It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What exactly constitutes trolling on ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JayinAR

I did not call these people idiots- I was merely saying that if I said that in a thread, in another post if that was trolling or not. I wanted to be sure that name calling was trolling... but I could disagree with the theory without calling them idiots. The whole point of this thread is to ask what trolling is. If you look at my posts my intent in this thread is not to troll. I don't know exactly where you got that idea. You're looking too closely between the lines. I was just asking what constitutes trolling on ATS... and I was asking if you say those things those things are trolling... but if you say something else... like you disagree with the theory and you don't say they're idiots that's not trolling.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well, in all honesty you can never be sure of what another's intentions are, as someone else said earlier.
That being said, I always have considered "trolling" to be just a term that people who are pissed at another member use to label the person that they are having a disagreement with.

Many times I feel that they use it as a personal attack just because they see things differently.
I really do understand what you are saying, which is why I took the time to read the thread. I was just upset that you took the opportunity to get some jabs in there at people that you didn't agree with. So, true to form, I called you a troll.

See how it works?
In the long run, I think that if you don't want to be called a troll, you should fill a post with what seems like a reasonable response and in the end makes your point that you feel that the person is an idiot.

I think others have nailed it though. Just try to explain why you feel a certain way.

I shouldn't be saying this at all really, because I know for a fact that I have violated this very rule more times than I care to think about.
Especially in the political forums. I have to tell myself often to stay away from those topics all together. Because I can flat out lose it in there.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

You make a very good point.
Something I have brought up with one moderator once.

I think that going off topic is okay at times. Sometimes it IS necessary to do some in-house cleaning, so to speak. Even if the staff don't agree with it.

Sometimes a person's actions can become so outrageous that they NEED to be met with sharp criticism... by members and mods alike. At least in my mind.

To a passerby this would be considered derailment and trolling.
Good point.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Taken from cracked.com

Internet Asperger's Syndrome (a.k.a. The Troll)

We can't take credit for this one, blogger and Internet entrepreneur Jason Calacanis coined the term "Internet Asperger's Syndrome" to describe the utter loss of all social rules and empathy that seems to hit some people for no other reason than that they happen to be communicating via keyboard and monitor at the time.

We don't need to retell all of the horror stories. A kid commits suicide on webcam while the trolls cheer him on, Anonymous mocks a suicide victim, some kids fire a baby out of a giant slingshot for a YouTube video (we're not sure if that last one actually happened but it's really just a matter of time).

Normal kids, good grades, no criminal records... but get them in a chat room and suddenly it reads like the transcript to a Charles Manson parole hearing.

In Real Life it's Called...

Asperger's Syndrome.

This rarely diagnosed but often claimed disorder is a mild form of Autism that comes with what seems to be a biological inability to show empathy for other human beings, as well as (and maybe stemming from) an inability to recognize nonverbal cues. They continually do weird, upsetting things because they don't know it's upsetting you. That part of their brain is broken.

People cringe when they hear this term because they know that a large number of the teenagers claiming Asperger's are, in fact, merely dicks.

So Why Does it Happen on the Internet?

Calacanis figured out that people who do all of their communicating online wind up mimicking Asperger's behaviors because they are imposing the same disadvantages on themselves. In both cases, when the ability to see nonverbal responses and facial expressions goes away, so does empathy. Soon the thing you're communicating with isn't a person, they're just a bunch of words on a screen. A bunch of words that the little bastard didn't even bother to spellcheck.

6 New Personality Disorders Caused by the Internet
www.cracked.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

I like that definition.

In fact, I think that is the best yet.
I work with a guy who frequents chatrooms and discussion forums and he is the textbook definition of a troll. He makes a point to create discussions that he doesn't even agree with just because he knows he will generate negative emotions in the people he is baiting into an argument. He finds it great fun.

I have tried to get him to engage this community because I know he doesn't have the grey-matter to get to half of the people here in a negative way. In fact, he would likely be ridiculed to the point that he abandoned the site within a few weeks.

Anyhow, personally the guy is awesome. Intelligent enough and extremely witty, the guy shows great empathy for others in "real life"... yet when you get him on the internet, he becomes a raging ass. The only other time you will see him act like this is when he becomes staggering drunk.

I really like that definition.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

The fact of the matter is that some people have no lives and the only real excitement they have is causing others grief.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/788d10727a48.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Come on Slayer, I didn't give you permission to post my pic.

To the OP

Are you weary of being tagged as a troll? Based on the time you been here, I would say trolling shouldn't be such an issue for you.

I personally think the Mods do a pretty good job of finding the trolls. I say if you contribute something related to the thread and remain courteous/ respectful at all times, the mods pretty much leave you alone.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Dude, that picture is hilarious!

I didn't realize that ATS was around in '83.
Admit it, that is a picture of yourself taken shortly after graduating highschool. Nice mustache.

Actually looks like another guy frustrated to the point of fury at something Phage has said.

[edit on 10-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayinAR

Dude, that picture is hilarious!

I didn't realize that ATS was around in '83.
Admit it, that is a picture of yourself taken shortly after graduating highschool. Nice mustache.

Actually looks like another guy frustrated to the point of fury at something Phage has said.

Nah..

Here's my trolling station.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/95886d785393.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   

I see you've upgraded since '83.
Nice setup.

You wouldn't want to see mine. I'm working from a makeshift "desk" which actually doubled at one time as a dresser. But it works as it has a nice bookshelf attached.

All of my software is in the drawers of the "desk"...

[edit on 10-11-2009 by JayinAR]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   

SLAYER69, I always laugh hard as Hell at that particular picture.

To the original poster, I said I considered it this thread trolling, not that I am necessarily correct.

One thing you as well as everyone else needs to remember, that the truth is subjective to a persons perspective, experiences in life, and as well how they contribute to the overall community.

My thoughts on this thread being trolling, again, I could be incorrect, are the fact that it takes from people actually figuring out a conspiracy theory, actually having a conversation about J.F.K. and Lee Harvey Oswald, and about the state of the world in general, because this thread to me distracts me from my usual mode of contribution within the online community that is within the bounds of ATS.

If that makes sense, it is my particular position and opinion, I am sure some will agree and some will disagree, and this is where you and I will come to terms and agree to disagree.

My intent was not suggestive of you having any mischievous intent, nor misdirection, nor that you are an Agent Provocateur, it was merely stating through use of comedy, that I believe I am taken off task of solving what I see as Government crimes, conspiracies, and cover-ups.

I am sure this thread however, will help the newer ATS members, in determining for themselves, what a troll is considered from the entire ATS community.

And for that, I thank you for posting it, whether I agree with it or not.

Successful Troll Song

[edit on 11-11-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

...An odd choice for the computer screen image....

Captain subtext would be telling me that you believe Phage to be a troll...

Surely not!

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
this is exactly what a troll is.

A gutless wuss who posts one post to garner attention because his mommy put him in time out.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I guess one mans troll is anothers beacon of information.

edit: to make post seem less like trolling and explore my point further.

I would call threads like this and this trolling. They are based on no facts, sometimes even fiction, lose their way very easily and go way off track. When challenged the normal response is to give no response. However by the number of stars & flags people actually believe they are being enlightened when clearly the opposite is true. As i said one mans troll is to others thought provoking.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by pazcat]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Hey buddy, whats the model of your web cam, im still having trouble trouble trying to engage it without you being aware.
. Btw, i noticed the edited screen on the geek photo and who you placed in it. I just could not stop laughing

Btw, nice and tidy office.

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I accidentally posted twice. Can a mod remove my posts?

[edit on 12-11-2009 by technical difficulties]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
[edit on 12-11-2009 by technical difficulties]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Starting a thread in Conspiracy in Religion board is pretty much trolling as none of the threads there ever have anything to do with conspiracy.
Also throwing in Athiest or religious comments in a thread that has nothing to do with religion will always turn a thread south.

and then hit.

The return key.

every couple of words.

and double space.

While using your own

Mind channeling sessions as

References for your outlandish claims

would be trolling.

Also putting "undeniable" "proof" and "Skeptics look at this" in the thread titles will get the job done. Or just go to skunk works saying you are an alien or a time travler, the mods seem to let some do it while banning others.

www.abovetopsecret.com... - a must read lots of lolz
www.abovetopsecret.com... - still trolling but he let me know in the latter pages that i could get milk steak on other planets.

[edit on 12-11-2009 by zaiger]

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thisisreallycrazyyourareallnutscantbelieveyouwrotethatwhatthehellwereyouthinkingthatwasabunchofbull annnnd gone> something like that

posted on Nov, 12 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by December_Rain

All I can say after seeing this web site below is WoW!! Thanks for sharing that. WoW!!

The Holocaust Returns (Graphic;Adult manner)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join