enough Simple Mass Into Orbit to Deter A Major Impact

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I support the idea in the OP. I say let Canada work on this because there are two real benefits.

1. It keeps them occupied so they won't have as much time to give us their unwanted advice on how to run our country, THE USA.

2. They will actualy be trying to accomplish something for once, and when they screw up we can sit back in our lazy boys and tell them what they are doing wrong and how to fix it, just like they do to us all the time.

Go Canada! No, seriously, just go.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by one4all

This is wrong. The "rods from god" project would only yield explosions comparable to regular bombs. The point is to penetrate deep into the ground to destroy hardened bunkers, and to do so without nukes.

It yields less explosive power than the fuel inside the ICBM body that took it into space in the first place.

At the velocities we can reasonably achieve with the engines we have available, nuclear payloads can deliver many times more energy cheaper than an inert payload, relying on just kinetic energy.

The idea with a nuke, of course, is not to blow up the asteroid, but to alter it's course so it doesn't hit the earth.

Also, the amount of material it would take to block an asteroid through sheer momentum would probably cost more than canada is worth just to get it into space. It would make much more sense to send robotic probes to take one of the asteroids that are already out in space and bring it to earth. And even then, it's not really a good plan for stopping asteroids. It would make quite a mess.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
I support the idea in the OP. I say let Canada work on this because there are two real benefits.
1. It keeps them occupied so they won't have as much time to give us their unwanted advice on how to run our country, THE USA.
2. They will actualy be trying to accomplish something for once, and when they screw up we can sit back in our lazy boys and tell them what they are doing wrong and how to fix it, just like they do to us all the time.
Go Canada! No, seriously, just go.

Aw...y'all could use a break from world domination, let us handle this asteroid thing. C'mon up...have a real beer...fish for some Pickerel...we'll leave the porch light on for you.

And I'd say we'd have no problem with the technology required, but why build our own launch facilities when other countries have them for rent...U.S. included. Save the fireworks for the grunts.

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Aw...y'all could use a break from world domination, let us handle this asteroid thing. C'mon up...have a real beer...fish for some Pickerel...we'll leave the porch light on for you.

Johnny, sounds like a deal. You protect the free world and handle the asteroids for a while and we will cmon up and have a beer and do a little fishing with you. We could all use a vacation, plus why work, the dollar won't be worth a damn dime soon anyway.

But please don't use our Rocket, beause in the one in a million chance one of ours fails you will be telling us how Canadians would have made them right because they wouldn't have spent alll of their rocket money on the wars.

[edit on 14-11-2009 by HotSauce]

posted on Nov, 14 2009 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
The simple answer is no!

Canada doesn't need to do anything in this regard because america and russia are more than capable of handling the situation, that is if they want to.

Launching rocks into space with the hope of deflecting asteriods is a retarded idea because all those rocks will eventually crash back to earth and cause more damage.

You want an effective solution? Put the star wars laser defense system to good use or at the very least use nukes launched from space.

America is pretty much broke atm, unless you haven't noticed. The funds for NASA are dwindling. There are a lot of smart European university student making satellites - We've got ESA here, and we're not relying on you guys any more.

Take a deep breath and realise you are not what the world revolves around. Please.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Even if we had some type of large mass to use for this, there is no way we could launch it with enough velocity and accuracy to be very effective. Even if we do manage to deflect it, we may be the cause for destroying a 5 billion year old empire out in space someplace that would never have encountered this space rock. No, I suggest we find a better idea.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I can just see this. Canada goes broke from the expense of hoisting a bloody great rock up into the sky. As it orbits it gradually slips closer to Earth, speeding up as gravity pulls if back toward whence it came, until it comes crashing down into Hudson bay . . .

Causing a circular tidal wave of atmospheric proportions which ravages the broken remains of that sad, stolen country, finally putting it out of its misery.

Rather than being party to your own destruction, how about you canucks put up a "welcome home, meteorite" sign and then join us partying in another great sad, stolen land, Australia.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by HotSauce
You protect the free world and handle the asteroids for a while and we will cmon up and have a beer and do a little fishing with you.

You just keep on raising the value of Halliburton stock...I mean 'protecting the free world'...and leave us to do the heavy thinking, ok?

Meanwhile, I still like the innovative idea of using a "Gravity Tractor" as the answer to the asteroid dilemma. It also tackles that nasty collateral damage problem...you know, "Sorry, we had to blow up the earth in order to save it from the bolide."

Sometimes testosterone ain't the answer.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Hey my American friends,I am Albertan so Im more or at least as REDNECK AS YOU ARE so lets cut to the chase,whens the last time anyone detonated a nuclear weapon in space??

Whhhhaaaatttss that I HEAR YOU SAY---NONE,EVER,ZERO,NADA,this is why We Canadians have to sit back and constantly help our southern country cousins figure the cosmopolitan global reality out,we need to gently guide them through the china shop of the world as it is today.

Your boneheaded "hit it with a bigger hammer if it doesnt fit "attitude is fine if its only your own fingers that might be amputated my a missed blow,but the good olde USA is no longer the sword of democracy on our planet.

For christs sake we all know that if America started throwing nukes around anywhere including space the rest of the world including Canada would kick their ass,immediatly and soundly.There is no question we could and would do it.The same for Canada or any other country that behaves recklessly.

You cant extend your power based on a funky democracy out into the world and not expect to get spanked.America is very far down the list of countrys that can project this type of influence.If England decided to segregate and impose its will and global power on America the USA would wilt in 12 months.

As an American you should try to understand the perspective of at least your neighbors,heres one for you,did you know that Canada had strategicly placed nuclear armed Minuteman missiles on our soil during the sixties and seventies while the world thought we were non-nuclear.

These were all American missiles,manned by American troops.

Dont you think that canada had a contingency plan to "seize"those weapons?

America has reached a Zenith in its growth and needs to find a new global identity.

How about a dual purpose platform that was massive and armed with nukes and also a habitat?

Sounds a little like the moon on a smaller scale.

America can keep the nukes in the holster on their hip until humanity needs them,USA is like the Klingons on Star Trek.Or the Little red Headed Cartoon guy Yosemite Sam,always spoiling for a fight and very good at it.

Remember that these will have to travel far away from earth to be effective and we will have to change out personell on the "Guardians".

We require the protection of a celestial body to safely travel through deep space.

We might as well start now.And yes my redneck, brothers you can bring your guns and dont worry we will bring ours to,have you heard of the Canadian Mag-Res Platform?Directed Magntetic resonance,-no fluctuations.

Imagine a weapon that changed the molecular structure of your blood on a cellular level.Just like that.

Imagine a weapon with the ability to find electric current of the most infantessimal size and and seek it out faster than the speed of light and snuff it out,creating a vacume.Bye,Bye Nukes and anything that uses electric energy signatures,and I mean you choose the. second after launch to destroy capability because distance is not a concern.This isnt space based Star wars American style either,this is exactly like the Minuteman missiles,America baring her throat when she bares her teeth.
We arent the only Country developing things America threw away decades ago.We have mined the intellectual detritus of the USA and found some huge nuggets.

So lets assume that magnetic pulse tech will be used to launch things into orbit soon,is the idea more appealing if cost is not an issue?

Wouldnt a dual purpose habitat/defensive weapon using nukes as a first line and kamikasse sheer mass tactics as a last line of defense make sense from a HUMANITARIAN PERSPECTIVE.

Our species should be protected.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Should Canada be involved in the aerospace industry?

Sure. But our government is so busy sucking up to the Quebec aerospace industry that it has effectively hamstringed several other potential companies in other provinces.

The Avro Aero project was given up FOR the America. That devastated that industry and would have put Canada into the leaders' pack. Thanks Dief. Still appreciate that bit of USA sucking up.

Our population is still small, and the amount of work we do quite extensive for that. As with most collaborative works, if you didn't have professionals getting the resources, everything else wouldn't matter.

Many Canadian's and Canadian concepts get shipped out of country for development. Japan, China, and the USA are all employing Canadians and Canadian's innovations.

The idea of putting up a chunk of matter to save us from strikes? I don't know about that. Isn't that what the moon is already?

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Originally posted by AccessDenied
Why do you suggest Canada?
Our contributions to the space program have been minimal at best...

Sure, it's not like every time you see them doing work outside of the shuttle...unloading cargo bays and such...you see a Canadian flag, right?
(Think Canadarm
)

Yes..Johnny I know..but that's it..not much to brag about.
Actually perhaps we just have different or I dare say a better sense of priorities. Space exploration/ or asteroid detection..ain't one of them.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Anybody else seeing this turn into a Red Green Show episode?

A tower of empty beer kegs filled with kerosene and propane with a sheet metal nozzle on the bottom kegs, and filled with garbage on the top kegs, with a hacked XBox 360 duct taped to the top. Would definitely be a good one with the explosion at the end.

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ferris.Bueller.II
Anybody else seeing this turn into a Red Green Show episode?

A tower of empty beer kegs filled with kerosene and propane with a sheet metal nozzle on the bottom kegs, and filled with garbage on the top kegs, with a hacked XBox 360 duct taped to the top. Would definitely be a good one with the explosion at the end.

The key to that equation is the number of empty beer kegs.

(x litres=good plan, eh?)

A star for you for your inspiration...though not as good as duct-taping two Hyundai Ponys together, side by each, to build a Hummer.

edit to ask...you do know he's Canadian, right?

[edit on 15-11-2009 by JohnnyCanuck]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by K-Raz
America is pretty much broke atm, unless you haven't noticed. The funds for NASA are dwindling. There are a lot of smart European university student making satellites - We've got ESA here, and we're not relying on you guys any more.

Take a deep breath and realise you are not what the world revolves around. Please.

You made a good post earlier explaining how mass alone is not enough to stop a speeding asteriod/comet but then you ruin everything by making this silly post.

Trust me, nasa is nothing but a side show for the ignorant masses to stay busy, while the military-industrial complex hordes billions(if not trillions) developing exotic weapons that only god and the reptillians know about.

And ESA is on the same page so don't flatter yourself! Why do you think they always repeat what nasa says? Hmmm. Or china, russia, india, etc?

[edit on 15-11-2009 by EarthCitizen07]

posted on Nov, 15 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
If the PTB wanted to save human kind they would not come up with all these utterly silly, non-sensical "solutions" when they already have everything they need.

The fact that america has an SDI, built about a decade ago for a so-called nuclear attack from the "east", but is not even talking about using it for other reasons should ring alarm bells to everyone with an ounce of common sense. Why not use something that cost you billions to build

That is/was my intent! To show people no government gives a flying monkey's ass about its citizens because they are all on the same page and they want to depopulate the earth at all costs. The media is trying to prepare us for the "inevitable" day-in and day-out. Just watch discovery or national geographic for christ's sake! Then we have rumors of underground bases where the elite plan to take refuge while we get slaughtered like animals.

Yeah, its so hard to make the puzzle fit!

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by IAF101

I'll tell you what's a Canadian invention! The Robertson screwdriver! A square shaped tip. I've never seen one of these strip. But the Americans chose to not use it, instead they use the Phillips screwdriver. A cross shaped tip. NASA uses them! AND then the screws strip, in the I.S.S.

posted on Nov, 19 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by HotSauce

I'll tell you what America is doing wrong! Your watered down crappy beer, with no alcohol content listed on the bottle. No recycling cash back for the empties either. No wonder it's called piss water down there!

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
The Chineese gov has stated there is an object behind elenin,comong right at us.

Others say similar things.Do you see my point for this thread now,I was a little off base but not much,we need to harvest a big rock in our solar system to use as a defensive sheild,if it isnt to late already.

Suddenly I think about how Noah could have been warned about a flood,and now I see how,even down to the when part.

lets switch over to how do we think we can effectively harvest a defensive rock out in space?

posted on Jul, 9 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I applaud your sentiment since the world should be making an effort to detect and be planning for averting an asteroid impact. However your solution is misguided.

The money would be better spent on detection and on a usable high speed space propulsion system.

If you detect it early and can get there is doesn't take much energy to move something enough to miss. You don't need to stop it and you don't want to break it up.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join