It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
* If you want to take a romantic cruise down the Potomac River -- or any other U.S. waterway -- there's a $3.60 tax on anyone transported by boat.
* Here's what you pay for a flight: a 7.5% tax on a domestic ticket, a $3.60 tax for each segment of a flight and, since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, a $2.50 security charge on every segment. That's in addition to a $16.10 international arrival/departure tax and a passenger-facility charge of up to $4.50.
* Fishing isn't free, either. A fisherman pays 10% of the sales price on sport-fishing equipment. Nor is archery. The federal tax on arrows is 45 cents per shaft. Quivers and broadheads are taxed at 11%.
* Buyers of handguns pay 10% of the sales price to the feds; other firearms, along with ammunition, are taxed at 11%.
* Federal tax on a pack of cigarettes was 39 cents, until Feb. 4, 2009, when it was increased to $1.01 per pack. Since Jan. 1, 2002, 44 states and the District of Columbia have increased cigarette taxes to an average of $1.23 per pack. The 39-cent-a-pack federal tobacco tax contributed $7.7 billion to the Treasury every year.
* A childhood DPT vaccine (diphtheria, pertussis, tetanus) has a 75-cent charge per shot, paid into a trust fund for those injured by the shot.
* Here is one the federal government rarely collects: a 2% tax on unauthorized wagering. Yes, it's on the books, and it is directed at criminal cartels. When you bet legally, there's a 25-cent tax on every bet you place.
Originally posted by Britguy
From what I have heard / read elsewhere, the entire income tax amount collected from US citizens does not even cover the interest payments on government borrowing - Federal Reserve etc.
Originally posted by Doc Holiday
Not counting the sales tax of items which is 6.875%
As for my earnings I pay roughly 23% of my income and then anyitem purchased I pay another 6.875% for that.....
Thats what you wanted right?
Originally posted by ..5..
I heard all taxes hidden and not snaps up 65% of what you earn.