It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House to Begin Push on Immigration Overhaul in 2010

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   

The Obama administration will insist on measures to give legal status to an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants as it pushes early next year for legislation to overhaul the immigration system, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said on Friday.

In her first major speech on the overhaul, Ms. Napolitano dispelled any suggestion that the administration — with health care, energy and other major issues crowding its agenda — would postpone the most contentious piece of immigration legislation until after midterm elections next November.

More good news this Friday the 13th of November 2009.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I wish there was a face that shows me hanging my head in shame, butI guess I will have to use this one as a substitute...

What kind of message does this send? That we have no control of our country whatsoever? That the administration ruling today doesnt have a sack to hold their nuts in?

What happens when this message gets out to those outside the country?
That 10 million is going to turn into 30 million overnight.

Is this administration really that stupid to believe that this wont be the straw that breaks the camels back?

This administration is getting really ballsy as of lately, testing the public to see how much they can get away with. I for one, am not to be tested, and neither are my fellow countrymen, NOT BY GUYS LIKE THIS.

I REALLY, REALLY hope this is all BS. I really do, I hope someone can debunk these claims. If not, lets all just say goodbye to what our nation once was.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I hope this is BS too. There goes our jobs, our beautiful countries being turned into cities....I mean where are they all going to go?! our country is going to end up like China. Packed tight! And will our country be safe? Are they going to be careful who they let in? No probably not..this is a terrorists dream.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by capgirl]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by genius/idoit

why cant they just kick them all out and spend the money to build a wall they cant get over or under or through? the money saved from not taking care of the illegals will save TONS of taxpayer money...i know here in the county im in in Cali, illegals allready have amnesty and alot of them actually get handouts from the state(like healthcare and housing and food stamps and money) while people like me are struggling to make it...i cant believe what our country has become...maybe we should make citizens arrests of these people and kick them out ourselves!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

First of all, such xenophobic rhetoric, the whole "we're losing control of our country" is just the easy way out of a debate. These people are here and something reasonable *notice REASONable* must be done to aliviate the problem. Think of the good 10 +/- 1 million people will do when they pay back taxes...might not be much money but it'll at least help significantly. Let's do some number crunching: The 2007 immigration reform bills stated that in order for these people to even have a shot at temporary resident status *not full resident, but temporary residency* they needed to learn english, pay back taxes, and pay a $5,000.00-12,000 fine. Now multiply that number which could be up to 15grand times the 10-11 million who will benefit out of the total 12 million and you've got yourself a good source of money for the Federal gov which comes out to be around $180,000,000,000...that's about an 8th of what healthcare would cost. Keep in mind that these are very modest estimates. From an economic viewpoint, it'd be sheer stupidity if we let such an opportunity pass us by.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by chrisd250

Here's a solution;www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   

if what you say is true, why can't you benefit from the same services these illegals are "benefitting" from? I find it complete rubbish, neigh, i know it's complete rubbish that illegals can get any sort of handout from state-local-federal governments that citizens can not.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by genius/idoit

Here's a solution;www.abovetopsecret.com...

hahaha i guess i should become one too! especially here in cali it pisses me off because i dont have health care or free food or free anything and i AM a fricken born here citizen, while all they did is jump over a fence that lies on top of an imaginary line....complete bs....

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

WTF?

I DONT WANT to grant them ANYTHING. I DONT WANT these people to be citizens just because they are "Already here". THEY DONT BELONG HERE.
You cant say "Hey you committed a crime, but thats okay, welcome to the US of A!

I got an Idea, ENFORCE THE DAMN LAW. If they are "Illegal"(whichmeans, yes you got it, NOT LEGAL) then kick them the F out.

Debate...HA! There should be no "Debate" on this issue. It is pretty cut and dry. If you dont take the proper steps to becomming a citizen, no matter what country you are trying to get into, YOU ARE DOING NOTHING to benefit the people, Or the state in which you are trying to flee to, all you become is a burden. Take the proper steps and there wont be any problems.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by capgirl

How is adding 10-12 million more people to our population going to make us "packed" like China is? Honestly, how is it even possible? Unless i missed something, that's less than 10% of the current population which wouldn't even pass us past 400 million tops. How is such an argument constructive against comprehensive immigration reform? Historically, there have been periods where more than half of the American population has been Immigrant-born, not even first generation American, but fresh-off the boat immigrants! how legalizing 10-12 million immigrants anywhere near that scale?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24

if what you say is true, why can't you benefit from the same services these illegals are "benefitting" from? I find it complete rubbish, neigh, i know it's complete rubbish that illegals can get any sort of handout from state-local-federal governments that citizens can not.

because as a white american in california its hard to even get a BOG waiver for my college classes(which essentially pays for your classes minus books) because(and i quote from the california admissions personel)
1)im white(not of "ethnic" background) he actually told me that MOST of the handouts are given to people who fall under some sort of ethnicity and even prodded me to make up that im part indian
2)even tho i dont live with my parents they make too much money(60,000 a yr) which in the bay area means lower middle class
3)i dont have kids....

so yes, it is a biased system and i CANNOT(i have tried) benefit from the same things they get...

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24

First of all, such xenophobic rhetoric, the whole "we're losing control of our country" is just the easy way out of a debate. These people are here and something reasonable *notice REASONable*

Something reasonable eh?

How about we use some of that $700,000,000,000 to rent a fleet of Greyhound buses then ship them all back.

Also while we are at it we might as well get an ocean freighter for those illegals from across the ponds.

One way ticket for all of them.

[edit on 13-11-2009 by Tyr Sog]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

You sound like a NATIVE AMERCIAN (the actual native Americans, not you the Europeans :conquistadors: )...

oh the Irony

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Polynomial C

Real constructive.
Go Play.
Three.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Well if there had actually been any real reform under the Reagan administration in regards to immigration rather than a bandaid amnesty, we wouldn't be in this situation. Do you even know the waiting period for a visa to enter the U.S.? between 2-20 years. That's unacceptable. During the last few months of the Bush admin and the early months of the Obama admin, the actual process has been streamlined to the point which the FBI can accommodate all of the background checks new immigrants need to be subjected to prior to being given a visa to come in yet it's Homeland security which lags the process down to a grind, thus you have a situation like we have had for the past 20 years- a long backlog on immigration cases. Now how in the h*ll do you expect these people who can't feed their families to wait an extra 2-20 years to get approved for a visa to come to this country legally? It's insane! And don't pretend to play the holier than thou card and tell me that you would not do the same if you were in their position. Another thing, no clear immigration bill has come out from either the House of Senate, so truly no one has any idea if the road to citizenship will be a "straight shot" for these people, but if any legislation is similar to that proposed in 2007 no one benefitting from such laws would have a "free shot" to Citizenship. They'll pay a fine, pay back taxes, go to the back of the line in the process thus those who are currently trying to get in legally can do so without disruption, and be required to lean English.

And lets be honest, if immigrants now weren't subjected to bureaucratic process they are now and were actually allowed to emigrate like those in the late 18th century and early 19th century were, we wouldn't be in such a mess. So if you're looking for anyone to blame, blame the xenophobes and conservative movements of the early 19th century which made it harder for immigrants to come into this country out of racist views.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Tyr Sog

so you would rather have the federal government spend hundreds of billions of dollars it doesn't have to ship out millions of people who only "leech" less than a billion in services while contributing nearly 30 billion a year *thus making it a huge net gain*? How is that at all reasonable???

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Lets forget these aliens broke the law to be here.What other laws will they break??? WOW!!! Lets add the cost of health care, schools and all the other benefits you want to give them.

The biggest joke back taxes!!!!We have our own citizens not paying taxes.Do you think the illegals will pay??Lets not forget that they all come from countries with great immuniztion.I know I worry about my kids do you?? Some of you really live in a dream world.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus24

Your first paragraph(yawn). Its funny that theonly ones who complain about the waiting list are the ones who dont even try. The ones who DO go through the proper steps HATE the fact that these people come here illegally. Do you know how illegals operate? I mean really? Do you live in an area where there is nothing but illegals everywhere you look? I do. I have also worked side by side with them for over 10 years in the construction industry. They DONT CARE about this country, and if you think they do, you are SADLY mistaking. The ONLY ones that I have ever come across in those 10 years that ever cared about this country, were the ones that actually DID go through the proper procedures to get here.

Let me let you in on a little secret, of how they opperate. They come here, and they share rooms in a home with several other illegals. They pay the rent, and the owner of the house pays nothing, and if one of them dont pay, they usually end up dead, or the owner finds a way to get them deported. Anyways, what these guys do is get themselves cash only jobs, or go down to the local swapmeet and buy all the fake identification they can from sources within the swapmeet(This way, they can get a job). Once they do get a job, do you really think that most of that money they make STAYS inside of the US? NO. They ship the money back home to their families. They are raping us. If you drive downthe road, and get into an accident with one of them, 9 times out of 10 they take off running because they dont have insurance or a proper drivers liscence, putting othermotorists in harms way because they never properly learned how to drive or read street signals. They pay NO income taxes, and take those cash paying jobs because cheap ass Americans dont want to spend that extra money to pay an actual citizen of their own country to do the work for them(as a matter of fact my next door neighbor just hired 3 illegals to do a job because she didnt want to pay a contractor for it). She is not only breaking the law by doing that, but she is also screwing over the rest of the country by doing that.
And this administration thinks that by just giving these people citizenship its going to make everything better? Like I stated in my second post, it starts at 10 million, and itwill turn into 50 million over night. Does anybody with half a brain actually think that this is a good idea?

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

in response to your "response"...I do know illegals, hell one of my best friends is an illegal , a my cousin's cousin is illegal *granted, both were brought here as children by their parents so trully, not their fault they're illegal*, my fiance's wife prior to the Reagan amnesty were illegal and yet all of them love this country as if it were theirs, all of them pay their taxes and to top it off, my friend can't even join the Marines *which as been a lifelong dream of his* because he lacks proper documentation *and no, they're not fooling me*.

By the way, I live in San Diego county, so don't lecture me about what illegals do and do not do. I know people who claim to be "true Americans" who make six figure incomes that bash illegals yet have no real qualms about hiring them to be their gardeners, handymen, and cleaning ladies. Now you tell me which American would do that for the price these illegals do? None. That's the point, people demand services be provided for a lower price, so someone along the line gets paid lower than minimum wage. Just look at the crop picking industry. Do you really think you'd be paying $1.50-2.00 for a box of strawberries if the workers were properly compensated? Would you want to pay double, nearly triple the amount for such goods just to satisfy your self-righteousness? I doubt it. The truth about immigration reform is that it's a complicated issue that frankly most do not comprehend. Such an issue has social and economic repercussions and to simply discard such a notion is irresponsible and idiotic. Like i said before, we have no real idea what congress is going to cook up in regards to an actual immigration reform so there is no need for this premature mud slinging and jumping to paranoid and unfounded conclusions. The best and REASONABLE approach to it is not to let emotions and mindless preconceptions cloud our judgement and to actually logically debate the issue. Like i stated earlier, it's a complicated issue and i find myself debating just one facet of the reform with you, and frankly just to be surprised by the utter lack of reason your arguments have made. The easy way out is to just say "toss 'em out", that is if you really don't care about the actual repercussion it'll have on our frail economy or even the social problems such an even would cause. Again, i'm willing to debate the issue as long as i actually have a substantive response and not some knee-jerk reaction.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fishing

What part of paying back taxes as an absolute requirement to even be considered for temporary residency did you not get? Temporary residency isn't even the same as Permanent residency which in turn isn't the same as CITIZENSHIP! Temporary means what it means, TEMPORARY and being temporary implies that it's not permanent thus can be rescinded and these individuals will be deported if they fail to acknowledge the stated requirements needed in order to become temporary residents. Honestly, it isn't so hard to understand if you make the effort to do so.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join