It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thank You to All You Who Have Served

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+49 more 
posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
On this very special day, may we all take the time to remember the veterans and their considerable contributions to our freedom.

Let us pay special tribute to the fallen at Fort Hood.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/302442ff9f6e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21725cc7c11b.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/930fc8f404f8.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 2009/11/11 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 02:45 AM
link   
You're welcome!!

Let's remember ALL those who've been sacrificed by our governments!

And I saw that Applebee's is giving free meals to Vets & active duty but I think it's just here in the States....first time I've ever seen a business do this tho!

CX

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Thanks for this post.

I will be remembering elderly friends who served in the wars, and also young friends that died in the recent conflicts.

For those who find it hard to stand quiet for two minutes, or who disagree with the wars going on today, just do it for those who died in the world wars.

If it weren't for them we wouldn't have the option to agree or disagree with the politics and wars of today.

CX.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Yet again, another lesson, a reminder of the times in which this was formed.

In 1921, an unknown World War I American soldier was buried in Arlington National Cemetery. This site, on a hillside overlooking the Potomac River and the city of Washington, D.C., became the focal point of reverence for America’s veterans.

Similar ceremonies occurred earlier in England and France, where an unknown soldier was buried in each nation’s highest place of honor (in England, Westminster Abbey; in France, the Arc de Triomphe). These memorial gestures all took place on November 11, giving universal recognition to the celebrated ending of World War I fighting at 11 a.m., November 11, 1918 (the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month). The day became known as “Armistice Day.”

Armistice Day officially received its name in America in 1926 through a Congressional resolution. It became a national holiday 12 years later by similar Congressional action. If the idealistic hope had been realized that World War I was “the War to end all wars,” November 11 might still be called Armistice Day. But only a few years after the holiday was proclaimed, war broke out in Europe. Sixteen and one-half million Americans took part. Four hundred seven thousand of them died in service, more than 292,000 in battle.

Armistice Day Changed To Honor All Veterans

The Origins of Veterans Day

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Everything we are... our entire national identity, what history we have and what future we hope to give our children is entirely the product of the sacrifice countless millions of men and women have made in uniform. Regardless of your politics, your national heritage, your age or anything else.. we all as American's owe something to those in Uniform. The sacrifice, for meager pay, harsh conditions, long hours, constant danger and perhaps worst of all so much time away from family, they are the warriors that make America; America.

CX

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Thanks for that Advisor, i didn't know the details about he history of the Unknown Soldiers.

I took my kids to Westminster Abbey last month and showed them the grave of the Unknown Soldier. I was pleasantly suprised that it's one of the few, if not the only grave up there embedded in the floor that you cannot walk on.

Thanks for the lesson, i'll pass it on to the kids.

CX.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

*Salute*

That's awesome you posted a photo of a WWI veteran. They're rare these days, and their sacrifices have criminally gone unappreciated with little to no recognition by the media and public who will jump into the mosh-pit to throw elbows for the right to interview a WWII veteran.

They sometimes refer to the Korean War as the "Forgotten War" (which is absurdly still being waged under technicality, though hostilities have ceased) - but I sometimes wonder if that title should go to WWI. The "Great War", seemingly bushed aside as naught but a preamble to WWII.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 04:24 AM
link   
To my Dad and uncles, may they rest in peace, I am thankful. They inspired me to be the patriot I am today

To all my friends that served in Vietnam I salute you also.

To our service men and women a special salute to you this day.

My most heartfelt thanks to you for serving our country.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   
YES, THANK YOU!!!

What would have been my brother-in-law died in the early days of Vitenam and I am sorry that I never got the chance to meet him. Some of his unit was pinned down by VC and it was to hot for them to get out and the medics could not get to the wounded. He went around and drew fire so that they could get out. Many are alive today because he is not (received posthumous bronze star). Please do not forget his sacrifice and the sacrifices of so many others.

THANK YOU!!

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:07 AM
link   
I've removed my original comment. I feel uncomfortable with the thread for a variety of reasons.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by Ulala]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Thank you Grady and thank you for your service as well!!!

SEMPER FI

Semper

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Nice Tribute...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
[]
~from a search engine page~

Many companies sponsor promotions for Veteran's Day. Check out these free meals and other discounts. Thank you for your service!

militaryfinancenetwork.com/2008/11/08/veterans-day-free-meals-and-discount

ALSO:

Applebees Veterans Day: Free Meals for Veterans, Active Duty Military ...

Here are the details of Applebees Veterans Day offer in which both active-duty military and veterans can eat free food. Good for them, and for Krispe Creme Doughnuts which is ...
military.rightpundits.com...

The essential information is as follows:

1. All Applebees restaurants are participating in the Veterans Day free meal program including Canada. That’s 1900 restaurants in North America! See below for how to find an Applebees restaurant in your area.

2. The hours you can get a free meal are all day long!

3. You must be active duty military or a veteran.

4. You can’t eat just anything you want for free. There are six specific meal choices offered which include a chicken dish, steak, hamburger, vegetarian or pasta.

5. To prove you are really eligible you are allowed to do one of many things. You can wear your uniform, show a military ID, bring an earnings statement or any membership card from a veterans organization. Don’t forget! The honor system does not apply at Applebees restaurants when you want something for nothing.

I seem to recall that the 'Golden Corral' restaurant chain also does the 'Thank You, ' for active & veteran service personnel.

'RA' all the way

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I seem to recall that the 'Golden Corral' restaurant chain also does the 'Thank You, ' for active & veteran service personnel.

The Golden Corral here does in fact feed Vets today..

Good time to go connect with our brothers...

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Excellent thread Grady.
I salute all who have served, and say thank you to one and all who strapped on their boots. These brave men and women will in a moments notice plunge themselves into the horrors of war to protect us all. Think about that for a moment............. They will go to unfamiliar areas and risk dying to defend my right to go out and get a pizza at midnight, so I can sit and eat said pizza while complaining that I can't find anything to watch on the several hundred channels on cable TV.
Enjoy your day my Brothers.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Thank you for this post. It is a nice tribute. For everyone who has served, my family and I thank you. I count many Vets among my family and friends and while I despise war and violence, I am grateful for their sacrifices. Those I know who have fought include my Grandfather in WWII, My Uncle in Korea, My Uncle in Vietnam, My Brother in the 1st Gulf War, My Brother-in-Law just returned from Iraq, my Fiancee is former National Guard and served in this Gulf War and my godfather was killed in Vietnam when I was a baby.

[edit on 11-11-2009 by rhiannonslair]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Thank you to all the Vets in the ATS family as well as everywhere else!

The men and women who serve are true heroes.

If you see a serviceman or woman today please go out of your way to say thanks, they deserve it

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Thanks guys and gals, and thank you my dear husband.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Noodles and Company gives a free meal as well

so I have a question...as a military man myself...why do I feel uncomfortable taking a free meal for what I do as a job? I dunno...I don't count out others who do take the free meals but I just feel...awkward

I probably will not take advantage honestly

-Kyo

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Not a day goes by in which I fail to remember those who have given their lives so that we may enjoy freedom, liberty and justice.

Our ceremony begins today at 11:00.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join