It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police property seizures ensnare even the innocent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Police property seizures ensnare even the innocent

detnews.com

Local law enforcement agencies are raising millions of dollars by seizing private property suspected in crimes, but often without charges being filed -- and sometimes even when authorities admit no offense was committed.

The money raised by confiscating goods in Metro Detroit soared more than 50 percent to at least $20.62 million from 2003 to 2007, according to a Detroit News analysis of records from 58 law enforcement agencies. In some communities, amounts raised went from tens of thousands to hundreds of thousands -- and, in one case, into the millions.

"It's like legalized stealing
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Prosecute the police; just because they hide behind a badge, doesn't make them able to hide behind the law.

We are becoming a police state, and this is exactly a prime example of how corrupt law enforcement will use their advantages.

Where is all their money going? They makes millions a month off traffic violations alone in my county..

The corruption goes deep.

detnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/11/09 by xstealth]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
This just in: the government steals.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I expect this cash cow to keep booming.

Think about it. In most cases it is your word against theirs.

If you don't fork over the goods, you might find yourself fighting some serious bogus charges.

Texas

Gary Tuchman and Katherine Wojtecki report for CNN that Roderick Daniels was traveling through Shelby County in October 2007. The Tennessee man was pulled over by Tenaha police near the Louisiana state line. Police said he was driving 37 mph in a 35 mph zone, and they imprisoned him.

While in jail, Daniels says he was threatened with money-laundering charges. Conveniently, the Tenaha police offered to let him go. All he had to do was sign papers that released property to them. Frightened and far from home, Daniels signed. He was required to surrender his jewelry and $8,500 cash.

“I actually thought this was a joke,” Daniels said to CNN. He said that one of the officers tried on some of the jewelry in front of him.

personalmoneystore.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

Love my country - Fear my government

Saw that on a bumper sticker... says it all.

Trust none of them.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Yuck, bumper stickers. The bane of the automobile.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
I expect this cash cow to keep booming.

Think about it. In most cases it is your word against theirs.

If you don't fork over the goods, you might find yourself fighting some serious bogus charges.

Texas

Gary Tuchman and Katherine Wojtecki report for CNN that Roderick Daniels was traveling through Shelby County in October 2007. The Tennessee man was pulled over by Tenaha police near the Louisiana state line. Police said he was driving 37 mph in a 35 mph zone, and they imprisoned him.

While in jail, Daniels says he was threatened with money-laundering charges. Conveniently, the Tenaha police offered to let him go. All he had to do was sign papers that released property to them. Frightened and far from home, Daniels signed. He was required to surrender his jewelry and $8,500 cash.

“I actually thought this was a joke,” Daniels said to CNN. He said that one of the officers tried on some of the jewelry in front of him.

personalmoneystore.com...

I know this story, they made a big thing on 60 minutes about it this August. The only funny thing about this is that the sheriff doing this is black. People may say why is a minority doing this to his own people and such, don't he sympathize with them or show empathy. The short answer is no. Just because your black or whatever minority doesn't stop you from being a predator of your own or other people. You also have to thing about the mentality of a person going to be a cop. He had the big man syndrome, that is I have the badge and I decide what is right and wrong, and I'm in charge period. In a narcissistic way, he consider himself above everyone else as did the people (like the judge and prosecutor) did when they helped him facilitate this scam. They don't say what it is because of the MSM and th govt. wanting to tone down the rhetoric, but it's a classic shake down of people for personal profit.

And as with in Detroit and other places local and federal, they are increasingly using asset seizure to fund projects and enrich themselves is going to be the norm and much more in the near future. It will be like any third world country where the cop and judge and prosecutor will take a piece and the mayor will get a piece, in order to protect the racket and enrich themselves. When the pension implosion and salaries and inflation slam into this country and the govt. officials and cops find out that they are hurt also, you will see corruption like mexico.

MBF

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I got into an argument with my county commissioner about our new sheriff not writing enough tickets. I told him that the sheriff was doing his job by cleaning up the crime in the county and bringing income into the county was NOT his job.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Damn, is this illegal and a violation of liberty and freedom or what? The system here will never get bette or learn...this is a sign, the coproations are stilla thard work,along with the governemnt...and here is the outcome.
That guy in Lousiana, he was held for driving 2 mph over the speed limit? why was he arrested and taken in? Dont cops usualy issue just a ticket for that? or did the guy do soemthing else? aka start a fight with the cop? didnt keep his mouth shut and only speak when its a legitmite question form the cop? it dosnt make any sense whatsoeever..
for them to pull out a form, for property claiming..its kinda like a yahoo scam i used to get in my emails...
Hello sir, were form south africa, Nigeria, kenya, ect ect and a rich family has left $20 million in our bank account...all i have to, id wire my bank account or come their to get it. In reality, IF yuor dumb enough to go thier, yuo will be arrestted and detained, until you can pay them thier ransom money*
Seems to be the same thing here we see, in the land of the free AMERICA

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As messed up as the entire situation is, I just get this overwhelming feeling of "yeah, those are cops being cops". It's really sad when you can't even trust those who are supposed to be protecting you to not rob you blind, treat you unfairly, and stick you with a million bogus charges because they can.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Due process is dead.

Welcome to the largest Banana Republic on Earth.

top topics

join