It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 Interesting Science Facts

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Alaskan Man

Number 18 is blank.
How about
18. The moon average distance is about 238,000 miles away.
The geosynchronous satellites are about 22,278 miles away
from Earth.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Number 18 is blank.
How about
from Earth.

hmm I don't think its blank, I think its math or code related and I/we don't get it, but eh i could be wrong, I just don't see why they would leave the dashes there...

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Number 79 may be wrong.
79)Even traveling at the speed of light it would take 2 million years
to reach the Andromeda Galaxy.

I think as you approach the speed of light time slows down.
The Cigar shaped UFO "beamships" can fold space. Time = Zero
They create a portal and then fly through it.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Another scientific observation I'd like to add is that it takes
more than 34 instances of Hyperinflation to make ppl
remember what caused it and stop it.

34 past instances of Hyperinflation

I am not blaming the current admin, this train wreck was well
on its way long before the current batch of corporate crony's
took power.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

4. 10 percent of all human beings ever born are alive at this very moment.

14. The Earth is 4.56 billion years old…the same age as the Moon and the Sun.

15. The dinosaurs became extinct before the Rockies or the Alps were formed.

23. One million, million, million, million, millionth of a second after the Big Bang the Universe was the size of a …pea.

I have a feeling that in the future people will laugh about this kind of statements as we laugh when we think people used to believe the earth was not round and the sun orbited around the earth.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by polar]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

reply to post by captaintyinknots

The astronauts brought back rocks from the moon.
NASA did carbon dating on them. 4.6 Billion years old

As someone else said above, they used "radiometric dating" to determine the age of moon rocks.

You can only use carbon-14 dating on things that were once alive -- and alive "relatively" recently (far more recently than 4.5 billion years).

Every living thing takes in carbon-14 while it is alive. The ratio of carbon-12 to carbon-14 is a constant for all living things. Upon death, the organism stops taking in carbon, and the amount of carbon-14 decays; however the amount of carbon-12 does not. The differences in this ratio can give an approximation as to how many years ago the organism died.

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
1. I thought that was m/s2 as in squared?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

I pointed out your mistake at the bottom of the Page 1.
Click on the link.
- Wikipedia Moon Rock -

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Number 54 is disgusting!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

55/ More germs are transferred shaking hands than kissing.

nice thread but I'm already seeing some false statements from these "scientists"

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

On the topic of the age of the Earth, Moon and Sol, Im not sure about exact dating and how accurate that would be but I can tell you I believe them all to be the same age as they are all leftovers from a supernova. In reality, Everything you see in the Universe is exactly the same age. Remember matter in not destroyed, It is transformed to another atate or element, or converted to energy.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alaskan Man

Number 18 is blank.
How about
from Earth.

hmm I don't think its blank, I think its math or code related and I/we don't get it, but eh i could be wrong, I just don't see why they would leave the dashes there...

[edit on 11/12/2009 by Alaskan Man]

Hmmm, it looks like Fibonacci Sequence to me.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

91/ The mortality rate if bitten by a Black Mamba snake is over 95%.

I guess the 5% that survive get to the hospital and take some antivenom.

When warding off a bigger threat or feeling very threatened, the black mamba usually delivers multiple strikes, injecting its potent neuro- and cardiotoxin with each strike, often attacking the body or head, unlike most other snakes. It can strike up to 12 times in a row. A single bite from a black mamba injects enough venom to kill anywhere from 20–40 grown men, easily killing one unless the appropriate anti-venom is administered in time....Males are equipped with hemipenes, or a dual set of penises. Copulation is prolonged. When breeding takes place, two mambas twist their bodies together and begin mating which can last up to 2 whole days.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Thanks for posting, it was fun to read and made a change from all the doom and gloom going on at the moment

I have been a reader on and off of this site, since way back in the 56k days when the forums were really small and the site was mainly articles.

Your thread compelled me to join in, here are my favourites:

5. The Earth spins at 1,000 mph but it travels through space at an incredible 67,000 mph.

Interesting, would that mean the earth would appear to stop spinning if you were traveling at 1,000 mph

9. Every second around 100 lightning bolts strike the Earth.

This one got me thinking of the POTENTIAL...

-There's around 6.5 billion people in the world.

-Based on 4 people sharing a home that's around 1.6 billion homes in the world.

-The average American home would need 12 lightning strikes worth of power a year to run.

That means that to power the (residential) world would take around 19 billion lightning strikes a year.

Going on 100 lightning strikes a second, that's 8,640,000 day world wide, that's 3,153,600,000 lightning strikes a year.

Not nearly enough to power the world without serious cut-backs on power consumption.

There goes my childhood dream of the world being run by lightning.....Unless we could artificially INDUCE it (HAARP?),
that would be crazy though can you imagine the sky constantly flickering with electrical discharges? Flying might be hazardous!

10. Every year lightning kills 1000 people.

Maybe those 1000 bolts of lightning wouldn't be killing people every year if w were using them all.

21. Astronauts cannot belch – there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.

Does this mean they pee gas?

[edit on 12-11-2009 by v1cT0Ry1984]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:01 PM
link   

12. If you could drive your car straight up you would arrive in space in just over an hour.

It's generally accepted that space starts at the Karman Line, approx. 100 km (62 mi) above the surface of the Earth, where the velocity to maintain sufficient aerodynamic lift begins to exceed orbital velocity.

Assuming I could drive my car straight up, it would take around 35 s to reach its top speed of 255 km/h. To cover the rest of the distance would take approx. 24 minutes. So I wonder what auto the author was thinking of that would take over an hour? A Trabant maybe?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
That was a very fun list. Very enjoyable thank you. S&F

I love cool lists like that. Some of those facts are very interesting.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
" 3. October 12th, 1999 was declared “The Day of Six Billion” based on United Nations projections. "

The Day of Six Billion - WHAT?? Days on the earth? There is NO WAY they could know that!!

More Proof that the U.N is part of the NWO and trying to impose it's views on the people.

Oh and there's a bunch of others I don't agree with but this one sticks out cus it's the silliest. I am shocked no one else bothered to question it!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Uhhh that's 6 billion people...

You also got me buggered as to how 6 billion people/days equates to the UN being apart of the NWO...?!?

[edit on 13/11/09 by Chadwickus]

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Oh .. O.k. it's Six Billion people.. No Problem.. the same.. There is NO WAY they could know that!.. Remember these are supposed to be FACTS.. and facts Must be provable to be considered Facts!

About the NWO.. no one in their right mind would claim such nonsense unless they were trying to pull the wool over someone eyes. The powers that be of the NWO seek to do just that.. so if the U.N make such outrageous claims as facts then is only serves to suggest they are part of this faction that seeks to bring about the NWO.

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
I was wondering about 'The day of six billion' too, and if it is 6 billion people on the planet or whatever, how could they ever know? there are still tribes hidden in jungles that we don't know about.

And for 12, it doesn't state what speed the car is driving to get to space in just over an hour, so would 15mph get me there in just over an hour or would I have to drive top speed (120mph in my current car) ?

Another thing... if there are 60,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body and an individual blood cell takes about 60 seconds to make a complete circuit of the body, does that mean that the average blood cell travels at 10,000 miles per second!?

And what's with all the "million million million" numbers? don't these 'scientific' fact writers know there are larger numbers than 'million'?

[edit on 13/11/2009 by doogle]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join