It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chimp Attack Victim Unveils Horrific Injuries

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Chimp Attack Victim Unveils Horrific Injuries

news.sky.com

A woman who was mauled by her friend's chimpanzee has revealed the extent of her injuries in public for the first time.

Charla Nash appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show nine months after the attack by her friend Sandra Herold's pet chimp Travis.

The animal broke most of the bones in her face and ripped off her hands, nose, lips and eyelids during the vicious assault in Stamford, Connecticut.

A large part of her scalp is missing, she only has one thumb and is fed fluids through a straw in a hole in her face specially created by doctors.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Pet Chimpanzee Shot After Mauling US Woman

CX

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
WARNING: Some may find the images dsiturbing.

Well if this doesn't deter people from keeping nimals at home when they shouldn't be, i don't know what will.

Poor woman. I can see many people looking up and saying that it won't happen to their exotic pet, but would you really want to chance this happening to you or your loved ones?

Yes i know it can happen with domesticated pets like dogs too, but again, thats the chance you take.

At least she's not in pain, and she seems very positive about moving on, so i take my hat off to her for that.

CX.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Wow, I wish her all the best for the future, what a terrible "accident".

Those animals belong to their natural habitat, not in someones home or cage. I'm disgusted by Zoos and people who think they can care for an exotic animal, I hope this story helps people to understand they have no control over their "pets" behavior and shouldn't try in the first place.

I feel sorry for that chimp too.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
The really messed up thing is that the Chimp was protecting the other lady.

Or at least the Chimp thought he was.

The poor lady who got attacked had come over several times before, but had just got her hair done in a new style and wanted to show her friend.

This is just tragic in every angle.

BTW.. did you notice her hands? They were gone too.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Bizarre in the extreme. She's a very brave lady, personally I'm not sure if I'd want to live like that.

I can't believe some people are stooping so low as to use this as an example for why people shouldn't own pets, however.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Oprah Winfrey ought to be ashamed of herself for making a display of this poor woman like she was some sort of carnival sideshow freak just so Oprah could boost her show's ratings.

I never really cared for Oprah before this but now I completely despise the woman. She is no more a humanitarian than a plate of rancid meatloaf.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goathief
Bizarre in the extreme. She's a very brave lady, personally I'm not sure if I'd want to live like that.

I can't believe some people are stooping so low as to use this as an example for why people shouldn't own pets, however.

People are simply saying that we shouldn't have CHIMPS as pets... not that we shouldn't have pets.

Cats are domesticated, Dogs are domesticated, heck even many birds are domesticated, but chimps aren't... can't be... if they could... they'd be called humans.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I remember reading that this "pet" was on presription meds (Zoloft if I remember correctly...EDIT, the drug was Xanax). If that's the case, the "owner" was negligent in allowing this type of situation to happen. This is one of the most horrific pet attacks that I can remember seeing/hearing about.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by TruthIsPower]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:20 AM
link   
few things to remember about great apes like chimps and orangutans they are much stronger than average human they are very intelligent.chimps are known to kill just for the fun of it. most have intelligence of a small child. imagine a 5 yearold human who can lift 300 pounds or more easily now imagine same child pissed off or very frightened its a diaster waiting to happen. yes it was tragic yes owner was a moron. should ofatfah put her on her freak show no. whats the difference in oprah and jerry spinger 1 she make a hellovalot more cash.

top topics

join