It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Explosion in McDonalds in Istanbul, Bomb found in McDonalds Branch in Rome

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
In the past few hours we have confirmed reports of an explosion in a McDonalds in the turkish city of Istanbul, the bomb exploded harmlessly in the restaurants car park and no casualties were reported. No groups have claimed responsibility but is believed to be the work of turkish militants.

Source: Forbes.com

These events come mere days after 4 small bombs rocked the city and British Prime Minister Tony Blair was in talks with the Turkish Government in Ankara.

More details will follow soon

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Nerdling]

[Edited on 20-5-2004 by Nerdling]

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:45 AM
link   
A McDonald's restaurant in Istanbul has been rocked by an explosion in its carpark, according to reports.

Reuters news agency has quoted Turkish television as saying no one was hurt in the blast.

The private TV8 channel quoted police radio as saying the blast was from a percussion bomb, which makes a loud bang but causes little damage.

Security is of special concern in Turkey's largest city in the lead-up to a Nato summit in late June which will be attended by US President George Bush and other Western leaders.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Who! I've been to McDonald's in Rome. I hope its not in the one near the Piazza de Espana. That was anice one. Marble floors and all. It was huge too!

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Looks like Mcdonaldization and subsequent globalization is not working out exactly how we had anticipated. Now, symbols of American society in foreign lands have become targets. Will this affect franchise globalization for other businesses? It's doubtful, but I wouldn't go into an American fast food joint in Europe.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
This is a direct result of Bush's inept foreign policy---now businesses will feel it too as well as the average American and foreigner. Now, maybe they will decide that its time to throw this guy out.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It appears that the focus has moved to attacking America where it counts: the wallet. If the largest American corporations begin to fear attack at home or abroad, who knows what kind of effect it would have on our economy.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hmmm. This is beginning to appear as a non-event. So far, Reuters, AP, CNN, and MSN all aren't carrying it.

I guess this really is the best place for news.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
This is a direct result of Bush's inept foreign policy---now businesses will feel it too as well as the average American and foreigner. Now, maybe they will decide that its time to throw this guy out.

Well Kernull, since no one has claimed responsibility, I think your statement is a little overreaching. For all we know this may be the work of a radical fat guy's group whose placed blame for their poor health on fast food. On the other hand, it could be the work great chefs angry with fast food competition.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
It's Burger Kind taking over the world by establishing a shadow garden salad while we are busy watching McDonalds branches burning down.

posted on May, 20 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I don't know how effective this tactic is. McDonalds is a franchise. The individual restaurants are owned and operated by local business people. They have fees and standards etc that must be followed to be allowed to use the brand name.

So the main people that got smacked by this would be Turkish people, not Americans.

top topics

join