It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012: NASA Goes on the Defensive

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
NASA on a crusade to debunk 2012 apocalypse myths PhyOrg
November 9, 2009

2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End? NASA November 6, 2009

Q: Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?

A: Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

So how accurate is NASA's recent history at forecasting major space weather events?

Scientists Predict Big Solar Cycle NASA

Dec. 21, 2006: Evidence is mounting: the next solar cycle is going to be a big one.

Solar cycle 24, due to peak in 2010 or 2011 "looks like its going to be one of the most intense cycles since record-keeping began almost 400 years ago," says solar physicist David Hathaway of the Marshall Space Flight Center. He and colleague Robert Wilson presented this conclusion last week at the American Geophysical Union meeting in San Francisco.

So much for the above prediction, read on:

New Solar Cycle Prediction May NASA

May 29, 2009: An international panel of experts led by NOAA and sponsored by NASA has released a new prediction for the next solar cycle. Solar Cycle 24 will peak, they say, in May 2013 with a below-average number of sunspots.

"If our prediction is correct, Solar Cycle 24 will have a peak sunspot number of 90, the lowest of any cycle since 1928 when Solar Cycle 16 peaked at 78," says panel chairman Doug Biesecker of the NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center.

Conclusion: Now we are again led to believe NASA is accurate in regards to predicting an event 3 years into the future, which reminds me of an American proverb, “Fooled once shame on you, fooled twice shame on me”,

Or, perhaps in NASA's case it's more like what G.W. Bush said, "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." as in NASA becoming synonymous with foolish forecasting.

Maybe they should bring back crystal balls while they're at it....

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Regenmacher]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:42 AM
link   
This is the same Nasa that bombed the moon right? uh huh.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
One thing is for certain, I have not been around ats a real long time...but long enough to know that predictions rarely come to pass! That is no matter who makes the so called predictions!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I find it interesting that they are evan making a statement!
Most likely due to the new movie 2012?
But for them to go on the defensive about it bothers me!
They don't bother with anything else, "in movies" or public domain matters..like for instance they don't come out saying that "mission to Mars" the movie...was wrong and the ship couldn't do it that way, or that idea that they make no statement whatsoever about any sci-fi movies..
Now for them to start making public announcements, "due to the movie or not" it just don't fit the NASA MO
Just makes me wonder if there is something they know or suspect.....?

top topics

join