It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fake veteran faces stolen valor charge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Fake veteran faces

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- Richard Strandlof said he survived the 9/11 attacks on the Pentagon. He said he survived again when a roadside bomb went off in Iraq, killing four fellow Marines. He'd point to his head and tell people he had a metal plate, collateral damage from the explosion.
Richard Strandlof says he didn't mean to cause harm when he lied about being a military veteran.

Richard Strandlof says he didn't mean to cause harm when he lied about being a military veteran.

None of it was true.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 11/12/2009 by whatukno]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
This is sickening. Brave men and women who dutifully serve shouldn't have their courage diminished by frauds.

As I understand it the maximum penalty for this is 1 year in prison? Shouldn't it be the same penalty as if they impersonated a police officer?

Is it a psychological thing that people would pose as military personnel? What goes through these peoples minds?

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Is it really that big a deal, though? I mean, there are liars everywhere you go with larger-than-life stories. I may have believed him if he told me about surviving the attack on the Pentagon. I would've thought he was being ridiculously farfetched by saying he survived a carbombing in Iraq too, though.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Whine Flu]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 03:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Whine Flu

My feeling is that frauds like this are akin to people who dress as policemen and commit crimes. They make the real people in uniform look bad and they dishonor people who really went through war and really made the sacrifices this man claimed to have.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
I saw this in the news, made me sick.

I'm a Desert Storm Vet and I don't consider myself a "hero" or anything like that, but I joined the military because I wanted to serve my country and do something meaningful with my life.

I wish people that get caught doing what he did were taken into a military tribunal for their punishment.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by RecentlyAwaken

I wish people that get caught doing what he did were taken into a military tribunal for their punishment.

I think I can agree with that, they want to play soldier, why not be punished like a soldier?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
10 Bucs says he was a Republican.

This is like the 101st Chairborne gone wild.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllexxisF1
10 Bucs says he was a Republican.

This is like the 101st Chairborne gone wild.

Oh yeah, republicans always appear with democrats that are running for Congress.

Hal Bidlack, a former Air Force lieutenant colonel, is one of those people. He ran for Congress as a Democrat and had Strandlof appear with him. Bidlack -- who lost to incumbent Republican Doug Lamborn -- isn't too happy.

Anymore stupid remarks you would like to make?

Moron

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by inthesticks

Um that's the OP article.

No need to call names and no need to put this into a political perspective. Frankly the people who pretend to be soldiers aren't doing anyone any service.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
What should be more alarming is the people that paraded him around as a hero before checking his credentials...

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LandonHell

This is true. But a lot of people are willing to give a former Marine the benefit of the doubt. Given that most Marines are men of courage and valor. Why should anyone question?

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

They probably shouldn't have to go through security to get on a plane either...

All kidding aside, you would think they would have at least verified weather he was enlisted military or not. Regardless of the reputation that many people from a certain branch of the armed forces may have. At the very least. But whatever.

top topics

join