It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tobacco Addict - want to stick it to the man and quit ...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
My family had/has the only gov't issued right to grow in MO. that is still approved and working as long as the permit is kept up they can't stop it but, if they ever let it go, un-renewed/payed....its all over for us anyways.
Guess I just broke T&C if you wanna look for me, remember its just relatives not me!

But as the OP states sticking it to the man? I caution saying it that way, how many americans will your quiting put out of work?
And is your quiting for your health or just political?

As far as buying the raw plants..BE CAUTIOUS...it has to be washed and dried properly or you will be ingesting lots of toxins!

The tobacco beatle is very tough! A lot tougher than any other pest I know of and the chemicals we use to keep them off our plants are truely... BAD....for humans!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Evil

I'm doing that, somewhat.

I was a 3 pack a day smoker. Now it's a half pack a day.
I used to panic when I had one pack open and only one full pack left. But I proved to myself that I can go 2 days without smoking I know I am not a slave to it anymore.

I smoke now because I like to, not because I have to.

I wish you well. It wont be easy at first but you can do it.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PSUSA
reply to post by Anti-Evil

I was a 3 pack a day smoker. Now it's a half pack a day.

Wow.

I smoke 1 pack a day as of right now, and going outside to smoke, I feel, wastes a ton of time. I don't smoke in the house for the sake of my girlfriend, who is a non-smoker. I couldn't imagine a 3 pack/day habit.

Anyway, I am glad to hear you cut it down to a half pack/day.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Just wanted to chime in to say not to dismiss the idea several other members pointed out. E-cigs.

I first learned about them in a post here back at the end of last year. I did about a months worth of research on them (this was before the big boom in popularity happened so info was scarce). I ordered my first one in January. When it arrived, I had four cigs left in an open pack and another full unopened pack. I smoked the four that were left over the next few days while I was getting used to the e-cig and I never opened the other pack. This January 21 it will be a year since my last real (or analog as they are called) cigarette and I can't explain how happy I am with the e-cig.

I don't smell like an ashtray anymore. My car doesn't stink anymore. I actually smelled "spring" for the first time in over ten years (you know, the smell of new trees and plants and rain. It was amazing). For the first time in almost five years I have not come down with the flu or a horrible sinus infection. Oh, and I don't spend ten minutes hacking up a lung when I first wake up.

I was a two pack a day smoker and I was able to switch with no problems. I highly recommend it.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by glitch88

In my experience the e-cig doesn't feel like a cigarette though. Im talking about the smoke hitting your lungs..it's satisfying in a weird way. I did not get that with e-cigs.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I up and quit in April after thinking about it for a long time. It's really hard to support a sin tax, not to mention the health aspects of it. 7 Months later I feel great, I can taste things again, and I probably smell slightly better.

I've never been a "smoking is bad" person and I'm still not. I have an occasional social cigarette and I've even bought 1 or 2 packs since I "quit". What I did accomplish was stopping my routine of every morning I wake up and have one, every 2 hours at work, every night before bed, etc etc etc. That is a huge accomplishment in my eyes and dropping from 100-150 packs a year to 2-3 packs a year makes me feel good. (Plus I have more money) HAHA.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

More than likely you didn't try the right brand or style then. It also has to do with the juice. Some are better vapor producers than others. It took me at least three months to find the perfect one and when combined with the right liquid it definitely does give a good throat hit that is similar enough to regulars that I don't miss the ritual or feel of them.

It is not for everyone, but out of all the friends I've "converted" only one went back to regular cigs. I feel like it is an ultimate "stick it to the man" act. After all, tobacco is what is taxed, not the nicotine. The way in which e-cigs have been received by the government would be worthy of an entire conspiracy topic by itself.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

well thats just it ~ At this moment in time ~ I see no upside to smoking.
I have thought about it a long time, and I cant think of a single reason to smoke. if I wasnt addicted to the damn things, I have no use for them. I'm old and they dont make me cool. just a old smoking geezer ...
so, Political YES, Health YES, Money - what money...~~!

so, I lost that argument with myself and now its just an negative addiction.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by Anti-Evil]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
How I quit 3 years ago..

1 - work your way up to Light or Ultra-Light versions of the brand you smoke/can tolerate.

2 - make a journal of your smoke-times. Log when you go out to smoke and do this for an entire week.

3 - review your times spent on a smoke-break and look for patterns - i.e. 10am each workday, 1 after lunch, 3pm, one around noon on the weekends, one when you're drinking alcohol, one when you're around others who light up etc.

4 - for the daily patterns start by moving that time up or back so it coincides with a previous/following break. You'll eventually knock one off.

Remember - smoking is 75% social-habit, 25% chemical-dependency (I made those numbers up)

Get comfortable with altering your schedule and you'll notice that you no longer "need" a smoke after lunch, at 10 o'clock break etc.

You'll eventually get to the point where you can skip smoking altogether because your internal-clock isn't telling you that you need one.

This system took me about 3 weeks to quit entirely. I was a 20-year smoker (rather moderate/social - rarely more than 1/2-pack a day)

this won't work for everyone but hopefully will help some of you.

Good luck!

posted on Nov, 13 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Everytime I have quit for a short period, I get the runs and bad stomach cramps for at least 48 hours. The blood in your veins really heats up and feels like you can feel the blood pumping throughout your whole body. My chest cracks, I start getting fits of energy that I've never had in a long time. I sleep and wake up totally refreshed in like 5 hours, hop right out of bed without having to sit up first.

I would love to find something like an e-cig or 100% tobacco to get off these manufactured smokes. What the OP describes, is exactly what happens to me everytime I stop smoking. So if I can go through that phase without actually stopping the smoking part I'm sure it would make quitting a lot easier.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join